Safari beta for windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nullius.filius@gmail.com, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Jul 30, 2007

  2. Guest

    , Jul 30, 2007

  3. Guest

    wrote:

    > >I have download Safari beta for windows from
    > >
    > >http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
    > >
    > >Now I would like some ad blocking. So I have
    > >been messing around with a style sheet that

    > Just use a HOSTS file.
    > http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts save as HOSTS and put in the
    > proper place.

    Thank you for your reply.

    I have a HOSTS file. I use the one from here

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    (Is the one you suggest better? I picked
    mine because it was the first hit in google.)

    But HOSTS, this blocks known ad servers.
    I want more than that. I want to block things
    like banner ads, and ads in IFrames, and
    inline ads and stuff like that. The stuff
    that a HOSTS file cannot filter.

    , Jul 30, 2007
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have download Safari beta for windows from
    >> >
    >> >http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
    >> >
    >> >Now I would like some ad blocking. So I have
    >> >been messing around with a style sheet that

    >> Just use a HOSTS file.
    >> http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts save as HOSTS and put in the
    >> proper place.

    >Thank you for your reply.

    >I have a HOSTS file. I use the one from here
    >
    >http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >
    >(Is the one you suggest better? I picked
    >mine because it was the first hit in google.)

    I like the one I linked to (bigger is better?) the MVP version blocks
    a few sites that it shouldn't, but you'll pry never run into it.

    >But HOSTS, this blocks known ad servers.
    >I want more than that. I want to block things
    >like banner ads, and ads in IFrames, and
    >inline ads and stuff like that. The stuff
    >that a HOSTS file cannot filter.

    I haven't used userContent.css - and can only offer, ensure it's in
    the proper place, and you have rebooted.

    You can use Process Monitor
    www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    to see if Safari even loads userContent.css

    Run PM stop and clear the list
    run PM start Safari wait a bit, stop the logging and search for
    userContent.css

    Not sure if it loads the file on startup or it references the file
    each time, you might need to go to an ad site to load it.
    --

    Simpsons - the movie
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8751584575437299022&hl=en

    , Jul 30, 2007
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:

    > >> Just use a HOSTS file.
    > >> http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts save as HOSTS and put in the
    > >> proper place.

    > >Thank you for your reply.

    > >I have a HOSTS file. I use the one from here
    > >
    > >http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > >
    > >(Is the one you suggest better? I picked
    > >mine because it was the first hit in google.)

    > I like the one I linked to (bigger is better?) the MVP version blocks
    > a few sites that it shouldn't, but you'll pry never run into it.
    >
    > >But HOSTS, this blocks known ad servers.
    > >I want more than that. I want to block things
    > >like banner ads, and ads in IFrames, and
    > >inline ads and stuff like that. The stuff
    > >that a HOSTS file cannot filter.

    > I haven't used userContent.css - and can only offer, ensure it's in
    > the proper place, and you have rebooted.
    >
    > You can use Process Monitor
    > www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
    > to see if Safari even loads userContent.css
    >
    > Run PM stop and clear the list
    > run PM start Safari wait a bit, stop the logging and search for
    > userContent.css
    >
    > Not sure if it loads the file on startup or it references the file
    > each time, you might need to go to an ad site to load it.

    I figured this newsgroup was chock full of early users of software.
    Kinda wanted a quick yes or no :)

    For the moment I'll just write off Safari as too beta.

    Thank you for your help

    , Jul 31, 2007
  6. pcbutts1 Guest

    The instructions are for Safari on a Mac not windows.

    pcbutts1, Jul 31, 2007
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    >I figured this newsgroup was chock full of early users of software.
    >Kinda wanted a quick yes or no :)
    >
    >For the moment I'll just write off Safari as too beta.
    >
    >Thank you for your help

    Prove it doesn't work, and send a report to Safari; it's how Beta
    works.

    http://ipac.jpl.nasa.gov/media_images/sig05-010.jpg

    , Jul 31, 2007