S-ata raid

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Dec 2, 2003.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Acetyldehyde wrote:
    > I have sucessfully set up two Sata discs as Raid0 and copied my OS off an
    > IDE disc. If the old IDE is unplugged the system boots fine, but if I plug
    > the old IDE back in the PC boots from it instead. This is even if I disable
    > IDE booting in the Bios.
    > Any suggestions?

    Check the boot order maybe.

    Is the SATA onboard, or add in card?
    T.N.O., Dec 2, 2003

  2. Acetyldehyde wrote:

    > I have sucessfully set up two Sata discs as Raid0 and copied my OS off an
    > IDE disc. If the old IDE is unplugged the system boots fine, but if I plug
    > the old IDE back in the PC boots from it instead. This is even if I disable
    > IDE booting in the Bios.
    > Any suggestions?

    Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

    If its a pci chip set the boot order to put scsi ahead of hdd0 and it should be
    fine.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 2, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    Rider Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Acetyldehyde wrote:
    >
    > > I have sucessfully set up two Sata discs as Raid0 and copied my OS off

    an
    > > IDE disc. If the old IDE is unplugged the system boots fine, but if I

    plug
    > > the old IDE back in the PC boots from it instead. This is even if I

    disable
    > > IDE booting in the Bios.
    > > Any suggestions?

    > Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

    PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol
    Rider, Dec 3, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Rider wrote:
    >>>Any suggestions?

    >>Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

    > PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

    PCI Sata is usually considered to be SCSI by the OS.
    T.N.O., Dec 3, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    > >>Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?

    > > PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

    > PCI Sata is usually considered to be SCSI by the OS.

    Well, I learned something, now I can go home :)

    Acetyldehyde, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Rider wrote:

    >>>IDE booting in the Bios.
    >>>Any suggestions?

    >>Is this proper intel sata or a pci chipset on the motherboard?
    >>

    > PCI S-ATA chipset isn't proper? lol

    Newer intel chipsets are the only ones that do SATA in the chipset, the rest of
    the boards (nforce etc) just use a PCI controller like a silicon image or
    similar. Its still a PCI device even though its on the motherboard, and as such
    needs you to screw around with _floppy disks_ of drivers when installing windows
    onto them.

    They also are stuck behind the 133 meg/sec limit of PCI, and unlike onboard IDE
    controllers cant use the normal IRQ 14/15 that the onboard chipset IDE does, so
    it will conflict with various PCI cards making you do the slot shuffle inorder
    to get everything working smoothly. All headaches for no gain. I think some of
    the newer VIA chipsets have SATA in the southbridge but I havent really looked
    for motherboards for some time. Im happy with what I have for now ;)
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 4, 2003