    picture quality as opposed to when I used the standard cable. There MAY be
    a tiny improvement with some of my newer movies (2000 and up), but certainly
    not with the older ones. Is this to be expected?

    History Fan, Aug 21, 2005

  2. History Fan

    nomis Guest

    On 2005-08-21 13:21:25 -0400, "History Fan" <> said:

    > I've had 3 different DVD players since 2000 (all Samsung, a brand I
    > will not buy from again), and have always used the standard video/audio
    > cable for my TV/DVD connection. I have a Sony Trinitron 27 inch
    > conventional TV.
    >
    > Today, I bought a new DVD player (Sony NS50P), and also purchased
    > an S video cable, which supposedly gives you a better picture quality.
    >
    > The S video cable is set up, but I really can't see any difference
    > in picture quality as opposed to when I used the standard cable. There
    > MAY be a tiny improvement with some of my newer movies (2000 and up),
    > but certainly not with the older ones. Is this to be expected?

    If you were using composite cables before (red/white/yellow), you
    should stick with them. The order of quality goes:

    coaxial < s video < composite < component
    --
    nomis

    http://www.oozingbrain.com

    nomis, Aug 21, 2005

  3. nomis <> wrote:

    >If you were using composite cables before (red/white/yellow), you
    >should stick with them. The order of quality goes:
    >
    >coaxial < s video < composite < component

    You're the first person I ever heard suggest that composite video (the
    yellow connector in your red/white/yellow description) is superior to
    S-video.

    However, it is true that you may see a very minimal difference in picture
    quality between S-video and composite. S-video has the advantage of
    keeping chrominance and luminance information separate, but if your TV has
    a good comb filter (or if you just don't notice things like dot crawl) it
    really won't make much difference.

    Kimba W. Lion, Aug 21, 2005
  4. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    All this DVD terminology is a bit confusing. With my previous DVD
    players, I used the supplied cord, which has 3 ends, one red, one yellow and
    one white. They plugged into the R-Audio-L ports, and the Video port, which
    is yellow. The Circuit City salesman told me an S video cable (which I had
    to purchase separately) would result in a sharper image.

    History Fan, Aug 21, 2005
  5. History Fan

    nomis Guest

    On 2005-08-21 14:54:13 -0400, Kimba W. Lion <> said:

    > nomis <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you were using composite cables before (red/white/yellow), you
    >> should stick with them. The order of quality goes:
    >>
    >> coaxial < s video < composite < component

    > You're the first person I ever heard suggest that composite video (the
    > yellow connector in your red/white/yellow description) is superior to
    > S-video.
    > However, it is true that you may see a very minimal difference in picture
    > quality between S-video and composite. S-video has the advantage of
    > keeping chrominance and luminance information separate, but if your TV has
    > a good comb filter (or if you just don't notice things like dot crawl) it
    > really won't make much difference.

    Huh! I've just looked it up and it seems I'm wrong: S-Video is better.
    Who knew? I've been using Component for so long it looks like I got
    confused.

    Regardless, as you say, the difference is minimal. I certainly never
    saw one back in the day.
    --
    nomis

    http://www.oozingbrain.com

    nomis, Aug 21, 2005
  6. History Fan

    Alpha Guest

    "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    > All this DVD terminology is a bit confusing. With my previous DVD
    > players, I used the supplied cord, which has 3 ends, one red, one yellow
    > and one white. They plugged into the R-Audio-L ports, and the Video port,
    > which is yellow. The Circuit City salesman told me an S video cable
    > (which I had to purchase separately) would result in a sharper image.

    Of course you use the s-video and connect left and right audio (red and
    white) as well.

    I notice the difference between s-video and composite readily. As you
    indicated, particularly with DVDs that are well-mastered. However, it may
    be because I have connected via s-video for over a decade (tape and laser
    disc) that *any* change from this is very much noticeable to me. As they
    say, in all things like this, YMMV.

