    Edition. Has anyone out there tried this or succeeded at this? I'd appreciate
    knowing one way or another.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 3, 2005

  2. I have a raptor as my c / d drives and a caviar 160 as my e and f
    I just installed xp64 to my f: drive partition and it installed fine. Just
    do not format the drive, and leave the partition alone.
    It installs dual boot and when you boot up it defaults to xp64 first and xp
    2nd. You can change the order by going into System and changing the boot
    order.

    Any other questions, just drop a line.

    Norm

    Norman Brooks, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Thanks Norman, I'll give it a try. I just didn't want to do all the work if
    it wouldn't yield positive results. That's interesting whereby it boots to
    the slower drive first, the one with XP64 on it, unless you change BIOS
    settings. I would have thought the faster Raptor or "C" drive would boot
    first by default. That's interesting!

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 4, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can change the boot order in System Properties / Advanced / startup. It
    defaults to the last system installed.

    John Barnes, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Thanks John,

    I didn't know it defaults to the last OS installed. I did know about
    advanced start up. Thanks for the info and reply. I may install the second
    hard drive later tomorrow along with the new OS, now that I've gotten some
    feedback. I'll get back with you guys and let you know how it went, or if I
    have further questions.

    With the problems I'd seen when people create partitions on a single drive,
    with both OS on it, I thought using one HDD for each OS may work better
    anyway. I've read about using WOW but apparently you'll still have driver
    issues since many don't exsist, among other issues. All my graphics, chipset,
    mouseware and USB keyboard drivers are already available for the 64 OS, just
    none of my Canon items are supported and I use them almost daily. I am going
    to try different software programs and games with the 64bit OS, naturally, to
    see what kind of improvements, if any, I get in performance. This will be a
    nice thing to try, so I can decide whether or not I want to fork over the
    money for the new OS once it hits the shelves.

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 5, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Good luck. If you are happy with basic printing, not photo quality, you can
    probably get your Canon printer to work with a substitute driver. Nothing
    for a scanner if that is what your are referring to. Let me know what
    printer you have.

    John Barnes, Oct 5, 2005
  7. I'm willing to try a substitute printer driver. I'll have to research what
    might work for my Canon S820 printer (and my Canon N650U scanner, if I can
    find one), unless you have any Links or clues that may help.

    BTW, nothing good on TV tonight, got bored and installed Win XP Pro x64 OS
    on the second WD 60GB HDD. Installed NVIDIA drivers for graphics card and
    nForce3 chipset then ran Doom3. Excuse me while I regress but "Dang, Man,
    what a difference! This is COOL!" The graphics are so much better than Win XP
    w/SP2, nearly lifelike! I'm 48 and love 3-D games. I have a GeForce 6800 GT
    OC 256MB AGP graphics card and an AMD FX-53 processor. Graphics were good
    before but I'd never expected such a drastic improvement. It's getting late
    where I live, after midnight, so I must quit soon but I can't wait to try
    more apps and see how they run.

    I had a problem with an nForce3 IDE driver, that kept certain drives from
    appearing when I'd reboot. Once I'd deleted this driver all the drives
    appeared. If I keep seeing improvements, like I'm seeing with Doom3, I'll be
    hooked on this OS. I've read the reviews for the 64bit OS, sat down and watch
    the video from Microsoft describing the changes, heard that even 32bit apps
    would see some improvement and yet never expected such a profound
    improvement. So far, this is great!

    Thanks again for the help.

    Scotty

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 5, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you try the BJC-8000 printer (driver) and see how that works. Let
    me know and I will check which one works on my Canon when I get home.

    John Barnes, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, John. I've been busy and didn't set the last
    reply to "Notify me". I'll give it a try soon and let you know. Thanks.

