S50 dropped in saltwater

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Fleming, May 3, 2004.

  1. John Fleming

    John Fleming Guest

    Hello,

    I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    recommendation of somebody at the scene.

    Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
    the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
    static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
    next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
    reaction from any of the buttons.

    After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
    battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
    that is it, no response from anything at all.

    I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
    ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
    for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
    Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
    a new battery would fix the problem?

    If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

    John

    John Fleming, May 3, 2004

  2. John Fleming

    Mark M Guest

    "John Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    > S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    > rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    > recommendation of somebody at the scene.
    >
    > Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
    > the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
    > static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
    > next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
    > reaction from any of the buttons.
    >
    > After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
    > battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
    > that is it, no response from anything at all.
    >
    > I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    > saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
    > ideas I could try to fix it.

    The camera is toast.
    Cut your losses (or make a claim, if you're covered), and move on.
    :(
    Sad...But there are few things more destructive to this kind of device than
    sea water.

    Mark M, May 3, 2004

  3. John Fleming

    Drifter Guest

    On 2 May 2004 18:43:04 -0700, (John Fleming) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    >S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently.

    Ouch!
    Give it a decent burial and go get a new camera.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, May 3, 2004
  4. John Fleming wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    > S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    > rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    > recommendation of somebody at the scene.
    >
    > Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
    > the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
    > static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
    > next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
    > reaction from any of the buttons.
    >
    > After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
    > battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
    > that is it, no response from anything at all.
    >
    > I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    > saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
    > ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
    > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
    > Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
    > a new battery would fix the problem?
    >
    > If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.
    >
    > John

    I think the biggest mistake you made was trying to turn it one while wet. Think
    short circuit. It's probably fried.

    I made the same mistake when I dropped my PDA in fresh water.

    --
    Ben Thomas

    Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
    limit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, May 3, 2004
  5. (John Fleming) writes:

    > I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    > S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    > rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    > recommendation of somebody at the scene.

    As I recall, Nikon's recommendation for their Nikonos cameras with failed
    seals resulting in saltwater leadkage is to first give it up, second put it
    in fresh water and keep it in fresh water till you can get it to to a
    repair center, third give it up. Most likely, Nikon says, it cannot be
    repaired. Salt water is very conductive and appallingly corrosive. Rinsing
    it out with fresh water is not enough. And Nikonoses are film cameras with
    some electronics; I fear your digital camera is truly and sincerely dead.

    >SNIP<
    > I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    > saltwater got into the camera circuitry,

    I think the expression here is "Well, duh."

    > but does anybody have any
    > ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
    > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
    > Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
    > a new battery would fix the problem?

    There is no likelihood that anything wrong can be fixed by a consumer. If
    you have not completely rinsed out the salt, I am confident the interior is
    seriously corroded. A trip to a repair shop will confirm whether it can be
    fixed, but there will be a fee to do the estimate.

    Phil Stripling, May 3, 2004
  6. John Fleming

    O R Guest

    Soaking the camera in fresh water *was* the correct thing to do to rinse
    out the salt water, but after that you should have soaked it in 91%
    isopropyl alcohol to rinse out the *fresh* water.

    A professional would then take the camera apart (do not try this at
    home!) and subject the pieces to an ultrasonic bath. It may or may not
    be too late for this step, but the labor cost may exceed that of a new
    camera.

    O R, May 3, 2004
  7. John Fleming

    Savidge4 Guest

    Have you thought about your credit card company? You may be covered under a
    purchase protection program that will assist you in recovering your loss.

    Savidge4, May 3, 2004
  8. John Fleming

    EF in FLA Guest

    > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

    Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it in,
    tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

    EF in FLA, May 3, 2004
  9. John Fleming

    Mark M Guest

    "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message
    > > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

    > Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it

    in,
    > tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

    Nice.

    Mark M, May 3, 2004
  10. (John Fleming) writes:
    >Hello,

    >I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    >S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    >rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    >recommendation of somebody at the scene.

    The most important thing to do first is remove the battery (or all of
    them, if more than one). The combination of salt water and electrical
    power will cause damaging corrosion in minutes. Then you can try the
    fresh water rinse.

    >Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
    >the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
    >static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
    >next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
    >reaction from any of the buttons.

    Really bad idea. This just supplied battery power to all of the
    circuits in the camera, rather than just a few. You probably caused
    additional damage at this point.