    Alpha, Aug 21, 2005
  7. History Fan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    > All this DVD terminology is a bit confusing. With my previous DVD
    > players, I used the supplied cord, which has 3 ends, one red, one
    > yellow and one white. They plugged into the R-Audio-L ports, and the
    > Video port, which is yellow. The Circuit City salesman told me an S
    > video cable (which I had to purchase separately) would result in a
    > sharper image.

    The difference between Composite video (the old yellow video cable) and
    S-video is in color clarity, not sharpness. The salesman didn't know
    what he was talking about.

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 21, 2005
  8. History Fan

    Large Farva Guest

    S-video should look better. However every Sony player I've encountered has
    has a worse picture quality than other brands so that might be why you don't
    see a difference. A better player would probably have a better
    picture..might should have bought another Samsung!

    Large Farva, Aug 21, 2005
  9. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    >>A better player would probably have a better
    > picture..might should have bought another Samsung!>>

    No, thanks. I've gone thru 3 Samsung DVD players in 5 years. The
    first two had trouble playing DVD's, splotchy playback, freeze ups, playback
    crashes, and the third DVD player won't open up to insert a disc.

    History Fan, Aug 22, 2005
  10. History Fan

    Large Farva Guest

    >>>A better player would probably have a better

    >> picture..might should have bought another Samsung!>>

    > No, thanks. I've gone thru 3 Samsung DVD players in 5 years. The
    > first two had trouble playing DVD's, splotchy playback, freeze ups,
    > playback crashes, and the third DVD player won't open up to insert a disc.

    Hate to 'break' it to you, but you can expect worse from Sony.

    Large Farva, Aug 22, 2005
  11. History Fan

    Alpha Guest

    "Large Farva" <> wrote in message

    > "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >>> picture..might should have bought another Samsung!>>

    >> No, thanks. I've gone thru 3 Samsung DVD players in 5 years. The
    >> first two had trouble playing DVD's, splotchy playback, freeze ups,
    >> playback crashes, and the third DVD player won't open up to insert a
    >> disc.

    > Hate to 'break' it to you, but you can expect worse from Sony.

    Buy Pioneer.

    Alpha, Aug 22, 2005
  12. History Fan

    Mark Jones Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    > "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >>> picture..might should have bought another Samsung!>>

    >> No, thanks. I've gone thru 3 Samsung DVD players in 5 years.
    >> The first two had trouble playing DVD's, splotchy playback, freeze
    >> ups, playback crashes, and the third DVD player won't open up to
    >> insert a disc.

    > Hate to 'break' it to you, but you can expect worse from Sony.

    I have 2 Sony's and 1 Mitsubishi and they all have great image
    quality. Maybe you have some other problem going on.

    Mark Jones, Aug 22, 2005
  13. History Fan

    Marci Guest

    Mark Jones wrote:
    > Large Farva wrote:
    >
    >>"History Fan" <> wrote in message

    >>> No, thanks. I've gone thru 3 Samsung DVD players in 5 years.
    >>>The first two had trouble playing DVD's, splotchy playback, freeze
    >>>ups, playback crashes, and the third DVD player won't open up to
    >>>insert a disc.

    >>Hate to 'break' it to you, but you can expect worse from Sony.

    > I have 2 Sony's and 1 Mitsubishi and they all have great image
    > quality. Maybe you have some other problem going on.

    Same here. I've had a Sony for about 6 years and it's still as good as
    the day I bought it.

    Marci, Aug 22, 2005
  14. Sony has gone down hill too. Circuit City isn't far behind. Whatever
    you buy today is going to be crap.

