RWIN size

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tomm, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. tomm

    tomm Guest

    I have achieved speeds of up to 5 meg with another modem in the past on
    talktalk (uk) .. My system does not seem to like this moden however & after
    the initial use I have never managed to connect again with it.
    So I went back to by speedtouch 330 & tried using new drivers. The speed
    with these drivers (2.2 meg) was slightly worse than using my ancient
    drivers.
    So I saw a 2 part fix on the thompson site .. the first was a small prog
    changing my registry settings which gave me a half a meg increase. The 2nd
    part was this advice:

    "Adapt the Windows TCP/IP received windows (RWIN) size to allow for the
    higher rate download. These changes are different for each Windows operating
    system version, and we therefore recommend consulting your Windows
    documentation "

    I have googled , but to be honest I am a bit lost. How can I find the
    values I need ?
    I am using XP pro version 2002 service pack 2

    thanks

    tomm, Aug 8, 2007

  2. tomm

    Guest

    , Aug 9, 2007

  3. tomm

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 23:36:24 +0100, tomm wrote:

    >I have achieved speeds of up to 5 meg with another modem in the past on
    >talktalk (uk) .. My system does not seem to like this moden however & after
    >the initial use I have never managed to connect again with it.
    > So I went back to by speedtouch 330 & tried using new drivers. The speed
    >with these drivers (2.2 meg) was slightly worse than using my ancient
    >drivers.
    > So I saw a 2 part fix on the thompson site .. the first was a small prog
    >changing my registry settings which gave me a half a meg increase. The 2nd
    >part was this advice:
    >
    >"Adapt the Windows TCP/IP received windows (RWIN) size to allow for the
    >higher rate download. These changes are different for each Windows operating
    >system version, and we therefore recommend consulting your Windows
    >documentation "
    >
    > I have googled , but to be honest I am a bit lost. How can I find the
    >values I need ?

    Dozens of tuning sites and 1000's of forum posts.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 56,200 English pages for
    microsoft windows rwin
    .. (0.23 seconds)

    Usual sites for such info,

    SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads
    Microsoft Windows 98SE NDIS Intermediate Drivers Patch ... The only
    disadvantage that I know of, is that that the 373360 RWIN value seems
    bogus, ...
    www.speedguide.net/downloads.php - 83k - Cached - Similar pages

    Rwin Settings
    Reading an old tip file, it suggested that I change my RWin setting. It
    gave the following to change: ... Microsoft Windows XP ยท Microsoft
    Windows Vista ...
    http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/Rwin-Settings-ftopict472673.html -
    33k -

    Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips: Networking tweaks
    The RWIN tweak will be more significant to Windows 9x users than to ...
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks: this is both a security
    risk and a ...
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/tweaks.html - 21k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Need advice for wireless dsl connection - SpeedGuide.net Broadband ...
    Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS: ....
    [Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] ...
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=199207 - 62k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    SpeedGuide.net :: Windows 2000/XP Registry Tweaks
    Note: For best results RWIN has to be a multiple of MSS lower than 65535
    times a .... DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings ...
    www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157 - 126k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    alt.winsock FAQ
    1) Trumpet Winsock A) Which MTU, TCP RWIN, and TCP MSS settings are
    best? .... Today's most popular Internet applications for Microsoft
    Windows and IBM OS/2 ...
    www.faqs.org/faqs/windows/winsock-faq/ - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

    > I am using XP pro version 2002 service pack 2
    >
    > thanks

    Me

    why?, Aug 9, 2007