    pc performance i have xp home 32bit at moment and finding pc slow when gaming
    on line ive got intel 3.ooghz duel core with 1gb ram 667mhz and a nivida
    8400gs graphics card would a 64bit make and diffrence to performance

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9tb2lhbg==?=, Nov 3, 2007

  2. You would gain a lot more by upgrading your memory - it is cheap nowadays.
    I used to have 1 GB and BF2 would be very sluggish; now I am one of the
    first when a new map is loaded

    =?Utf-8?B?amFubWFuX2Rr?=, Nov 3, 2007

  3. cheers buddy was playing arma finding it a bit sluggish when someone said i
    was running 32bit xp with duelcore should be 64bit for better performance but
    wasent sure cheers for reply

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9tb2lhbg==?=, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Tomoian,
    Your 8400gs is limiting your performance, it is a lowly performer.
    Consider upgrading to an 8600gts type card.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 3, 2007
  5. And up the RAM. 1GB is pretty minimal in this scenario

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2007
  6. cheers mate gutted now just upgraded to that 8400gs all i had funds for at mo

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9tb2lhbg==?=, Nov 4, 2007
  7. And from a strict gaming standpoint, which is the OP's issue, the video card
    is quite below the required minimum.
    The 8400's are highly feature/hardware crippled cards of the 8xxx's series.
    Even the 8600GT performs slightly above the 7600GT. The 8500 hardly compares
    to a 7300.
    My recommended 8600GTS is roughly equivalent to the 7900GS and gives more
    bang for the buck.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 4, 2007
  8. Don't follow the numbering conventions for nvidia, since I won't buy their
    stuff. ;) But I trust your appraisal of the card for the purpose - since I'm
    not a gamer, even if I knew the current numbering of nvidia cards, it
    wouldn't mean much. My needs are business graphics use. I want a card that
    can handle Vista Aero comfortably, doesn't have driver issues, and doesn't
    have a fan. I couldn't care less if it does crossfire or whatever, since I
    don't ever do anything that would notice.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?dG9tb2lhbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Following your suggestion of upping ram, I would make it the largest
    bandwidth and lowest latencies for better gaming.

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    John Barnes, Nov 5, 2007
  10. Hmmm. Well, I'd be curious to see a good, side by side, comparison that
    showed more than single digit percentage differences. For way more than
    single digit price differences.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 5, 2007
  11. Me too.
    Memory size seems to be more important than speed.
    Getting back to video cards, even the crossfire/sli thing is more a myth
    than a reality.
    Pay twice the price (two cards) and get only a 5% boost on certain
    circumnstances.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 5, 2007
  12. Yes. And with all sorts of driver issues from what I've seen. Nope, I'll
    pass. Put as much reliable RAM in there as will fit, throw in a decent (but
    not upper end) ATI video card that doesn't need a fan, and I'm in business.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 5, 2007