    like to buy it when it's near $300.

    Thank you for reply.

    Chuck

    CNT, Sep 30, 2003

  2. CNT

    Ben T. Cohen Guest

    "CNT" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am still going for the Canon S45 (4MP). I just want to make sure I am
    > understanding this clearly. The S50 makes image noise only at 50-100
    > settings? All others, 200-400, it will be beautiful? IF that's the case,
    > then I would better off with the 5MP since I would almost only shoot at 400
    > (maybe I would drop to 200 for fun)? Right? But I will be learning and
    > practicing with this new one.
    >
    > I am asking because I am not anywhere near experts on digital imaging.
    > Please prove me images that shows the noise. I looked in the dpreview and
    > compare the images, they all look alike (just little more smear than the
    > Nikons at very close-ups). I am still watching for the prices around, would
    > like to buy it when it's near $300.
    >
    > Thank you for reply.
    >
    > Chuck

    First of all, the S50 does well at ISO 50 and 100 but noisy at
    anything higher. You have it backwards, asshole. Second, this was one
    of the most discussed subjects on this newsgroup. Couldn't you do a
    little research on your own? Check the archives? You stupid ****.
    Besides, all the major reviewers agree that the S45 is the better
    camera. And I hate cheapskates like you. The S45 will be off the
    shelves soon so buy it while you can, dumb ****!

    Ben T. Cohen, Oct 1, 2003

  3. CNT

    CNT Guest

    I did search, only found few information. So, I post this question to make
    sure. I think I was wise to do that. At least I stand correct now. To go
    little further to educate you, we learn from our mistakes, don't we? ;-)

    Chuck

    I hope I corrected the English.

    CNT, Oct 1, 2003
  4. CNT

    ABC Guest

    I researched long to decide to buy the S45 instead of S50. The noise
    level is better,even at ISO 100-- but then only at low light scene. If
    you shoot mostly bright pictures, the extra pixel may be better for
    enlargement.

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 03:34:37 GMT, "CNT" <> wrotd:

    >I did search, only found few information. So, I post this question to make
    >sure. I think I was wise to do that. At least I stand correct now. To go
    >little further to educate you, we learn from our mistakes, don't we? ;-)
    >
    >Chuck

    ABC
    Do not reply by email. Reply to Newsgroup

    ABC, Oct 1, 2003
  5. CNT

    CNT Guest

    Thanks for reply. I shoot mostly inside the house (kids doing stuff or just
    growing memories). I do would like to be able to do enlargements, but I
    think I should be OK with 8x10's for my hall. I shoot outdoor too
    (landscapes). It is now my understanding that the low light is the important
    issue, thus the S45 be better (I use Auto almost all the time, yet).

    What are the ISO range "Auto" settings use (for S45)?

    Chuck

    CNT, Oct 1, 2003
  6. CNT

    ABC Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:18:41 GMT, "CNT" <> wrote:

    >What are the ISO range "Auto" settings use (for S45)?

    50 to 150.

    I think you should download a copy of the manual. Read it and then
    decide

    http://www.canon-asia.com/supports/CJ.html

    ABC
    Please do not reply by email.Reply to NG

    ABC, Oct 2, 2003
  7. CNT

    VT Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:18:41 GMT, "CNT" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for reply. I shoot mostly inside the house (kids doing stuff or just
    >growing memories). I do would like to be able to do enlargements, but I
    >think I should be OK with 8x10's for my hall. I shoot outdoor too
    >(landscapes). It is now my understanding that the low light is the important
    >issue, thus the S45 be better (I use Auto almost all the time, yet).

    Chuck,

    Indoors - if you're just going to use Auto - then the camera is going
    to use Flash -
    so you're very UNlikely to be doing any real low-light/available-light
    photos.

    If you want to do landscapes - the higher the pixel count the better.

    So it sounds as though you may be better off getting the Canon S50 -
    which I think brings you back to full circle :) ;)

    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHES for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

    VT, Oct 2, 2003
  8. CNT

    Gav Guest

    I thought long and hard about this myself, seemed that people said S45 was
    better than S50. In the end I got mine direct from canon which meant the S50
    was the only option (S45 is discontinued). I must say that I'm very happy
    with the camera, no issue with image quality what so ever. Taken night shots
    and they look great, only thing I'm not too keen on is the AiAF but as far
    as I'm aware thats on both cameras anyway and I turn it off. Possibly the
    S45 is the better of the 2 but I think you'll find you'll be happy with S50.

    Gav

    Gav, Oct 8, 2003
  9. "Ben T. Cohen" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "CNT" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > First of all, the S50 does well at ISO 50 and 100 but noisy at
    > anything higher. You have it backwards, asshole. Second, this was one
    > of the most discussed subjects on this newsgroup. Couldn't you do a
    > little research on your own? Check the archives? You stupid ****.
    > Besides, all the major reviewers agree that the S45 is the better
    > camera.

    Compared to it's own Mpix-class, yes!

    I havn't seen any direct comparison S45 vs S50!

    I compared the test chart photos from DPReview (if I remember right) and the
    S50 holds around 20% higher resolution.... Isn't 50$ / ?50 fair just to get
    that resolution!?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Oct 18, 2003
  10. "ABC" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > I researched long to decide to buy the S45 instead of S50. The noise
    > level is better,even at ISO 100-- but then only at low light scene. If
    > you shoot mostly bright pictures, the extra pixel may be better for
    > enlargement.

    I intend to use s45 or s50 for digiscoping (digicam + spottingscope) with
    lite (simple) adapters. At that high magnifications ligt will almost allways
    be a problem.

    Are the differences big between the two at 200 and 400iso?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Oct 18, 2003