    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Dave Saville

    Nick Guest

    "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    news:fV45K0OBJxbE-pn2-IPd0LcXnCuj4@localhost...
    > My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
    > button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
    > using the #<provider> suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
    > gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
    > rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
    > handsets. :-(

    Hi I was looking at this phone. Apparently the base unit works with any dect
    gap compatible handset.

    AIUI the S450IP allows you to make two similtaneous calls and assign
    different extensions to different sip numbers. Is this still possible using
    bog standard GAP handsets or does it only work with the siemans S450 ones.

    The reason I ask is that I like my house to have 4 dect phones (which I
    already own) and would be happy to pay £100 for the siemans base unit and
    one handset but consider it a bit steep to have to pay £250 for a 4 handset
    system.?

    So could I just buy the base and use my existing handsets?
    Nick, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:18:16 UTC, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    > "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > > My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
    > > button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
    > > using the #<provider> suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
    > > gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
    > > rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
    > > handsets. :-(
    > >

    > Hi I was looking at this phone. Apparently the base unit works with any dect
    > gap compatible handset.
    >
    > AIUI the S450IP allows you to make two similtaneous calls and assign
    > different extensions to different sip numbers. Is this still possible using
    > bog standard GAP handsets or does it only work with the siemans S450 ones.
    >
    > The reason I ask is that I like my house to have 4 dect phones (which I
    > already own) and would be happy to pay œ100 for the siemans base unit and
    > one handset but consider it a bit steep to have to pay œ250 for a 4 handset
    > system.?
    >
    > So could I just buy the base and use my existing handsets?

    The answer is - it depends. :) I have some *really* old Samsung
    handsets and they work fine. What you don't get are all the bells and
    whistles of course. You can select which SIP line to go out on by
    suffixing the number #<provider>. That works on the old sets. You can
    also assign which SIP line rings which phones. Some thins are bizarre
    - For instance there is a default line for the base - ie fixed or SIP
    and any call without a suffix goes out over the default - except speed
    dial which goes out on the non default! luckily one can suffix
    directory numbers with # or * and that overrides. The thing I miss
    most from my Zyxel is you can't tell it the real world IP. I have
    fixed IPs. Possibly someone would supply and take it back if the
    phones won't register.

    An odd problem I had is that one of my providers is voiptalk and even
    though the router has SIP ALG enabled and every other provider and
    direct peer to peer worked, they did not until I used the outbound
    proxy as well. I thought the idea of SIP ALG was that one did not have
    to faff around with stun and proxies.

    To answer my own original question - power cycling the base restores
    normal working but how it gets it's knickers in a twist I have no
    idea. Still very new but I like it.

    HTH

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Dave Saville

    TheFug Guest

    Nick schreef:
    > "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    >> My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
    >> button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
    >> using the #<provider> suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
    >> gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
    >> rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
    >> handsets. :-(
    >>

    > Hi I was looking at this phone. Apparently the base unit works with any dect
    > gap compatible handset.
    >
    > AIUI the S450IP allows you to make two similtaneous calls and assign
    > different extensions to different sip numbers. Is this still possible using
    > bog standard GAP handsets or does it only work with the siemans S450 ones.
    >
    > The reason I ask is that I like my house to have 4 dect phones (which I
    > already own) and would be happy to pay £100 for the siemans base unit and
    > one handset but consider it a bit steep to have to pay £250 for a 4 handset
    > system.?
    >
    > So could I just buy the base and use my existing handsets?

    Why not use an ATA ? you can use any normal or DECT phone then....
    or a Fritz!box in combination with a (home) phone central/switch..

    --

    The Fug.

    ( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
    TheFug, Jan 31, 2008
  5. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:17:50 UTC, TheFug <> wrote:

    > Nick schreef:
    > > "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > >> My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
    > >> button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
    > >> using the #<provider> suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
    > >> gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
    > >> rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
    > >> handsets. :-(
    > >>

    > > Hi I was looking at this phone. Apparently the base unit works with any dect
    > > gap compatible handset.
    > >
    > > AIUI the S450IP allows you to make two similtaneous calls and assign
    > > different extensions to different sip numbers. Is this still possible using
    > > bog standard GAP handsets or does it only work with the siemans S450 ones.
    > >
    > > The reason I ask is that I like my house to have 4 dect phones (which I
    > > already own) and would be happy to pay œ100 for the siemans base unit and
    > > one handset but consider it a bit steep to have to pay œ250 for a 4 handset
    > > system.?
    > >
    > > So could I just buy the base and use my existing handsets?
    > >

    > Why not use an ATA ? you can use any normal or DECT phone then....
    > or a Fritz!box in combination with a (home) phone central/switch..

