    The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
    From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool, because I
    was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD running hot.
    Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is and how to enable
    it?
    TIA

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004

  2. Smirnoff wrote:

    > Win ME
    > The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
    > From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool, because I
    > was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD running hot.
    > Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is and how to enable
    > it?
    > TIA

    Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
    disk gives, amongst others:

    http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html

    Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
    However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
    will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
    enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
    suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
    you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
    monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.

    SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
    and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 16, 2004

  3. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Palindrâ~»me wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Win ME
    >> The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
    >> From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool,
    >> because I was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD
    >> running hot. Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is
    >> and how to enable it?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
    > disk gives, amongst others:
    >
    > http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
    >
    > Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
    > However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
    > will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
    > enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
    > suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
    > you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
    > monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
    >
    > SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
    > and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

    Thanks for your reply.
    I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
    disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive icons,
    all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small squares with
    different shapes in them).
    Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  4. Smirnoff

    philo Guest

    "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message
    > Win ME
    > The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
    > From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool, because I
    > was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD running hot.
    > Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is and how to enable
    > it?
    > TIA

    when your machine is booting up
    you should see a message such as : press <del> to enter setup

    (if you don;t see such a message, you may want to consult your manual)

    if you have a S.M.A.R.T capable drive (which you probably do)
    there should be an option in the bios to enable it.

    it really is a good idea...
    and if you ever see a S.M.A.R.T error upon bootup

    be sure to get a new harddrive at once and do a data transfer

    as the drive could totally fail at any time

    philo, May 16, 2004
  5. Smirnoff wrote:

    > Palindrâ~»me wrote:
    >
    >>Smirnoff wrote:
    >>

    >>>Win ME
    >>>The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
    >>>From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool,
    >>>because I was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD
    >>>running hot. Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is
    >>>and how to enable it?
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
    >>disk gives, amongst others:
    >>
    >>http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
    >>
    >>Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
    >>However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
    >>will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
    >>enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
    >>suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
    >>you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
    >>monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
    >>
    >>SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
    >>and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
    > disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive icons,
    > all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small squares with
    > different shapes in them).
    > Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.

    Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
    just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
    of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
    and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
    continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
    setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
    SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.

    CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
    tried it:

    http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10193821.html?tag=lst-0-2

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 16, 2004
  6. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Palindr?me wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Palindrâ~»me wrote:

    >>> Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
    >>> disk gives, amongst others:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
    >>>
    >>> Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
    >>> However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
    >>> will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
    >>> enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
    >>> suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
    >>> you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
    >>> monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
    >>>
    >>> SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
    >>> and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

    >> Thanks for your reply.
    >> I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
    >> disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive
    >> icons, all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small
    >> squares with different shapes in them).
    >> Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.
    >>

    > Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
    > just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
    > of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
    > and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
    > continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
    > setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
    > SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
    >
    > CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
    > tried it:
    >
    > http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10193821.html?tag=lst-0-2

    Thanks, just what I need.

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  7. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message
    >> Win ME
    >> The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
    >> From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool,
    >> because I was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD
    >> running hot. Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is
    >> and how to enable it?
    >> TIA

    > when your machine is booting up
    > you should see a message such as : press <del> to enter setup
    >
    > (if you don;t see such a message, you may want to consult your manual)
    >
    > if you have a S.M.A.R.T capable drive (which you probably do)
    > there should be an option in the bios to enable it.
    >
    > it really is a good idea...
    > and if you ever see a S.M.A.R.T error upon bootup
    >
    > be sure to get a new harddrive at once and do a data transfer
    >
    > as the drive could totally fail at any time

    Thanks but there is no option to enter set up in boot up screen. Even
    when I select step-by-step mode and enable SmartDrive cache, it still
    shows disabled on next start up.
    However, have taken Palindrome's advice and downloaded CNet program.
    Please see link in his post.

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  8. Smirnoff wrote:

    > Palindr?me wrote:
    >
    >>Smirnoff wrote:

    >>>Thanks for your reply.
    >>>I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
    >>>disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive
    >>>icons, all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small
    >>>squares with different shapes in them).
    >>>Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.
    >>>

    >>Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
    >>just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
    >>of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
    >>and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
    >>continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
    >>setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
    >>SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
    >>
    >>CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
    >>tried it:
    >>
    >>http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10193821.html?tag=lst-0-2

    > Thanks, just what I need.