    BTW, there was a problem using nForce Unified Driver Pack and the NVIDIA IDE
    driver. Every time I'd reboot or do a cold boot, the CD-Rom and HDD drives
    would disapear and reapear, under My Computer. Same thing was happening in
    Windows XP Home. Once I deleted the NVIDIA IDE driver and used the default
    Windows IDE, it worked again to show all the drives on my computer. I'm
    wondering if I have to delete the Windows IDE driver before the NVIDIA IDE
    will work? When installing the nForce set, I get a message about an IDE SW
    driver that's an optional install, claiming I don't need it but that it
    reduces bottlenecks and makes the System perform better. Have you seen this
    or are you familiar with this problem/conflict?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 7, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There have been a number of anomalies with those drivers and several have
    mentioned it was solved by installing the next older version of the drivers.
    You might also need either a BIOS update or rollback. Several have also had
    problems solved by reinstalling an older BIOS, especially on ASUS A8N series
    Also, are these items IDE or are they SATA treated as IDE by Nforce4. Are
    you talking about the PATA or SATA controller or the drives?
    Finally, is this only in My Computer. What is the exact behaviour? How do
    they disappear and appear. The whole panel is there at first, then after
    some period they go away, then after some other period they appear again?
    I personally have no Microsoft drivers on the controllers, only Nvidia and
    only Microsoft drivers on the drives.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Indeed I had to rollback BIOS version on my Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 to F6.
    Version F7 and later are for dual-core AMD64 CPUs and I lost some application
    functionality with the latest versions, especially with my hardware
    monitoring software.
    The primary drive to pull the disappearing act was an IDE drive (Creative
    CD-RW), that would disappear and reappear, set to Slave or as my secondary
    CD-RW drive. My primary CD-ROM is a SONY DVD-CDRW set to Master and never
    disappeared. Sometimes the SATA Raptor or the WD 60GB HDD would do the same.
    I have an nForce3 Northbridge and used version 5.10 Unified Drivers, the
    latest I could find. The drives always appear in BIOS. Only after Windows XP
    32 or 64 bit full boot does the probelm occur. The exact behaviour; restart
    Windows/look in My Computer/drive letters D, E, F, not always showing and
    won't work when trying to access same. Rebooting or a cold boot would often
    bring them back but not always. The drives don't just disappear after some
    time, it always happens after a start-up of Windows and you can actually see
    Windows taking more time to load, as if it's hung up looking for something,
    just before the Windows Welcome screen appears.
    You say all you have are the nForce drivers and no Microsoft? When you added
    the NVIDIA Unified Package (or loaded them individually), did you install all
    the drivers in the list or just some (i.e., GART, Audio, SW, IDE,...)? Did
    you have to uninstall the Microsoft drivers that are installed by default
    during the OS installation and hardware detection, or just load the nForce
    over them? I did the latter and that's when problems began. I still have all
    NVIDIA drivers, just deleted the NVIDIA IDE driver to get things to work.
    In Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, all I see now is 2
    Primary IDE Channel, 2 Secondary IDE Channel and 2 Standard Dual Channel PCI
    IDE Controller. After installing NVIDIA Forceware, these were all gone and
    there was (going from memory) one nForce IDE and one nForce SATA controller.
    When looking at Properties for the IDE here, the second CD-RW would often be
    missing at the same time it didn't show under My Computer, same as the second
    HDD. The SATA Raptor was always there before and now I don't see any SATA
    devices listed. My Raptor does show up under Device manager but it now shows
    as only a Dick Drive and no longer as a Serial ATA anywhere. This seems odd
    to say the least.
    I hope you can understand my explainations. I haven't tried to uninstall the
    MS IDE drivers and just install the NVIDIA alone, since things seem to work
    now. I would like to use the NVIDIA drivers alone, since I'd read the perform
    better and reduce System bottlenecks. I'd like to hear how you got yours to
    work before trying this. Thanks again for the reply and for your time.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 7, 2005
  12. UPDATE/EDIT:Unified drivers for Win x64 aren't the version 5.10, they're the
    BETA drivers I'd found at NVIDIA. The version 5.10 drivers are used on WinXP
    Home SP2 but both OSs have the same issues with the NVIDIA IDE drivers,
    regardless of the OS or version.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 7, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    All I can add at this point is that the Nvidia drivers that are in all 3
    controllers on my system (PATA and 2 SATA ) are Nvidia signed by WHQL they
    are
    nvata.sys v 5.10.2600.0534 and idecoi.dll v 1.0.0.1
    I have no problems with IDE or SATA I with these drivers. I gave up on SATA
    II and uninstalled it since I couldn't install or boot an OS from it and
    didn't need it as storage.

