    Hi Group.

    I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a better picture
    if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

    Cheryl, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Cheryl

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Cheryl" <> wrote in message
    news:1.com...
    > Hi Group.
    >
    > I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

    better picture
    > if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

    unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

    It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the s-video
    input on the back of your TV.

    If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
    salesman.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jan 1, 2004

  3. "Cheryl" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group.
    >
    > I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

    better picture
    > if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

    unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

    What the salesman should have mentioned is that to use teh S-Video cable,
    you need to have an S-Video input on your TV. So, if you have an S-Video
    input on the back of your TV, thats where it goes. The other end of the
    cable goes to the output on the DVD/VCR combo (not sure if these have an
    input, thats why I put in that part).

    If your TV has a component input, which is 3 cables with 3 colors, Red,
    Green, and Blue, (I believe they may be labeled "Y" "Cr" and "Cb"), this
    will give you better picture, but only if the DVD/VCR has that output as
    well.

    Also, if you have a 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound system, your receiver would
    have video inputs as well, so you could attach the S-Video output from the
    DVD to the DVD S-Video input on the receiver, so long as you have a cable
    that goes from the TV out on your receiver, to the TV. This is also a good
    way to attach multiple devices, so you can have, for example, a DVD/VCR on
    'DVD', a PS2 on 'VCR1' and a camcorder on a front input, mine is called
    'VCR2,' this way you can have >1 device attached to 1 input on the TV,
    useful if you only have the 1 input for the TV.

    Anonymous Joe, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Cheryl

    Mark B. Guest

    "Cheryl" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group.
    >
    > I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

    better picture
    > if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

    unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

    S-Video out from the DVD player to the S-Video in on your TV.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 1, 2004
  5. Cheryl

    Justin Guest

    Rich Clark wrote on [Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:54:17 -0500]:
    > "Cheryl" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group.
    >>
    >> I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get a

    > better picture
    >> if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now, that I have everything

    > unpacked, where does the S-Video go?
    >
    > It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the s-video
    > input on the back of your TV.
    >
    > If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
    > salesman.

    How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct inputs?

    Justin, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Cheryl

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > > It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the

    s-video
    > > input on the back of your TV.
    > >
    > > If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
    > > salesman.

    > How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct

    inputs?

    He should have asked before selling the cable.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Cheryl

    Justin Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote on [Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:04:10 GMT]:
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> > It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the

    > s-video
    >> > input on the back of your TV.
    >> >
    >> > If your TV has no such input, the cble goes around the throat of the
    >> > salesman.

    >> How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct

    > inputs?
    >
    > He should have asked before selling the cable.

    How do you know he didn't?

    Justin, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Cheryl

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > >> How did the salesman know whether or not the TV had the correct

    > > inputs?
    > >
    > > He should have asked before selling the cable.

    > How do you know he didn't?

    If he did ask, then it's the original poster's own damn fault for saying
    "yes" when he didn't actually know for sure.

    Joshua Zyber, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Cheryl

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Group.
    >
    > I just bought a new DVD/VCR combo and the salesman told me I would get
    > a better picture if I purchased an S-Video Cable and used it. Now,
    > that I have everything unpacked, where does the S-Video go?

    <<It goes from the s-video output on the back of your player to the
    > s-video input on the back of your TV.>>

    <<If your TV has no such input, the cable goes around the throat of the
    salesman.>>

    There is also a chance that the player has no S-video output. I don't
    know if this is an industry trend, but the Panasonic DVDS25S has no
    S-video output. This is the first DVD player that I have ever seen
    without an S-video output.

    Component Video Out (Y, PB, PR) Yes
    Video Out Yes
    S-Video Out No

    http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...pId=11059&modelNo=DVD-S25S&surfModel=DVD-S25S

    Panasonic DVD-S25 DVD Player with Progressive Scan, MP3 and Some
    Surprises

    Cons
    Coaxial out instead of optical, no S-Video out, no DVD-RAM playback

    Another surprise was the lack of an S-Video out.

    http://www.epinions.com/content_122058215044

    Scot Gardner, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Cheryl

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message

    <<There is also a chance that the player has no S-video output. I don't
    know if this is an industry trend, but the Panasonic DVDS25S has no
    S-video output. This is the first DVD player that I have ever seen
    without an S-video output.>>

    Huh. I guess they figure that the point of a cheap progressive scan player
    is that it has component outs. With a list price of $80 the corner-cutting
    isn't that big a surprise.

    <<Cons
    Coaxial out instead of optical, no S-Video out, no DVD-RAM playback>>

    I don't consider that a drawback if you can have only one DA output.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jan 2, 2004
  11. Cheryl

    Scot Gardner Guest

    << <<There is also a chance that the player has no S-video output. I
    don't know if this is an industry trend, but the Panasonic DVDS25S has
    no S-video output. This is the first DVD player that I have ever seen
    without an S-video output.>> >>

    <<Huh. I guess they figure that the point of a cheap progressive scan
    player is that it has component outs. With a list price of $80 the
    corner-cutting isn't that big a surprise.>>

    << <<Cons Coaxial out instead of optical, no S-Video out, no DVD-RAM
    playback>> >>

    <<I don't consider that a drawback if you can have only one DA output.
    RichC>>

    Yeah, me neither. I didn't notice the part about the single DA output
    being coaxial. All of the other Panasonic DVD players that I have
    seen -- with only one DA output -- have only an optical version. This
    includes my Panasonic DVDS55S.

    I'm beginning to think that all of Panasonic's electronic processing
    functions (not counting onboard Dolby 5.1 and DTS decoding) is contained
    on a single chip and that Panasonic disables certain functions on the
    lower priced units. The case, drawer, remote and disk drives all appear
    be common components.

    For example, the bottom feeder Panasonic DVDS25S still manages to share
    some of the top-end features found in the upscale DVDS55S:

    4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift with Variable Zoom.

    Headphone Surround (V.S.S.)

    Position Memory, up to 5 discs

    Scot Gardner, Jan 3, 2004