RWin Settings for multiple connection types

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by nntp.post@gmail.com, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all-

    Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different
    networks:
    ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired
    ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired
    ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road
    ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1
    connection to Internet)
    ·Dialup on the road sometimes

    Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and
    switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

    I've done tests on DSLReports (www.dslreports.com/tweaks) and see that
    depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin
    settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does
    anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will
    allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

    Thanks,
    ken

    , Jan 5, 2006

  2. NetSwitch?
    http://www.adtec.it/nwdownload-en.htm

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================

    <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...

    Thomas Wendell, Jan 5, 2006

  3. hath wroth:

    >Hi all-

    8 different newsgroups is not quite "all" but you're getting there.
    Please make an effort to be more selective.

    >Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different
    >networks:
    > ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired
    > ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired
    > ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road
    > ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1
    >connection to Internet)
    > ·Dialup on the road sometimes
    >
    >Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and
    >switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

    http://www.globesoft.com
    http://www.netswitcher.com

    I use Netswitcher for reconfiguring my laptop for the two dozen
    assorted networks I service. The trick is to remember to save
    configuration changes before I leave the site.

    However, if all you want to change is RWIN, you can find the registry
    key that controls RWIN, and build a simple reg file such as EVDO.REG
    and run it as needed. That's much easier than a complex tool that
    saves and changes literally everything involved in networking. The
    various prefab sizes in the *.REG files supplied by DSLReports is more
    than adquate:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/RWIN
    (See 60 second solution section)

    >I've done tests on DSLReports (www.dslreports.com/tweaks) and see that
    >depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin
    >settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does
    >anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will
    >allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

    Some changes will require a reboot. Not much that any tool can do
    about that.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

    Jeff Liebermann, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Guest

    Thank you Thomas & Jeff for your prompt replies.

    I've emailed the author of NetSwitch to see if that does RWIN / MTU /
    etc.

    I've read through the help on NetSwitcher and MultiNetwork Manager, but
    don't see anything there about tcp/ip stack settings. Hope to be able
    to test them out later.

    Jeff - GREAT idea about the simple reg files. That should do the trick,
    easy, quick, and effective.

    I cross-posted thread to 5 (not 8) groups, because I was unsure which
    group was most appropriate. Searches returned the most results for
    RWIN in the 5 I selected. For future reference, which single group
    would you suggest posting questions like this to? I didn't think that
    cross-posting would cause any problems, and am frankly still unaware of
    what the problem with cross-posting is. Isn't most newsgroup software
    smart enough to mark messages read in multiple threads?

    Thanks again!
    Ken

    , Jan 5, 2006
  5. hath wroth:

    >I've emailed the author of NetSwitch to see if that does RWIN / MTU /
    >etc.

    I'm not sure that it does. My laptop is sitting in my palatial
    office. I'll check later this afternoon.

    >Jeff - GREAT idea about the simple reg files. That should do the trick,
    >easy, quick, and effective.

    Yep. That's what I did before I bought Netswitcher. The problem with
    that method is that some changes really do require a reboot. Changing
    the numbers can cause "unexpected results" such as locking up the
    entire IP stack after a few connects and disconnects. That was not
    very common but intollerable for what I was doing (firmware updates
    and router configs). There were also many more changes that I wanted
    to make when switching locations. The one that drove me nuts was that
    I had to use fixed IP addresses at some sites (for security reasons)
    and dynamic (DHCP) addresses at others. Windoze has no native way to
    switch between these without reconfiguring the interface IP settings.
    Another was the SMTP server so I could send outgoing email from
    inside. That would change with each location (this was before POP3
    before SMTP and authenticated SMTP became popular). The REG files
    will work fine for simple RWIN changes, but other stuff requires an
    application.

    >I cross-posted thread to 5 (not 8) groups, because I was unsure which
    >group was most appropriate. Searches returned the most results for
    >RWIN in the 5 I selected. For future reference, which single group
    >would you suggest posting questions like this to?

    The problem is that your question is Windoze specific and has very
    little to do with wireless. The RWIN problem appears more in wired
    connections than wireless. It's often difficult to determine the
    areas covered by each newsgroup by name. It's also not a major
    disaster if you elect to crosspost. I just think it's better if you
    limit yourself to one or perhaps 2 newsgroups. When I formerly run a
    news server (never again!), I would automatically drop locally
    originated crosspostings with more than 3 groups.

    People often trim headers in their replys. If we did that, would you
    check all 5 newsgroups to see if there were any newsgroup specific
    replies?

