    installing Windows XP (Pro) on the Dell PowerEdge 1850?
    Thanks!
    LuAnn
    lu, Feb 22, 2006

  2. lu

    Rick Guest

    Do you mean Windows XP x64? If so, according to the Dell web site, you
    should be able to do this since the system supports 2 64-bit enable Xeon
    CPUs.

    Dell lists the following as options for this model:

    Windows Server® 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
    Windows Server® 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition

    This system is intended as a server and apparently Dell supports Server
    OSs on this hardware.

    Rick, Feb 22, 2006

  3. lu

    lu Guest

    Dell does not list Windows XP x64 (or any version of Windows XP) as an
    option for this model, as far as I know. Will only the x64 version of
    Windows XP work on this model? The dual-core Dell Precision 670 supports
    both Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Pro x64.

    lu, Feb 22, 2006
  4. lu

    Rick Guest

    What Dell is telling you is this computer is intended as a server and
    has been tested/certified with Server OS's.

    Windows XP and Windows x64 will probably run on this system, but if you
    have any problems, software or hardware, with these installed then Dell
    is not going to help you.

    So, it depends on whether you want to take a chance, and be on your own
    when problems crop up, or do you want to go with a model that Dell will
    support Win x64 on?

    You have to decide which is best for you.

    Have you looked for a hardware forum with this model being the focus
    where you might find more information? This group is not really geared
    for hardware support. It's intended to support Windows x64 operating
    systems.

    lu wrote:
    > Dell does not list Windows XP x64 (or any version of Windows XP) as an
    > option for this model, as far as I know. Will only the x64 version of
    > Windows XP work on this model? The dual-core Dell Precision 670 supports
    > both Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Pro x64.
    >

    > Rick wrote:
    >> Do you mean Windows XP x64? If so, according to the Dell web site,
    >> you should be able to do this since the system supports 2 64-bit
    >> enable Xeon CPUs.
    >>
    >> Dell lists the following as options for this model:
    >>
    >> Windows Server® 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
    >> Windows Server® 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition
    >>
    >> This system is intended as a server and apparently Dell supports
    >> Server OSs on this hardware.
    >> lu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because of space constraints, we would like to use a Dell PowerEdge
    >>> 1850. Dell has disclaimed any support of Windows XP on this
    >>> PowerEdge, but we would like to load Windows XP. Has anyone had
    >>> experience with installing Windows XP (Pro) on the Dell PowerEdge 1850?
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> LuAnn

    Rick, Feb 22, 2006