    So what ATA lets you use normal DECT phone(s) and have two
    conversations at once using two handsets on the same base station?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Feb 1, 2008
  6. Dave Saville

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > My new S450IP has thrown a wobbly in that if I press the IP selection
    > button it says "not possible!" but calls come in OK and calls go out
    > using the #<provider> suffix trick. Pressing the "Fixed Line" button
    > gives a screen to input the number - as the IP button used to. I tried
    > rebooting the base and the IP button worked once. This is on all
    > handsets. :-(

    What exactly do you mean by "the IP selection button" and "the fixed
    line selection button"? There are no such buttons on the phone.
    Generally you select the "default line type" in the web interface on in
    the menus on the handset, then you press the green "dial" button briefly
    to use the default line type and hold it in to select the "non-default"
    line type, where the type is simply IP or fixed line. You can over-ride
    this at any time using the suffixes as you say.

    Can you describe exactly which buttons you are pressing on the handset
    to get the "not possible" error you are seeing?

    Also, check that you have that particular handset assigned to make it's
    outbound IP calls via an IP account on the base that is actually
    registered and working (need to web browse to it for this). As if you
    try to make an IP call through an account that is not working, then you
    will see that error.

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul Hayes, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Dave Saville

    mr deo Guest

    > So what ATA lets you use normal DECT phone(s) and have two
    > conversations at once using two handsets on the same base station?
    >
    > --

    I dont know of any "cheap" Dect phones that have 2 POTS lines.
    I did wonder however if these Spermens Phones suffer if you have 2 VoIP
    calls going out at the same time :/...
    I did buy a dect phone at xmas for my mother and it supported "one touch"
    changing to other base stations so I guess it would be possible to have a
    ton of lines, but there's no way that would be anything as flexible as the
    single box solution.
    mr deo, Feb 9, 2008
  8. Dave Saville

    Christian Guest

    > I did wonder however if these Spermens Phones suffer if you have
    > 2 VoIP calls going out at the same time :/...

    That works fine on my S450IP. I very often have 2 outgoing calls or 1
    outgoing and 1 ingoing VOIP calls happening at the same time, and that
    doesn't give any problems. I do have to say that I use G711 (the least
    processing for the base station). I can imagine things get more difficult
    with two G726/G729/G722 calls happening at the same time.

    > I did buy a dect phone at xmas for my mother and it supported "one touch"
    > changing to other base stations so I guess it would be possible to have a
    > ton of lines, but there's no way that would be anything as flexible as the
    > single box solution.

    On top of that: your hanset wouldn't ring on an incoming second line if it
    was registered on the first base station if another call was already taking
    place on that line.

    Christian
    Christian, Feb 9, 2008
  9. In article <47ad84ba$0$85795$4all.nl>,
    Christian <> wrote:
    >> I did wonder however if these Spermens Phones suffer if you have
    >> 2 VoIP calls going out at the same time :/...

    >That works fine on my S450IP. I very often have 2 outgoing calls or 1
    >outgoing and 1 ingoing VOIP calls happening at the same time, and that
    >doesn't give any problems. I do have to say that I use G711 (the least
    >processing for the base station). I can imagine things get more difficult
    >with two G726/G729/G722 calls happening at the same time.

    AIUI, DECT uses G726 between base and handset, so the least processing
    would be to get the base to use g726 to the upstream carrier (if they
    support it)

    G726 transcoding is relatively "light" on CPU cycles needed (compared to
    G729, GSM, etc.) I've used it a few times when I've been tring to reduce
    bandwidth in places. Quality-wise, it's not too bad either - I think
    G729 is supposed to sound better though (for much lower bandwdith).

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 9, 2008