    Some discussion on the topic:

    In order:

    comp.protocols.tcp-ip This is specific to the protocol itself and
    not really involved with the Microsoft implimentation of TCP/IP.

    alt.internet.wireless This is primarly for home wireless networking
    and not really involved in anything MS specific.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support This looks like a
    beginners group for MS users and covers a huge range of topics.

    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless This might be a good
    choice as it involves both TCP/IP and wireless from MS.

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain This seems to have
    little on wireless performance but seems to emphasize server and
    client performance.

    My guess is that the lesser evil would be:
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

    >I didn't think that
    >cross-posting would cause any problems, and am frankly still unaware of
    >what the problem with cross-posting is. Isn't most newsgroup software
    >smart enough to mark messages read in multiple threads?

    The problem with massive crossposting is that it generates huge
    threads as readers from each newgroup add their opinions to the
    discussion. Most often, the thread moves off topic and degenerates
    into multiple non-relevent discussions. I predict that this one will
    diverge into a discussion on proper usenet etiquette. If you're
    looking for quantity rather than quality, massive cross posting is the
    way to do that. However, that's not the "real" problem (from my
    warped perspective). I don't like the idea of people posting in
    newsgroups that they don't read. Read first, search with Google
    Groups, and then if you don't find anything, post.

    Jeff Liebermann, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Hi
    There are two set of parameters involved in the changing of the Internet
    source.

    Network parameters, which can easily maintained by a program like
    NetSwitcher, and TCP/IP stack parameters, which is a little hard to maintain
    flexibly.

    If you use large RWIN (like 256960) it is not so critical to change it
    between connections.

    MTU is.

    You can use the following to change easily the Parameters. You would need to
    Reboot each time, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 5, 2006
  7. Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless Jeff Liebermann <-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
    > Yep. That's what I did before I bought Netswitcher. The problem with
    > that method is that some changes really do require a reboot. Changing

    Disable and enable on the interface should cure most of the "needs reboot"
    changes.

    I think the dslreports tweaks faq is behind the times for RWIN. WinXP Pro
    will auto-tune it, and with rfc1323 and SACK, there isn't much point in
    playing with it on a per connection basis. I would set it to 64k, maybe
    256k for high speed, and forget about it.

    Most of the comments on the tweaks page are about much lower values being
    too low.

    --
    ---

    , Jan 5, 2006
  8. Guest

    In alt.internet.wireless "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <> wrote:
    > If you use large RWIN (like 256960) it is not so critical to change it
    > between connections.

    > You can use the following to change easily the Parameters. You would need to
    > Reboot each time, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

    Why would you favor "Time Stamping - No"?

    The grammatical errors on that site are distracting.

    --
    ---

    , Jan 5, 2006
  9. <> wrote in message

    Quote: Why would you favor "Time Stamping - No"?
    See here: http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5NP0C153PI.html
    Quote: The grammatical errors on that site are distracting.
    Yap, the author have a mild form of Agraphia. Correct the page and email it
    to the email on site, and I will take care of it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 5, 2006
  10. Hoppy Guest

    Dr. TCP will do exactly what you want:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tools
    There are also articles on calculating your RWIN value.

    You might also want to consider TCP Optimizer:
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

    You might also be interested in a patch to TCPIP.SYS to unlimit your
    concurrent TCP connections to more than 10:
    http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=4226patch/faq&PHPSESSID=5a6ca19f847d5c26ffc8d16f7e4c9511

    Enjoy.

    BTW, your cross-posting is generally pretty much frowned upon.
    --
    Hoppy

    ~~

    wrote on 5 Jan 2006 08:58:22 -0800:

    np> Using a win xp pro laptop. I use it to connect to serveral different
    np> networks:
    np> ·1.5mbs T1 at work via wifi and wired
    np> ·8.0/768 cable modem connection at home via wifi and wired
    np> ·Verizon EVDO 1xRTT on the road
    np> ·WiFi at places like Starbucks and Airports (guessing about a T1
    np> connection to Internet)
    np> ·Dialup on the road sometimes

    np> Ultimately, I'd love a tool that lets me save different profiles and
    np> switch RWIN depending on the connection type.

    np> I've done tests on DSLReports (www.dslreports.com/tweaks) and see that
    np> depending on location and connection type I should use different rwin
    np> settings for best performance. I can set these using drtcp, but does
    np> anyone know of a better tool that doesn't require a reboot and will
    np> allow for profile switching depending on where and how I am connected?

    Hoppy, Jan 6, 2006