    e.g: AIR-LAP1231G-A-K9

    Regards,
    Andy.

    Andy, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Andy

    Kyle Evans Guest

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_item09186a0080094d01.shtml

    Q. What are the AP models that can run Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)?

    A. These AP platforms can run LWAPP:

    * Cisco Aironet 1500 Series
    * Cisco Aironet 1240 AG Series
    * Cisco Aironet 1230 AG Series
    * Cisco Aironet 1200 Series
    * Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Series
    * Cisco Aironet 1000 Series

    Note: The Cisco Aironet APs listed can be ordered with Cisco IOS
    Software to operate as an autonomous AP or with LWAPP. The part number
    decides if the AP is an IOS-based AP or an LWAPP-based AP. For example,
    AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 is an IOS-based AP, whereas AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 is an
    LWAPP-based AP. The 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series APs are an
    exception to this criteria. All the 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series
    AP support only LWAPP.

    Kyle

    Kyle Evans, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    On Apr 11, 4:30 pm, Kyle Evans <> wrote:

    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_...
    >
    > Q. What are the AP models that can run Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)?
    >
    > A. These AP platforms can run LWAPP:
    >
    > * Cisco Aironet 1500 Series
    > * Cisco Aironet 1240 AG Series
    > * Cisco Aironet 1230 AG Series
    > * Cisco Aironet 1200 Series
    > * Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Series
    > * Cisco Aironet 1000 Series
    >
    > Note: The Cisco Aironet APs listed can be ordered with Cisco IOS
    > Software to operate as an autonomous AP or with LWAPP. The part number
    > decides if the AP is an IOS-based AP or an LWAPP-based AP. For example,
    > AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 is an IOS-based AP, whereas AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 is an
    > LWAPP-based AP. The 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series APs are an
    > exception to this criteria. All the 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series
    > AP support only LWAPP.
    >
    > Kyle
    >

    > Andy wrote:
    > > Hi guys,

    > > Can I upgrade the aironet ap 1231G (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) into a LWAP to
    > > work with WLC 2106 (AIR-WLC2106-K9)? If not, which LWAP would be good
    > > for this WLC?
    > > e.g: AIR-LAP1231G-A-K9

    > > Regards,
    > > Andy.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Kyle,

    Ok, what confuses me is the following:

    Does my AP (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) fall under the 1200 series? and do not
    the 1230AG, and 1240AG fall under the 1200 series as well.
    So is it upgradable or not?

    Regards,
    Andy.

    Andy, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Andy

    Kyle Evans Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > On Apr 11, 4:30 pm, Kyle Evans <> wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_...
    >>
    >> Q. What are the AP models that can run Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)?
    >>
    >> A. These AP platforms can run LWAPP:
    >>
    >> * Cisco Aironet 1500 Series
    >> * Cisco Aironet 1240 AG Series
    >> * Cisco Aironet 1230 AG Series
    >> * Cisco Aironet 1200 Series
    >> * Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Series
    >> * Cisco Aironet 1000 Series
    >>
    >> Note: The Cisco Aironet APs listed can be ordered with Cisco IOS
    >> Software to operate as an autonomous AP or with LWAPP. The part number
    >> decides if the AP is an IOS-based AP or an LWAPP-based AP. For example,
    >> AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 is an IOS-based AP, whereas AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 is an
    >> LWAPP-based AP. The 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series APs are an
    >> exception to this criteria. All the 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series
    >> AP support only LWAPP.
    >>
    >> Kyle
    >>

    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> Hi guys,
    >>> Can I upgrade the aironet ap 1231G (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) into a LWAP to
    >>> work with WLC 2106 (AIR-WLC2106-K9)? If not, which LWAP would be good
    >>> for this WLC?
    >>> e.g: AIR-LAP1231G-A-K9
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Andy.- Hide quoted text -

    > Hi Kyle,
    >
    > Ok, what confuses me is the following:
    >
    > Does my AP (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) fall under the 1200 series? and do not
    > the 1230AG, and 1240AG fall under the 1200 series as well.
    > So is it upgradable or not?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andy.

    I agree that it is confusing. I believe that your AP is upgradeable,
    but you'll probably have to talk to a cisco rep to be absolutely sure.

    Kyle

    Kyle Evans, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    On Apr 11, 6:01 pm, Kyle Evans <> wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    > > On Apr 11, 4:30 pm, Kyle Evans <> wrote:

    > >>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_...

    > >> Q. What are the AP models that can run Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)?

    > >> A. These AP platforms can run LWAPP:

    > >> * Cisco Aironet 1500 Series
    > >> * Cisco Aironet 1240 AG Series
    > >> * Cisco Aironet 1230 AG Series
    > >> * Cisco Aironet 1200 Series
    > >> * Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Series
    > >> * Cisco Aironet 1000 Series

    > >> Note: The Cisco Aironet APs listed can be ordered with Cisco IOS
    > >> Software to operate as an autonomous AP or with LWAPP. The part number
    > >> decides if the AP is an IOS-based AP or an LWAPP-based AP. For example,
    > >> AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 is an IOS-based AP, whereas AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 is an
    > >> LWAPP-based AP. The 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series APs are an
    > >> exception to this criteria. All the 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series
    > >> AP support only LWAPP.

    > >> Kyle

    > > Hi Kyle,

    > > Ok, what confuses me is the following:

    > > Does my AP (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) fall under the 1200 series? and do not
    > > the 1230AG, and 1240AG fall under the 1200 series as well.
    > > So is it upgradable or not?

    > > Regards,
    > > Andy.

    > I agree that it is confusing. I believe that your AP is upgradeable,
    > but you'll probably have to talk to a cisco rep to be absolutely sure.
    >
    > Kyle- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Kyle,

    This was the response from a Cisco (Ask the Expert)

    Fred

    1200 series APs that contain the 802.11g radio (not the older .11b
    radio) can be upgraded simply by loading new firmware to work in a
    unified (LWAPP) mode. If the 1200 series AP has a 5 GHz radio (it must
    also be one of the newer radios (white serpentine stripe or support
    external antenna connectors). The older black stripe (serpentine) 5
    GHz radio and/or the older 802.11b only radio is not supported within
    the unified (LWAPP) code.

    Given your unit has an 802.11g radio I see no issues or problem with
    upgrading it to unified.

    Regards,
    Andy.

    Andy, Apr 12, 2007