    How can I configure port forwarding and dyndns together?
    What can I do?

    , Oct 7, 2007

  2. Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 7, 11:05 am, wrote:
    > I have a rv042 router and I configured port forwarding for internal IP
    > 192.168.1.117 with all services ports udp and tcp. I have dyndns too
    > but when I configure port forwarding like before I can't reach the Ip
    > address or my dyndns for manage my router via web. Why?
    > How can I configure port forwarding and dyndns together?
    > What can I do?

    Why are you forwarding all ports to .117? The nature of NAT, and more
    importantly PAT, should allow any traffic that is requested from .117,
    back to .117 through the link-state session table. You should only
    have to forward ports that are going to come from un-requested
    traffic. What I mean here, is that if someone connects to a FTP
    server you have on 117, they are hitting your external router and the
    router will not already have a session, and will need to know what to
    do with the traffic.

    As for your issue with external web interface, by forwarding port 80,
    or whatever port that management interface works on, you have told the
    router that anything coming to your external IP should be forwarded
    to .117. This most likely overrides the router actually listening on
    port 80 for a session to the mgmt interface. The easy way to fix
    this, is to stop forwarding all ports and only forward the ones you
    need. If you still have a conflict, see if you can change the mgmt
    interface port to something you don't need to forward, and make sure
    it is a 'hole' poked through your forwarding rule. Something like
    8000 or 8080 would probably work fine, if you router allows you to
    change that session.

    As for Dyndns, I am guessing you are using that on the router itself
    and it is not working for the same reason. Put a dyndns client on
    your 117 box, or find out what port dyndns works on and stop
    forwarding it.

    Trendkill, Oct 7, 2007

  3. Merv Guest

    On Oct 7, 11:05 am, wrote:
    > I have a rv042 router and I configured port forwarding for internal IP
    > 192.168.1.117 with all services ports udp and tcp. I have dyndns too
    > but when I configure port forwarding like before I can't reach the Ip
    > address or my dyndns for manage my router via web.

    You should check the Linksys web site www.linksys.com

    You should check if you have the latest firmware for the rv042 - see
    the linksys site for that.

    Also you may want to check for a Linksys forum - this is a Cisco forum
    (even though Cisco owns Linksys)

    Merv, Oct 7, 2007