Running Windows 98 generated PGP SDA on XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nozza, May 19, 2007.

  1. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    Looking through some old CDs of backups for some files, I found a PGP
    Self Decrypting Archive. So I thought I would decrypt to see what is
    in it.

    It was created in 2002 when I used a Windows 98 PC.

    When I run the program now, nothing happens :(

    I have tried running in Windows 98 compatibility mode, and forced the
    window to stay open when the program terminates and I see a message
    "Program too big to fit in memory".

    Any ideas how to get this running under XP Pro with all the patches?

    I don't have access to Windows 98 any more.

    Thanks

    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, May 19, 2007

  2. Nozza

    John Holmes Guest

    Nozza "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    --
    Thank you.

    John Holmes, May 19, 2007

  3. Nozza

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya John Holmes.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Nozza "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Erm... Why?

    I can see the point in spam/scam messages but this contained none of
    either.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, May 19, 2007
  4. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    Thanks for that positive post.

    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, May 19, 2007
  5. Nozza

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Nozza" <> wrote in message
    > Looking through some old CDs of backups for some files, I found a PGP
    > Self Decrypting Archive. So I thought I would decrypt to see what is
    > in it.
    >
    > It was created in 2002 when I used a Windows 98 PC.
    >
    > When I run the program now, nothing happens :(
    >
    > I have tried running in Windows 98 compatibility mode, and forced the
    > window to stay open when the program terminates and I see a message
    > "Program too big to fit in memory".
    >
    > Any ideas how to get this running under XP Pro with all the patches?
    >
    > I don't have access to Windows 98 any more.

    You don't have ANY Windows 98 setup CDs? You don't have a family member or
    neighbor kid with one?

    Sure, you don't want to install W98 on your current PC, but if you can get a
    setup disc, you can run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on your XP system, and
    install W98 in a virtual PC.

    WhzzKdd, May 19, 2007
  6. Nozza

    Guest

    Nozza <> wrote:

    >Looking through some old CDs of backups for some files, I found a PGP
    >Self Decrypting Archive. So I thought I would decrypt to see what is
    >in it.
    >
    >It was created in 2002 when I used a Windows 98 PC.
    >
    >When I run the program now, nothing happens :(

    I've never created a Self Decrypting Archive, but it makes since
    nothing happens; one would expect not only your public key but your
    pass phrase to open it.

    I still use PGP2.6.2 when required, and it works in dos mode under XP.
    --

    40 yrs ago...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZez_k4vAzU

    , May 20, 2007
  7. Nozza

    Guest

    , May 20, 2007
  8. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:12:59 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    >Sure, you don't want to install W98 on your current PC, but if you can get a
    >setup disc, you can run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on your XP system, and
    >install W98 in a virtual PC.

    Thanks for the tip - I might end up going down that route. I have got
    a setup disk and key from a dead machine I could use.

    Thanks for the hint

    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, May 20, 2007
  9. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:22:41 -0700, wrote:

    >I've never created a Self Decrypting Archive, but it makes since
    >nothing happens; one would expect not only your public key but your
    >pass phrase to open it.

    The SDA functionality didn't require PGP to be installed to
    self-decrypt and didn't use keyrings etc. As long as the passphrase
    was know the idea was anyone would be able to extract the contents
    simply by running the program...

    ....alas!

    Cheers

    Noz
    --
    Email (ROT13)

    Nozza, May 20, 2007
  10. Nozza

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Nozza" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:12:59 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Sure, you don't want to install W98 on your current PC, but if you can get
    >>setup disc, you can run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on your XP system, and
    >>install W98 in a virtual PC.

    > Thanks for the tip - I might end up going down that route. I have got
    > a setup disk and key from a dead machine I could use.
    >
    > Thanks for the hint

    Yup! I use it to run XP on my Vista laptop so I can play some games that
    Vista won't allow, and also to access my office VPN (Netware doesn't have
    full support for Vista yet.)

    We have one old DOS program at the office that was custom written, and the
    programmer is long gone. We don't want to pay to have the program written to
    run in Windows, so I'm thinking about setting up a virtual enviroment for
    that on one of our systems so I can eliminate that one final old system.

    WhzzKdd, May 20, 2007