    current drive? I have 1 spare IDE connector on the mobo. Will this newer
    type drive work and does it have the same IDE connection as my current one?

    TIA.

    Freebie, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Freebie

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "Freebie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> said in
    news:Vvzrg.49725$:

    > I have a ATA-100 hard drive in my pc just now and saw one I'd like to
    > add, but it says it's an S-ATA drive. Can I add this to my system
    > alongside my current drive? I have 1 spare IDE connector on the mobo.
    > Will this newer type drive work and does it have the same IDE
    > connection as my current one?

    No. You need a special SATA connector for these newer drives. Older
    machines use PATA(parallel) drives and have ribbon cables. SATA(serial) use
    a thin serial cable.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Jul 7, 2006

  3. TakeThisOut wrote:

    > I have a ATA-100 hard drive in my pc just now and saw one I'd like to add,
    > but it says it's an S-ATA drive. Can I add this to my system alongside my
    > current drive? I have 1 spare IDE connector on the mobo. Will this newer
    > type drive work and does it have the same IDE connection as my current
    > one?

    Your mainboard would need a SATA controller with appropriate plugs, or you
    may buy a pci sata controller.
    Now since harddrives still are available as pata/ide, and you have to expect
    a lifespan of max. 5 years, you may estimate how long your current pc will
    suffice. The next replacement ide drive will include the "outdated rarity
    tax" ...

    Walter Mautner, Jul 7, 2006