    I have had a bad experience with Circuit City. I have been making
    posts in a HDTV massage board so I could get help with my Sony KP53HS10
    repair. The first tech CC sent out was horrible. He ended up doing
    more damage to my set than the original failure which was a D-board.
    CC still has not fully fixed my set. They never proformed their
    duties under the Extended Service Agreement I paid $399.99 for. If
    you ever do buy a product from CC, please do not buy the Extended
    Service Agreement. CC will not live up to their promises (contractual
    obligations)! I wish I was warmed before I made my purchase. I am now
    out $3,000 ($2599.99 + $399.99)!!!
    http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/460/3228.html?1123320124

    I've learned my lesson the hard way! We, who have been wronged by
    Circuit City, must get the truth out!!!

    Circuit City scams!, Aug 22, 2005
  15. CC salesmen are stupid liars!! You can't trust anything they say!

    Circuit City scams!, Aug 22, 2005
  16. On 21 Aug 2005 23:45:50 -0700, "Circuit City scams!"
    <> wrote:

    >Sony has gone down hill too. Circuit City isn't far behind. Whatever
    >you buy today is going to be crap.
    >
    >I have had a bad experience with Circuit City. I have been making
    >posts in a HDTV massage board so I could get help with my Sony KP53HS10
    >repair. The first tech CC sent out was horrible. He ended up doing
    >more damage to my set than the original failure which was a D-board.
    >CC still has not fully fixed my set. They never proformed their
    >duties under the Extended Service Agreement I paid $399.99 for. If
    >you ever do buy a product from CC, please do not buy the Extended
    >Service Agreement. CC will not live up to their promises (contractual
    >obligations)! I wish I was warmed before I made my purchase. I am now
    >out $3,000 ($2599.99 + $399.99)!!!
    >http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/messages/460/3228.html?1123320124
    >

    >I've learned my lesson the hard way! We, who have been wronged by
    >Circuit City, must get the truth out!!!

    Chain stores do not service their equipment with in-house techs but
    rather contract out to independant repair facilities, often very large
    and well-organized operations with knowledgeable, and quick, staff.
    However that doesn't mean that the agent who happens to get your call,
    is necessarily very good. Circuit City and others have a list of
    their contractees at hand ... While this is not given out as common
    knowledge, if you ask nicely at the Returns and Repairs desk they can
    bring up a history of your service. If you say that you have not been
    happy the guy/lady can in fact suggest another facility or repair
    agent to come and see your set again, the new tech will have the
    history of previous repairs as provided by Circuit City et. al.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 22, 2005
  17. "Circuit City scams!" <> wrote:

    >He ended up doing
    >more damage to my set than the original failure which was a D-board.

    I had the same experience when I had CC work on a tape deck some years
    back.

    "Maintenance Agreements" are a fool's game. You're paying for a repair
    before you need one and tying yourself to one company--a company that
    already has your money and so has no reason to care. They see the sale fo
    the MA as the moneymaker and any repair that actually needs to be done as
    "overhead"--i.e., a waste of money for them, so they try to slough it off
    as much as possible.

    Kimba W. Lion, Aug 22, 2005
  18. $3000 for a tv, and already broken, that`s why I buy only used, good
    condition but cheap.

    Ricky from trailerparkboys, Aug 22, 2005
  19. History Fan

    Andy Guest

    Re: S video cable All Sales Hipe!!

    What good is a gold cable and plug,when they all plug into a normal tinned
    and soldered socket on the unit !! not to mention all the components which
    are soldered using normal lead/tin solder!!!

    Andy, Aug 22, 2005
  20. History Fan

    Large Farva Guest

    "Mark Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Large Farva wrote:
    >> "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No, thanks. I've gone thru 3 Samsung DVD players in 5 years.
    >>> The first two had trouble playing DVD's, splotchy playback, freeze
    >>> ups, playback crashes, and the third DVD player won't open up to
    >>> insert a disc.

    >> Hate to 'break' it to you, but you can expect worse from Sony.

    > I have 2 Sony's and 1 Mitsubishi and they all have great image
    > quality. Maybe you have some other problem going on.

    Not according to my repair bench full of Sony units.

    Large Farva, Aug 22, 2005