    recorder to my PC.

    I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites. Though it's
    been a while since I used one.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just had another DVD-RW disc develop I/O errors. I would have written to it
    > less than 100 times in the last three years--I thought they were good for
    > 1000 rewrites? This one has only been used to transfer clips from my video
    > recorder to my PC.
    >
    > I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites. Though it's
    > been a while since I used one.

    Yeah, they are crap.

    Get a single scratch on them and they wont verify, formatting doesnt
    seem to sort out the bad areas on them. IMO totally useless in the era
    of 30c dvd-r's

    Richard, Dec 6, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter M Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:50:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Just had another DVD-RW disc develop I/O errors. I would have written to it
    >less than 100 times in the last three years--I thought they were good for
    >1000 rewrites? This one has only been used to transfer clips from my video
    >recorder to my PC.
    >
    >I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites. Though it's
    >been a while since I used one.

    What brand..???

    Peter M, Dec 6, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter M Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:01:49 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Just had another DVD-RW disc develop I/O errors. I would have written to it
    >> less than 100 times in the last three years--I thought they were good for
    >> 1000 rewrites? This one has only been used to transfer clips from my video
    >> recorder to my PC.
    >>
    >> I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites. Though it's
    >> been a while since I used one.

    >Yeah, they are crap.
    >
    >Get a single scratch on them and they wont verify, formatting doesnt
    >seem to sort out the bad areas on them. IMO totally useless in the era
    >of 30c dvd-r's

    DVD-RAM is the best System..

    Peter M, Dec 6, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > What brand..???

    Sheppard..

    EMB, Dec 6, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:42:07 +1300, Peter M <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:50:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Just had another DVD-RW disc develop I/O errors. I would have written to it
    >>less than 100 times in the last three years--I thought they were good for
    >>1000 rewrites? This one has only been used to transfer clips from my video
    >>recorder to my PC.
    >>
    >>I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites. Though it's
    >>been a while since I used one.

    >What brand..???

    I've had a few TDK DVD-RWs go bad. I also only use them in my Panasonic DVD
    recorder, then transfer to PC for authoring. These weren't used that match
    either. Some wouldn't have been used more than 30 times tops.

    Cima, Dec 6, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:01:49 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Just had another DVD-RW disc develop I/O errors. I would have
    >>> written to it less than 100 times in the last three years--I
    >>> thought they were good for 1000 rewrites? This one has only been
    >>> used to transfer clips from my video recorder to my PC.
    >>>
    >>> I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites.
    >>> Though it's been a while since I used one.

    >> Yeah, they are crap.
    >>
    >> Get a single scratch on them and they wont verify, formatting doesnt
    >> seem to sort out the bad areas on them. IMO totally useless in the
    >> era of 30c dvd-r's

    > DVD-RAM is the best System..

    Gotta agree. After having DVD RW disks of varying brands lasting only tens
    of writes, if that, I'm yet to have a RAM disk crap out on me.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2008
  8. In message <ghciri$m6j$>, Richard wrote:

    > IMO totally useless in the era of 30c dvd-r's

    Hmm, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea of using write-once discs just
    to transfer stuff from one device to another before throwing them away...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ghciri$m6j$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> IMO totally useless in the era of 30c dvd-r's

    > Hmm, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea of using write-once discs just
    > to transfer stuff from one device to another before throwing them away...

    USB keys. I have about a dozen of the damn things.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Dec 6, 2008
  10. In message <ghciri$m6j$>, Richard wrote:

    > IMO totally useless in the era of 30c dvd-r's

    Actually I think they are still worth it, nuisance and all. The last lot of
    Verbatim DVD-Rs I bought were $1 each, and today I got a couple more Sony
    DVD-RW discs at $3 each. So if I get more than 3 rewrites out of them,
    they'll still be cheaper than using up a write-once disc each time I need
    to transfer something from my video recorder.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 6, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <ghciri$m6j$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> IMO totally useless in the era of 30c dvd-r's

    > Hmm, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea of using write-once discs just
    > to transfer stuff from one device to another before throwing them away...

    Well you must! It helps the GDP go up and that is good.

    Gordon, Dec 6, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-06, EMB <> wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >> What brand..???

    > Sheppard..

    He is not alone..