    Probably not. In that many of the free ones don't have the
    capability of changing the SMART status and many don't
    continuously monitor. The advice you got to change the BIOS
    SMART setting was spot on, if you have such a setting.
    Otherwise you need something that effectively extends the BIOS.

    When you get this going don't be too panicked by SMART
    alarms during running - without looking at them first. A
    SMART alarm on boot is very serious, as you were told. A
    SMART alarm when the SMART Windows monitoring utility loads
    is often normal. It will alarm because the drive temperature
    has changed significantly since it was last measured (which
    was probably just before the machine was last shut down,
    with the drive good and warm). The one SMART parameter worth
    watching is the number of spare sectors left. When these run
    out, the drive will start getting visible bad blocks. If
    this starts to fall on a daily/weekly basis - time for a new
    drive.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 16, 2004
  9. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Palindr?me wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Palindrâ~»me wrote:

    >>> Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
    >>> disk gives, amongst others:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
    >>>
    >>> Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
    >>> However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
    >>> will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
    >>> enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
    >>> suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
    >>> you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
    >>> monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
    >>>
    >>> SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
    >>> and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

    >> Thanks for your reply.
    >> I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
    >> disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive
    >> icons, all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small
    >> squares with different shapes in them).
    >> Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.
    >>

    > Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
    > just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
    > of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
    > and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
    > continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
    > setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
    > SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
    >
    > CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
    > tried it:
    >
    > http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10193821.html?tag=lst-0-2

    Thanks again for the link.
    Fortunately, I got a clean bill of health.
    Strangely though, the display of results shows Drive 0 enabled. Zero? Oh
    well.
    Also, when I boot up SMART is still shown as disabled.
    Although this program is very useful, I would still like to enable SMART
    on my system.
    Any further ideas?

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  10. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Palindr?me wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Palindr?me wrote:

    >>> Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
    >>> just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
    >>> of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
    >>> and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
    >>> continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
    >>> setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
    >>> SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
    >>>
    >>> CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
    >>> tried it:
    >>>
    >>> http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10193821.html?tag=lst-0-2

    >> Thanks, just what I need.
    >>

    > Probably not. In that many of the free ones don't have the
    > capability of changing the SMART status and many don't
    > continuously monitor. The advice you got to change the BIOS
    > SMART setting was spot on, if you have such a setting.
    > Otherwise you need something that effectively extends the BIOS.
    >
    > When you get this going don't be too panicked by SMART
    > alarms during running - without looking at them first. A
    > SMART alarm on boot is very serious, as you were told. A
    > SMART alarm when the SMART Windows monitoring utility loads
    > is often normal. It will alarm because the drive temperature
    > has changed significantly since it was last measured (which
    > was probably just before the machine was last shut down,
    > with the drive good and warm). The one SMART parameter worth
    > watching is the number of spare sectors left. When these run
    > out, the drive will start getting visible bad blocks. If
    > this starts to fall on a daily/weekly basis - time for a new
    > drive.

    Seems we both posted at the same time.
    There is no option to enter set up when booting.
    Could you explain more about extending the BIOS please?
    Thanks

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  11. Smirnoff

    philo Guest

    > Thanks but there is no option to enter set up in boot up screen. Even
    > when I select step-by-step mode and enable SmartDrive cache, it still
    > shows disabled on next start up.
    > However, have taken Palindrome's advice and downloaded CNet program.
    > Please see link in his post.

    no...
    that is *not* how to enter the bios

    you need to enter the bios *prior* to the operating system even loading!

    watch your bootup screen...
    if you have an option to enter the bios (run setup)
    it will be one of the very first messages you see...

    once the OS begins to load you are already *way* past that point!

    philo, May 16, 2004
  12. Smirnoff wrote:

    > Palindr?me wrote:
    >
    >>Smirnoff wrote:

    >>>Thanks, just what I need.
    >>>

    >>Probably not. In that many of the free ones don't have the
    >>capability of changing the SMART status and many don't
    >>continuously monitor. The advice you got to change the BIOS
    >>SMART setting was spot on, if you have such a setting.
    >>Otherwise you need something that effectively extends the BIOS.
    >>
    >>When you get this going don't be too panicked by SMART
    >>alarms during running - without looking at them first. A
    >>SMART alarm on boot is very serious, as you were told. A
    >>SMART alarm when the SMART Windows monitoring utility loads
    >>is often normal. It will alarm because the drive temperature
    >>has changed significantly since it was last measured (which
    >>was probably just before the machine was last shut down,
    >>with the drive good and warm). The one SMART parameter worth
    >>watching is the number of spare sectors left. When these run
    >>out, the drive will start getting visible bad blocks. If
    >>this starts to fall on a daily/weekly basis - time for a new
    >>drive.

    > Seems we both posted at the same time.
    > There is no option to enter set up when booting.
    > Could you explain more about extending the BIOS please?
    > Thanks

    Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been out getting a tan..

    Philo was spot on again. You get into the BIOS setting as
    the machine boots, when the screen is typically black with
    text in white. Typically you get in by htting <del> almost
    immediately after the memory check is over.

    Hopefully, the settings should contain one for SMART.

    If not, you could try updating the BIOS and see if a later
    one has SMART support. This can go horribly worng and leave
    you with a useless machine, so I would think twice and then
    think again before doing this.

    Otherwise, keep hunting for SMART utilities that you can
    load from Windows. You can try Active SMART for free. Try
    the web site of your disk manufacturer. Try searching places
    like freeware.com for one. Someone may see this thread and
    post details of one. This will still show SMART status as
    disabled as you boot but will start monitoring as soon as
    the utility loads - which should be perfectly adequate.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 16, 2004
  13. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    philo wrote:
    >> Thanks but there is no option to enter set up in boot up screen. Even
    >> when I select step-by-step mode and enable SmartDrive cache, it still
    >> shows disabled on next start up.
    >> However, have taken Palindrome's advice and downloaded CNet program.
    >> Please see link in his post.
    >>

    > no...
    > that is *not* how to enter the bios
    >
    > you need to enter the bios *prior* to the operating system even
    >
    > watch your bootup screen...
    > if you have an option to enter the bios (run setup)
    > it will be one of the very first messages you see...
    >
    > once the OS begins to load you are already *way* past that point!

    Please see my first sentence.
    It looks as if I'll have to try to find some type of utility to enable
    SMART.

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  14. Smirnoff

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message

    > philo wrote:
    > >> Thanks but there is no option to enter set up in boot up screen. Even
    > >> when I select step-by-step mode and enable SmartDrive cache, it still
    > >> shows disabled on next start up.
    > >> However, have taken Palindrome's advice and downloaded CNet program.
    > >> Please see link in his post.
    > >>

    > > no...
    > > that is *not* how to enter the bios
    > >
    > > you need to enter the bios *prior* to the operating system even
    > >
    > > watch your bootup screen...
    > > if you have an option to enter the bios (run setup)
    > > it will be one of the very first messages you see...
    > >
    > > once the OS begins to load you are already *way* past that point!

    > Please see my first sentence.
    > It looks as if I'll have to try to find some type of utility to enable
    > SMART.

    There is probably a method of entering the CMOS setup during boot up - some
    manufacturers just don't show you how. What brand/model computer or
    motherboard are you using?

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2004
  15. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    philo wrote:
    >> Thanks but there is no option to enter set up in boot up screen. Even
    >> when I select step-by-step mode and enable SmartDrive cache, it still
    >> shows disabled on next start up.
    >> However, have taken Palindrome's advice and downloaded CNet program.
    >> Please see link in his post.
    >>

    > no...
    > that is *not* how to enter the bios
    >
    > you need to enter the bios *prior* to the operating system even
    >
    > watch your bootup screen...
    > if you have an option to enter the bios (run setup)
    > it will be one of the very first messages you see...
    >
    > once the OS begins to load you are already *way* past that point!