    >After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
    >battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
    >that is it, no response from anything at all.

    The point of rinsing with fresh water is to get the salt water away from
    things that can corrode. When you're done, you still have a camera
    that's saturated with water, and which still needs to be dismantled and
    dried out. Letting it sit for a few days will not do this. Corrision
    still happens with fresh water, just more slowly.

    >I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    >saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
    >ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
    >for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
    >Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
    >a new battery would fix the problem?

    At this point, it's likely unrepairable for less than the cost of a new
    camera.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 3, 2004
  11. John Fleming

    John Fleming Guest

    "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message news:<sUplc.551282$>...
    > > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

    > Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it in,
    > tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

    Hehehe... You sound like my wife. I guess it is worth a try.

    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll definitely be more prepared the
    next time this happens ;).

    John

    John Fleming, May 3, 2004
  12. John Fleming

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Mark M <> wrote:

    >"John Fleming" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    >> S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    >> rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    >> recommendation of somebody at the scene.
    >>
    >> Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
    >> the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
    >> static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
    >> next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
    >> reaction from any of the buttons.
    >>
    >> After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
    >> battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
    >> that is it, no response from anything at all.
    >>
    >> I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    >> saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
    >> ideas I could try to fix it.

    >The camera is toast.
    >Cut your losses (or make a claim, if you're covered), and move on.
    :mad:
    >Sad...But there are few things more destructive to this kind of device than
    >sea water.

    I generally agree, but things *can* work out (but are not guaranteed
    to) if NO electricty flows and the circuit boards are washed in
    good fresh water as soon as possible.

    What the washing will do to the lens elements is another story.

    Sea water is no good because the salt will corrode the electronic
    connections.

    However with a battery in the camera there is no doubt that
    large scale frying took place. Everything was shorted out.
    Turning the camera ON while it was wet also did its job.

    If this happened to me I'd immediately remove the batteries,
    soak the camera in clean (prefereably distilled water) as soon
    as possible, and then let it dry completely and slowly.[*]

    Then the question is do I put a new battery back in (the old
    one is almost certainly toast) and check things out or do I
    ship it off for repair.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    [*] The problem here is that much "clean, fresh water" isn't.
    It contains some dissolved salts. It is the salts that are
    the culprit in corroding delicate circuitry.

    Paul J Gans, May 3, 2004
  13. John Fleming

    Mark M Guest

    "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message
    > > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

    > Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it

    in,
    > tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

    People like you make everything more expensive because we have to make up
    for your mistakes and deception in higher prices.

    I don't need people like you around...
    ....PLONK.

    Mark M, May 4, 2004
  14. In article <>,
    (O R) wrote:

    > Soaking the camera in fresh water *was* the correct thing to do to rinse
    > out the salt water, but after that you should have soaked it in 91%
    > isopropyl alcohol to rinse out the *fresh* water.
    >
    > A professional would then take the camera apart (do not try this at
    > home!) and subject the pieces to an ultrasonic bath. It may or may not
    > be too late for this step, but the labor cost may exceed that of a new
    > camera.

    Isopropyl alcohol will migrate solder flux, lead oxide, and grease onto
    the optics. Then there will be no possible repair following that.

    Purified water is the correct solution but even that isn't always safe.
    The real problem is that the battery wasn't removed the instant the
    camera got wet. It's probably destroyed now.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 4, 2004
  15. John Fleming

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    (John Fleming) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
    > S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
    > rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
    > recommendation of somebody at the scene.
    >
    > Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
    > the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
    > static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
    > next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
    > reaction from any of the buttons.
    >
    > After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
    > battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
    > that is it, no response from anything at all.
    >
    > I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
    > saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
    > ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
    > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
    > Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
    > a new battery would fix the problem?
    >
    > If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.
    >
    > John

    Purchase a Canon camera and dive case for it next time. Exposing
    cameras to beach air isn't a great idea. Dropping them in the water is
    even worse. Canon offers dive cases for most of their compact line for
    under $200.

    nospam, May 7, 2004
  16. John Fleming

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <sUplc.551282$>, "EF in FLA"
    <> writes:

    >Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it in,
    >tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

    Well I see that your parents never taught you not to steal !!

    Well at least now, you've easilly pegged yourself as a member
    of the lower class...................

    Azzz1588, Aug 8, 2004