Sad but true, Another X64 tale.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by sazzbot, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. sazzbot

    sazzbot Guest

    Like many other before me, I decided it was time to get a 64 bit system.
    I got a combo from the "Geeks" which I placed in an old enclosure with
    a new power supply. The combo wouldn't load winxp 32, win 98 or
    anything else. It wouldn't even boot a hard drive with win xp on it.
    Good thing MS offered a trial 64 bit XP. I downloaded it, burned it,
    loaded it and "poof"! I have a 64 bit operating system. The video is
    on the motherboard and the LED mouse works fine as does the ethernet
    adapter (onboard as well). As a matter of fact, as an internet browser
    it's just great, but not noticebly better than my old socket A 1 gig
    duron set up.
    It's just wonderful! Everything works! (unless you want to add a
    peripheral like a printer, a network card, a video capture card, a
    bluetooth adapter, a serial port adapter; actually 100% of the devices
    I tried to install didn't load.)
    I was going to try to load some regular software, but whats the point?
    I can't print, copy, scan, send or retrieve anything unless it goes
    through my old stand-by computer anyway, and even then, it didn't like
    the way I set up the LAN. But I threatened to take away 1 gig of
    memory and it finally let itself be recognized by the network.
    I spent one day trying to get drivers that would work with any device.
    Even the Vista 64 bit drivers wouldn't work. It was like giving myself
    a wedgie, only faster!

    So, I thought I would just buy device that would work with win 64. Try
    that!
    The amount of time I have spent looking at specs (and not finding x64)
    is going against the faster speed and reliability of the OS. (which is
    a misnomer, sure it's reliable and stable, it doesn't DO anything.) I
    will be too old to see the screen and probably won't care when I escape
    from the nursing home to get the first compatible usb device!

    The funny thing is that when you look at the new systems for sale, most
    of them are 64 bit. Probably Vista though, but way too slow. Does Linux
    have a 64 bit OS?

    So if anyone knows where a feller can buy a x64 wireless G usb dongle,
    you know where I'll be....

    --
    sazzbot
    sazzbot's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=32308

    http://forums.techarena.in
    sazzbot, Oct 5, 2007

  2. sazzbot

    John Barnes Guest

    I suggest you try to find out why you couldn't load XP 86 as millions have
    it installed on 64-bit platforms. You might get help in the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup

    John Barnes, Oct 5, 2007

  3. The list of printers that work is long and well documented. And the
    workarounds for ones that don't work directly are also well documented.
    (I've been keeping a blog of such things for well over 2 years now.) Of
    course, if you buy a printer that uses "host based printing", you're out of
    luck. And scanners are the pits and still very badly supported, I'd agree.
    But there are options that work.

    Network cards? Please. I haven't seen a modern ethernet card that isn't
    supported. There are wireless that aren't, but equally ones that are. And
    there are USB NICs that aren't supported, but frankly who cares.

    Video capture? There are a couple that work, I believe. Carlos will probably
    weigh in with those.

    Bluetooth? well, if that didn't work, I wouldn't have a mouse! Yes, there
    are bluetooth devices that don't work. But many do.

    Serial port adapter? How about using one of those USB<->Serial adapters.
    I'm pretty sure they work. I'm not surprised that generic PCI serial port
    cards don't - there just isn't all that much market or call for them in the
    64bit world at this point.

    Do your homework. Intelligent buying decisions will make you fully
    functional. Keep in mind that the folks on this newsgroup have been running
    Windows x64, primarily XP x64, for well over 2 years. So saying it can't be
    done isn't likely to cut it here. Now, asking about specific hardware or
    types of hardware and what might good choices be? That will get you help.
    That's what we do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 5, 2007
  4. Did somebody say Carlos?
    On the video capturing side I have always used the easy approach, like those
    suggestions of you about using a COM port Modem, PCL Postscript printer, etc.
    It is simply Firewire (a.k.a. IEEE-1394) either embedded in the mobo or a
    PCI card.
    XP x64 and Vista x64 have native drivers for those chipsets.
    I am currently using a very old ADS tech Firewire PCI Card (Pyro 1394 DV) in
    Vista x64.
    I have so far plugged two different Digital Video Camcorders and captured
    video from them.
    Now, if the OP wants something more elaborate like USB capture module or PCI
    capture card or whatever he likes, there's this page
    http://www.videoguys.com/vidcap.htm
    where he will find a comprehensive list of manufacturers of video capture
    thingies.
    I leave him the homework of checking x64 drivers availability.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 5, 2007
  5. Thanks, Carlos. I knew you would be tuned in there. Not anything I do much
    of, so haven't been paying attention.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64