S-ATA oddity??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hp, May 12, 2008.

  1. Hp

    Hp Guest

    After many trials and tribulations I finally have a newer PC box
    about ready to take over the day to day stuff at home.
    The old PC dates to 2001, and it wasn't the most modern
    setup available then.

    This setup is new enough that it uses a S-ATA hard drive.
    I noticed that the 'USB device is plugged in' icon in
    windoze 2000Pro is sitting in my taskbar.
    So I clicked it and it shows the "C" drive as a USB device??
    Is this normal with S-ATA motherboards and win2000??

    Hum, the poor brain ponders this, and then Opps, does
    this mean I could de-activate the "C" drive if I clicks the
    wrong thing when I begin to use other USB devices on this
    newer PC??
    Should I also be looking for a way to remove any references
    to the "C" drive in the 'unplug' menu accessed via the taskbar
    icon?
    IF there is a way, a preliminary fumbling about didn't show me
    the way to a worry free life.

    tanks for illuminating a touch of strangeness to this poor
    old octogenarian.
    Hp, May 12, 2008

  2. "Hp" <> wrote in message news:...
    > After many trials and tribulations I finally have a newer PC box
    > about ready to take over the day to day stuff at home.
    > The old PC dates to 2001, and it wasn't the most modern
    > setup available then.
    >
    > This setup is new enough that it uses a S-ATA hard drive.
    > I noticed that the 'USB device is plugged in' icon in
    > windoze 2000Pro is sitting in my taskbar.
    > So I clicked it and it shows the "C" drive as a USB device??
    > Is this normal with S-ATA motherboards and win2000??
    >
    > Hum, the poor brain ponders this, and then Opps, does
    > this mean I could de-activate the "C" drive if I clicks the
    > wrong thing when I begin to use other USB devices on this
    > newer PC??
    > Should I also be looking for a way to remove any references
    > to the "C" drive in the 'unplug' menu accessed via the taskbar
    > icon?
    > IF there is a way, a preliminary fumbling about didn't show me
    > the way to a worry free life.
    >
    > tanks for illuminating a touch of strangeness to this poor
    > old octogenarian.

    This is not a "normal" situation with SATA and W2K.
    I have six workstations with W2K and SATA drives, none of which see the SATA
    drive as an external USB device.
    My guess is that thsi is just an anomaly that manifests itself with your
    particular brand of mobo, disk drive and driver set.

    Have you tried "Unplug or Eject Hardware" on your C drive?
    I'm fairly certain that Windows will not allow you to do so, and further
    that there's no way to accidentally dismount your OS drive.
    My advice is to ignore, as best ou can, that little "Unplug or Eject
    Hardware" icon in the system tray.
    If you don't use external USB devices on that setup then you can always
    uncheck "Show Unplug/Eject icon on the taskbar".

    Colon Terminus, May 12, 2008

  3. Hp

    OldMan Guest

    A sata drive, connected to a raid controler, is by default hot swapable.
    You cannot disconnect the win drive (C)
    Dont worry about it

    OldMan, May 12, 2008