    John Barnes, Oct 7, 2005
  14. Thanks John,

    Not sure what SATA II is, although Gigabyte tech support did tell me to
    Enable something to that effect in BIOS (SATA 2 ?), to run my HDD off the
    nForce chipset and not off the Silicone RAID chip. I'll have to reboot and
    look at BIOS settings again, to see if this was the case. Sorry about any
    type-os while writing. I'm just worn out trying to resolve this. If I can get
    it to work, on the nForce side, I'll write back and let you know what I had
    done.

    Scotty

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 7, 2005
  15. UPDATE:
    Seems as if using an old Creative Labs CD-RW drive was causing all the
    grief. For whatever reason, it kept causing my IDE drives and HDDs to
    disappear intermittently at reboot. Nothing worked, not updating drivers, not
    rolling back drivers, uninstall and reinstall of nForce drivers, using new
    cables, changing jumpers from Master/Slave to Cable Select,... I tried
    everything I could think of and many things other people thought of, still no
    go.

    Since there were no Firmware updates for this drive and in was built
    pre-Windows XP, I decided to try a new DVD-RW that was on sale and to my
    surprise, it took care of the problem!!! No more drives disappearing, no more
    headaches. Only problem now is that I'll most likely have to reinstall
    everything, including Windows XP on the SATA HDD and Windows Pro x64 on the
    IDE HDD, since all was installed from and while the IDEs were faulty. I was
    hoping I wouldn't have to reformat/reinstall but I've still been seeing some
    odd behaviour in Windows, like the wrong apps opening and strange IE and
    Outlook behaviour. I'm hoping a clean install from and with a working,
    compatible DVD drive will solve everything.

    Thanks again to both John and Norman, for your help and time. Haven't been
    able to get my printer to work yet, on the x64 OS but at least I think the
    main problem has been solved. Never would have figured that a CD-RW drive
    made back in 2000 would have been to blame, especially when it's not
    defective, just seemingly incompatible (works fine on an older computer with
    an AMD XP CPU, just not on the new one with the AMD64. Very strange!).

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 13, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Glad to hear you have it up and running. Good luck with your re-install. I
    hope it solves the odd behaviours.

    John Barnes, Oct 13, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You didn't say if you tried the driver suggested, but it should give you
    some functionality. I think there was an old post on planetamd64 that
    listed your printer. I did check and that is the one I have on my x64 at
    home.

    John Barnes, Oct 13, 2005
  18. I did try the BCJ-8000 printer driver. When I tried to run the install, it
    said it wasn't compatible with my printer and the x64 Operating System and
    stopped the install in its' tracks.

    Guess I'll need to look on planetamd64, to see if there's a driver for my
    S820 Bubble-Jet. Worth a look and a try.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 16, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are installing it wrong if it even knows you have another printer. Go
    to Settings, Printers and Faxes and Add a Printer, select local printer and
    uncheck Automatically detect Plug and play. Set up your printer port as
    necessary (the one your printer is attached to) and you will get a list of
    printers to install. Select the Canon and the model BJC-8000. Then when
    you do a print select the BJC-8000 printer.

    John Barnes, Oct 16, 2005
  20. OK, John, I'll give that a try. Normally, I'd see the Hardware Wizard while
    doing a printer install on Windows XP but all I saw was the "incompatibility"
    message the last time, on the x64 OS. I'll try following your suggestions and
    see what happens. The normal procedure was to turn off the printer, reboot,
    turn the printer on and let Windows ask for the drivers, then choose them
    from a temporary folder created after the driver install. I haven't treid to
    uncheck the auto-detect yet, as you've pointed out. I just downloaded the
    drivers from the Cnanon Site and placed them on my Desktop, then ran the
    install the way I've described. I'll give it a shot and let you know what
    develops.

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5?=, Oct 16, 2005