    Normal and it boots fine.

    Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.

    Any suggestions on solving this?
    Micah Torrance, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Micah Torrance

    JJW Guest

    "Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Micah Torrance <> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
    > >
    > > If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can
    > > select Normal and it boots fine.
    > >
    > > Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on solving this?

    if this is is windows XP, you could look in msconfig under the boot tab and
    see if the safe mode option is checked. however, I don't think that is the
    problem, because i believe that when the safe mode option is checked, even
    if u select "start windows normally" from the list, it will still boot to
    safe mode.

    JJW
    JJW, Aug 24, 2004

  3. On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:02:29 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >Windows can actually detect when the last boot was not successful and
    >it will automatically offer to boot into safe mode with a timeout, even
    >though normal mode might work just fine. Does it say anything to the
    >effect of "previous boot incomplete" on the menu before Windows boots
    >or does it just boot to safe mode without prompting you?
    >
    >Try looking at bootlog.txt for errors. Also, is device manager clean?
    >
    >Adam

    Device manager looks fine. No, there is no message about the previous
    boot. It goes to the WinME splash screen, then goes black and come up
    in Safe Mode.
    Micah Torrance, Aug 24, 2004
  4. On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:13:30 GMT, "Mark Mandell"
    <> wrote:

    >If it's Win98. type in 'msconfig' in the Run dialog box, click OK, click
    >'advanced' in the Msconfig window, then untick the check in "enable startup
    >menu."

    It's WinME, unfortunately.
    Micah Torrance, Aug 24, 2004
  5. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:12:44 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >"ImhoTech" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> Windows can actually detect when the last boot was not successful
    >>> and it will automatically offer to boot into safe mode with a
    >>> timeout, even though normal mode might work just fine. Does it
    >>> say anything to the effect of "previous boot incomplete" on the
    >>> menu before Windows boots or does it just boot to safe mode
    >>> without prompting you?

    >> Read the post. He isn't getting a menu.

    >He could have been hitting F8 before the menu appeared.
    >
    >Adam

    Nope, I wasn't getting a menu.
    Micah Torrance, Aug 25, 2004
  6. On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:10:23 -0400, "ImhoTech" <>
    wrote:

    >"Micah Torrance" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
    >>
    >> If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
    >> Normal and it boots fine.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on solving this?

    >Have a look at the msdos.sys file . See if it has a line like this:
    >
    >Bootsafe = 1
    >
    >If so, change the value to 0.
    >
    >Read all about msdos.sys here:
    >
    >http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB

    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
    Micah Torrance, Aug 25, 2004
  7. "Micah Torrance" <> wrote in message
    > I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
    >
    > If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
    > Normal and it boots fine.
    >
    > Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
    >
    > Any suggestions on solving this?

    "safe mode"...

    makes me wonder, what, precisely, is the alternative?
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 28, 2004
  8. "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > "Micah Torrance" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a client whose computer insists on booting to safe mode.
    > >
    > > If I strike F8 at the right moment and bring up the menu, I can select
    > > Normal and it boots fine.
    > >
    > > Otherwise, it always goes to Safe Mode.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on solving this?

    > Have a look at the msdos.sys file . See if it has a line like this:
    >
    > Bootsafe = 1
    >
    > If so, change the value to 0.
    >
    > Read all about msdos.sys here:
    >
    > http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB

    um, if 98, et. al. are operating systems in their own right(s), why, pray
    tell, do they still require msdos.sys?
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Micah Torrance

    AG Guest

    "Solomon Kozanski" <> wrote in message

    > makes me wonder, what, precisely, is the alternative?
    > --

    Linux.

    AG

    :)
    AG, Aug 28, 2004
  10. "AG" <> wrote in message

    > "Solomon Kozanski" <> wrote in

    message

    > > makes me wonder, what, precisely, is the alternative?
    > > --

    > Linux.
    >
    > AG
    >
    > :)

    touche
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 29, 2004
  11. I did as you suggested. I opened the MSDOS.sys file in Notepad and
    there were about three characters in it! I have no idea what's going
    on there.

    Win ME was recently put on in a clean install. I can find no viruses,
    cleaned out what little spyware there was, and ran diagnostic checks.

    It is still botting to Safe Mode unless I catch it with F8 and select
    Normal.

    Micah Torrance, Sep 1, 2004
  12. Micah Torrance

    Bill Guest

    This could very well be your problem.

    msdos.sys must be 1024 bytes minimum. Check your file size. See these links:

    http://support.microsoft.com/search...ys&QuerySource=gsfxSearch_Query&srchExtraQry=

    Having only 3 characters in that file means trouble. You are not
    indicating a BootGUI setting! See this link for a proper msdos.sys file:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129998

    Most likely, the sys command was used to transfer the system to the
    hard drive.

    Let us know

    Bill

    Bill, Sep 1, 2004
  13. Micah Torrance

    Bill Guest

    Hi xmp,

    I'm still researching it. I think it's worth looking at.
    I would add the bootgui=1 setting and pad it up to 1024 and see what it
    does. The MS site is vague on the whole thing. My A+ exam had this
    question on it!

    Bill

    Bill, Sep 1, 2004