    Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards ?

    Thanks,
    B.
    Robert11, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:17:01 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Running XP.
    >
    > How does one start the PC into Safe Mode, please ?
    >
    > What key is used ?
    >
    > Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > B.

    As you are booting the computer and just after the splash screen (or the
    white on black display that counts memory and drives) start hitting the
    'F8' key. Shortly you will be taken to another white-on-black screen where
    you get options on how you want to start up.

    HTH and HAND

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007

  3. Try the F8 key

    Anthony Beavis, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Robert11

    meerkat Guest

    "Anthony Beavis" <> wrote in message
    > Try the F8 key
    > "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Running XP.
    >>
    >> How does one start the PC into Safe Mode, please ?
    >>
    >> What key is used ?
    >>
    >> Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards
    >> ?

    You`ll get a choice of how you start up.
    meerkat, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Robert11

    Bullseye Guest

    From http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

    > If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.
    > If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    > Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    > Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    > Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    > Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    > When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.
    >
    > To use the System Configuration Utility method
    > Close all open programs.
    > Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
    > The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
    > The computer restarts in Safe mode.
    > Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
    > When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

    Another option (which is what I like to use) is to use a program from
    Superantispyware website called "Bootsafe." It is the easiest method by
    far. It comes bundled with Superantispyware, and can be downloaded from:

    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

    Bullseye, Mar 26, 2007