    I have Windows98. SpyBot (all uptodate) says everythings fine.

    Any ideas....... please.

    Peter.

    English Patient, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Re: Safe Mode (?) - Attn Old Gringo

    Phew, you were right on the money :)

    I change settings back from 640x480 to 800x600, and back from 256 colors to
    True Color.

    As if by magic everything is back to normal.

    And here was me working out just how I'd raise £400 for a new computer.

    Good stuff

    EP.

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > English Patient wrote:
    > > Ever since my computer demanded I run scan disk, and then found a bad

    sector
    > > the computer display looks like it is running on safe mode.
    > >
    > > The original background on my desktop looks all bity - just like it does
    > > when I boot up via safe mode - and the icons bottom right are all bity

    too -
    > > just like safe mode. BUT I can log onto the internet, and run any

    program as
    > > normal - so I'm NOT in safe mode.
    > >
    > > When I run Quake - a DOS based program - it looks like normal. It's just
    > > everything in Windows looks bity.
    > >
    > > I've tried shuting down and starting up numerous times, I've tried

    scanning

    English Patient, Oct 2, 2004

  3. English Patient

    Old Gringo Guest

    Re: Safe Mode (?) - It is meant to be normal mode but looks likesafe mode

    Old Gringo, Oct 3, 2004
  4. English Patient

    Old Gringo Guest

    Re: Safe Mode (?) - Attn Old Gringo

    English Patient wrote:
    > Phew, you were right on the money :)
    >
    > I change settings back from 640x480 to 800x600, and back from 256 colors to
    > True Color.
    >
    > As if by magic everything is back to normal.
    >
    > And here was me working out just how I'd raise £400 for a new computer.
    >
    > Good stuff
    >
    > EP.
    >
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>English Patient wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ever since my computer demanded I run scan disk, and then found a bad

    > sector
    >
    >>>the computer display looks like it is running on safe mode.
    >>>
    >>>The original background on my desktop looks all bity - just like it does
    >>>when I boot up via safe mode - and the icons bottom right are all bity

    > too -
    >
    >>>just like safe mode. BUT I can log onto the internet, and run any

    > program as
    >
    >>>normal - so I'm NOT in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>>When I run Quake - a DOS based program - it looks like normal. It's just
    >>>everything in Windows looks bity.
    >>>
    >>>I've tried shuting down and starting up numerous times, I've tried

    > scanning
    >
    >>>for errors - the short and long method.
    >>>
    >>>I have Windows98. SpyBot (all uptodate) says everythings fine.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas....... please.
    >>>
    >>>Peter.olor

    >>seems like your color and resolution got changed when you went into
    >>
    >> safe mode. Right click desktop select properties, then select the
    >>
    >> settings tab. set color to highest and then resolution for win98
    >>
    >> 600x800 that should go it. Good Luck
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Just West Of Nowhere