    Although there is no option to enter setup on booting, I tried pressing
    delete anyway and Hey Presto, I was into setup.
    However, I cannot find an obvious way to enable SMART. There is no
    mention of it in the menus.
    The main menus are:
    Standard CMOS Features
    Advanced BIOS Features
    Advanced Chipset Features
    Integrated Peripherals
    Power Management Setup
    PnP/PCI Configurations
    Frequency/Voltage Control
    Load Optimised Defaults
    The rest are Passwords, Save, Exit etc.
    I would have thought that it would be mentioned in Advanced BIOS
    Features but cannot see it.
    I haven't touched Load Optimised Defaults.
    Is it possibly called something else in setup?
    Thanks

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  16. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> no...
    >>> that is *not* how to enter the bios
    >>>
    >>> you need to enter the bios *prior* to the operating system even
    >>>
    >>> watch your bootup screen...
    >>> if you have an option to enter the bios (run setup)
    >>> it will be one of the very first messages you see...
    >>>
    >>> once the OS begins to load you are already *way* past that point!

    >> Please see my first sentence.
    >> It looks as if I'll have to try to find some type of utility to
    >> enable SMART.
    >>

    > There is probably a method of entering the CMOS setup during boot up
    > - some manufacturers just don't show you how. What brand/model
    > computer or motherboard are you using?

    Have now managed to enter setup. Please see my reply to Philo.

    Smirnoff, May 16, 2004
  17. Smirnoff

    philo Guest

    > Although there is no option to enter setup on booting, I tried pressing
    > delete anyway and Hey Presto, I was into setup.
    > However, I cannot find an obvious way to enable SMART. There is no
    > mention of it in the menus.
    > The main menus are:
    > Standard CMOS Features
    > Advanced BIOS Features
    > Advanced Chipset Features
    > Integrated Peripherals
    > Power Management Setup
    > PnP/PCI Configurations
    > Frequency/Voltage Control
    > Load Optimised Defaults
    > The rest are Passwords, Save, Exit etc.
    > I would have thought that it would be mentioned in Advanced BIOS
    > Features but cannot see it.
    > I haven't touched Load Optimised Defaults.
    > Is it possibly called something else in setup?
    > Thanks

    Ok...don't fool with the "load optimised defaults"

    but just look on your first menu usually called "main" or in your case
    probably the one called "standard" where you setup your harddrives
    (generally set to AUTO)

    then tab over the your drive and press enter...
    there should be a second screen to individually setup each drive
    and you should see an option there to enable S.M.A.R.T.

    philo, May 16, 2004
  18. Smirnoff

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:01:42 +0100, in
    <>
    Palindr?me scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Otherwise, keep hunting for SMART utilities that you can
    >load from Windows. You can try Active SMART for free. Try
    >the web site of your disk manufacturer. Try searching places
    >like freeware.com for one. Someone may see this thread and
    >post details of one.

    SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
  19. Smirnoff

    Sunny Guest

    "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks again for the link.
    > Fortunately, I got a clean bill of health.
    > Strangely though, the display of results shows Drive 0 enabled. Zero? Oh
    > well.
    > Also, when I boot up SMART is still shown as disabled.
    > Although this program is very useful, I would still like to enable SMART
    > on my system.
    > Any further ideas?

    Windows 98/ME doesn't install the S.M.A.R.T hard drive system automatically.
    To enable it :
    Make sure that "SMART" is enabled in the BIOS.
    Move the virtual device driver, Smartvsd.vxd
    from
    Windows\System folder to Windows\System\Iosubsys

    Sunny, May 16, 2004
  20. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Sunny wrote:
    > "Smirnoff" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks again for the link.
    >> Fortunately, I got a clean bill of health.
    >> Strangely though, the display of results shows Drive 0 enabled.
    >> Zero? Oh well.
    >> Also, when I boot up SMART is still shown as disabled.
    >> Although this program is very useful, I would still like to enable
    >> SMART on my system.
    >> Any further ideas?

    > Windows 98/ME doesn't install the S.M.A.R.T hard drive system
    > automatically. To enable it :
    > Make sure that "SMART" is enabled in the BIOS.
    > Move the virtual device driver, Smartvsd.vxd
    > from
    > Windows\System folder to Windows\System\Iosubsys

    Have searched for Smartvsd.vxd and it shows as already being in
    C:\Windows\System\Iosubsys.

    Smirnoff, May 17, 2004