    Gordon, Dec 6, 2008
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Peter M Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 15:13:26 +1300, Cima <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 14:42:07 +1300, Peter M <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:50:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just had another DVD-RW disc develop I/O errors. I would have written to it
    >>>less than 100 times in the last three years--I thought they were good for
    >>>1000 rewrites? This one has only been used to transfer clips from my video
    >>>recorder to my PC.
    >>>
    >>>I've also had CD-RW discs go bad after maybe a dozen rewrites. Though it's
    >>>been a while since I used one.

    >>What brand..???

    >I've had a few TDK DVD-RWs go bad. I also only use them in my Panasonic DVD
    >recorder, then transfer to PC for authoring. These weren't used that match
    >either. Some wouldn't have been used more than 30 times tops.

    Not a Real Brand, try the Mitsubishi or move to DVD-RAM..

    Peter M, Dec 6, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >> What brand..???

    > Sheppard..

    Bloody hell you're good EMB, i took me one more post before I came to
    that conclusion.

    Squiggle, Dec 6, 2008
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Peter M wrote:
    >>> What brand..???

    >> Sheppard..

    > Bloody hell you're good EMB, i took me one more post before I came to
    > that conclusion.

    Heh! I was a bit on the slow side there too. Yet another addition to the
    Woger killfile.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2008
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> Sheppard..

    >> Bloody hell you're good EMB, i took me one more post before I came to
    >> that conclusion.

    > Heh! I was a bit on the slow side there too. Yet another addition to the
    > Woger killfile.

    Pity NZ doesn't really do class action lawsuits, we could sue woger for
    the use of hard disk space required by all his entries in killfiles.
    Would get enough to pay for a half-decent meal for quite a few of us. :)

    Squiggle, Dec 6, 2008
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    >>> Bloody hell you're good EMB, i took me one more post before I came
    >>> to that conclusion.

    >> Heh! I was a bit on the slow side there too. Yet another addition to
    >> the Woger killfile.

    > Pity NZ doesn't really do class action lawsuits, we could sue woger
    > for the use of hard disk space required by all his entries in
    > killfiles. Would get enough to pay for a half-decent meal for quite a
    > few of us. :)

    LOL, yeah. I must have dragged his sorry arse (fuguratively speaking) from
    one machine to another a half-dozen times at least over the years, migrating
    OE's 'blocked senders.reg' when I change machines. If we were in the US we
    might be able to charge him for the time spent doing that too. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 7, 2008
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 6, 5:05 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > In message <ghciri$>, Richard wrote:

    > >> IMO totally useless in the era of 30c dvd-r's

    > > Hmm, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea of using write-once discs just
    > > to transfer stuff from one device to another before throwing them away...

    > USB keys. I have about a dozen of the damn things.

    But his video recorder is unlikely to take USB keys.

    USB keys have a limited number of cycles only and there is a chance
    that one supposedly
    good for 10000 cycles might only do 1000. This might well be the case
    with keys bearing advertising that are given away like ballpoint pens.

    peterwn, Dec 9, 2008
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 5:05 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Hmm, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea of using write-once
    >>> discs just to transfer stuff from one device to another before
    >>> throwing them away...
    >>>

    >> USB keys. I have about a dozen of the damn things.

    > But his video recorder is unlikely to take USB keys.

    Then he should get one that does. Do any such exist?

    > USB keys have a limited number of cycles only and there is a chance
    > that one supposedly good for 10000 cycles might only do 1000. This
    > might well be the case with keys bearing advertising that are given
    > away like ballpoint pens.

    Hmm, I've never had one fail on me yet, and I have some really old ones.
    In any case they are so cheap, who cares?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Dec 9, 2008
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>> USB keys have a limited number of cycles only and there is a chance
    >>> that one supposedly good for 10000 cycles might only do 1000. This
    >>> might well be the case with keys bearing advertising that are given
    >>> away like ballpoint pens.
    >>>

    >> Hmm, I've never had one fail on me yet, and I have some really old
    >> ones. In any case they are so cheap, who cares?

    > Somebody with their data on it may care ? At worst they may have permanently
    > lost their data, oe maybe just somewhat inconvenienced.
    >

    > geoff

    If it was important they would have a backup, And compared to a
    cd/dvd-rw, like Enkidu I've never had a Flash drive fail, but scratched
    or broken discs aren't hard to find.

    Squiggle, Dec 9, 2008