Russians claim elimination of CA with normal glass

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Aug 30, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Aug 30, 2011

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 30, 6:30 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:45:11 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Don't know how this will translate to camera optics, if it's used.

    > >http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4776...

    > It should work in principal, that is if any one can actually make it.
    >
    > But then it will have other problems.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    I found some references to a similar use in microscope lenses. But I
    think you are right, I don't think they can rule lines small enough so
    they have no other effects on visible light images, save the effect
    they want. However, these people have turned out some of the best
    optics on the planet (I've seen them) so maybe they can make it work.
    If they do, it could save some money not having to use ED glass.
    Which I'm sure will be passed onto consumers. :)

    RichA, Aug 30, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, Aug 30, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >> http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_Perf#f

    >That's possible, but Canon is still using ED and fluorite so I'm not sure
    >exactly under what circumstances this technology would be used.

    It is used in the 70-300mm DO and 400mm f/4 DO lenses. I have used
    the 400mm f/4.

    >It looks
    >like the Canon application is a "replica" grating coating whereas the
    >Russian one is actually ruled on a lens surface. Probably because using an
    >optic at 300-400x magnification is more demanding than prime focus at the
    >lens's native focal length.

    My point was that the principle is not new.

    Bruce, Aug 31, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 31, 10:02 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > >Bruce <> wrote in
    > >>http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens_Advantage_Pe....

    > >That's possible, but Canon is still using ED and fluorite so I'm not sure
    > >exactly under what circumstances this technology would be used.

    > It is used in the 70-300mm DO and 400mm f/4 DO lenses.  I have used
    > the 400mm f/4.
    >
    > >It looks
    > >like the Canon application is a "replica" grating coating whereas the
    > >Russian one is actually ruled on a lens surface.  Probably because using an
    > >optic at 300-400x magnification is more demanding than prime focus at the
    > >lens's native focal length.

    > My point was that the principle is not new.

    That I got, but this particular implementation is new.

    RichA, Aug 31, 2011