    problematic in any way ? Win98 ?

    Thanks!

    Daniel

    Daniel, May 12, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    If you know how to install Win 98 there should be no problem.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 12, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Thor Guest

    "Huge" sum? The XP Home upgrade disc is like $89-99, and the XP Pro OEM disc
    can be found for around $140. I guess "huge sum" is in the eye of the
    beholder. IMHO, putting it in perspective, it's a reasonable price,
    considering all the OS does these days, it's complexity, and the fact that
    the XP Home upgrade version is about the same price as the Win98, and Win95
    upgrade discs when they were released years ago.

    As to your question, you should be able to use WIn98 just fine. You may want
    to double check your setup CD and make sure it is generic enough to install
    on a different PC. Many OEM discs provided with name brand PCs will not
    install on other hardware. Whoever is building your computer may also have
    to contend with seeking out updated Win98 drivers for some components if
    they aren't included with the hardware. Seriously though, if it were me, I'd
    bite the financila bullet and get XP. It's well worth it for the added
    stability and better hardware support.

    Thor, May 12, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I agree, I used Win 98 for years and thought it was pretty good but recently
    I installed Windows XP Pro and it's a thousand times better than Win 98.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 12, 2004
  5. Daniel

    The Prophecy Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll
    > have exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem
    > arose when I noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software.
    > That would put me over my budget. I then realized that I still have
    > my original Win98 disc that was included with my first computer (now
    > deceased). Could I just use that as my operating system ? I'd save a
    > bundle that way! Would this be problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Daniel

    IMO Win98 is a piece of crap OS compared to Win XP but since you don't want
    the upgrade....

    Yes, you could use 98 as your OS, setting it up should be fine but when you
    start using it remember that it tends to crash quite often.

    The Prophecy, May 12, 2004
  6. Daniel

    David Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message news:<wWloc.454726$Ig.203323@pd7tw2no>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll have
    > exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem arose when I
    > noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software. That would put me
    > over my budget. I then realized that I still have my original Win98 disc
    > that was included with my first computer (now deceased). Could I just use
    > that as my operating system ? I'd save a bundle that way! Would this be
    > problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Daniel

    Im not sure what the HUGE sum is for xp. XP home upgrade retail is
    about us $89. oem full version about the same. You have 98 so you
    can use upgrade retail. Win98 would work but I would pay the extra
    for oem or retail xp or use linux.
    Dave

    David, May 12, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Huge" sum? The XP Home upgrade disc is like $89-99, and the XP Pro OEM disc
    > can be found for around $140. I guess "huge sum" is in the eye of the
    > beholder. IMHO, putting it in perspective, it's a reasonable price,

    True. Several times I've been, well, sort of moneyless. Actually quite a
    few times. It was interesting how your buying habits change overnight
    and how much you start to value a few dimes or even a quarter tip. Once,
    I had to kiss ass just to get and keep a $9/hour job. Heck, I'd even
    over-inflate the tires on my car to get a few more miles/gallon. It can
    happen to anybody at anytime. Its a good reason to keep your credit card
    balance as low as possible even in the good times as yeah, things can
    change overnight. Its quite shocking when you go to work one Monday and
    your keycard dont open the door anymore :)

    Plato, May 12, 2004
  8. Daniel

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Running Win98 on a new PC ????
    >From: "The Prophecy"
    >Date: 5/12/04 7:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Daniel wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll
    >> have exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem
    >> arose when I noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software.
    >> That would put me over my budget. I then realized that I still have
    >> my original Win98 disc that was included with my first computer (now
    >> deceased). Could I just use that as my operating system ? I'd save a
    >> bundle that way! Would this be problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Daniel

    >IMO Win98 is a piece of crap OS compared to Win XP but since you don't want
    >the upgrade....
    >
    >Yes, you could use 98 as your OS, setting it up should be fine but when you
    >start using it remember that it tends to crash quite often.

    I have been using 98 for years and it never crashed even once,

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, May 12, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thanks for ALL your replies! I really apprciate it!

    By "HUGE SUM" I meant that locally, in Canada, here's what WinXP Home costs:

    http://tinyurl.com/2wwgr

    Btw, Future Shop is a major retail chain of stores.

    Daniel

    PS: Were you getting your prices from eBay or something ? Sure, if WinXP
    would be like 100 bucks then I'd go for it!

    Daniel, May 12, 2004
  10. Daniel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (ArtKramr) wrote in news:20040512133753.24684.00001450@mb-
    m29.aol.com:

    > I have been using 98 for years and it never crashed even once,

    Either we are using different meanings of "Crash", you don't actually use
    your computer ever, or you are lying.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 12, 2004
  11. Daniel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in

    > By "HUGE SUM" I meant that locally, in Canada, here's what WinXP Home
    > costs:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2wwgr
    >
    > Btw, Future Shop is a major retail chain of stores.

    Major retail chain doesn't equal best price

    > Daniel
    >
    > PS: Were you getting your prices from eBay or something ? Sure, if
    > WinXP would be like 100 bucks then I'd go for it!

    eBay would be much cheaper than $100. Here is a link to XP Home edition
    (full version, not the upgrade) for $91 on newegg.com:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-141&depa=0

    DeMoN LaG, May 12, 2004
  12. Daniel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    DeMoN LaG <> wrote in

    > eBay would be much cheaper than $100. Here is a link to XP Home
    > edition (full version, not the upgrade) for $91 on newegg.com:
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-141&de
    > pa=0

    I just checked and Newegg does not ship to anywhere but the US, Puerto
    Rico, and overseas military, so you can't order from there. However, do
    check Pricewatch.com out and just look for a copy of Windows XP Home OEM,
    it shouldn't run you much more than $100.

    DeMoN LaG, May 12, 2004
  13. Daniel

    Chas Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message news:<Khqoc.2392$RM.2167@edtnps89>...
    > Daniel wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm currently having a custom pc build for me. As it stands now, I'll
    > > have exactly what I want for much less. It'll be AMD based. Problem
    > > arose when I noted the HUGE sum I'd have to pay for WinXP software.
    > > That would put me over my budget. I then realized that I still have
    > > my original Win98 disc that was included with my first computer (now
    > > deceased). Could I just use that as my operating system ? I'd save a
    > > bundle that way! Would this be problematic in any way ? Win98 ?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Daniel

    > IMO Win98 is a piece of crap OS compared to Win XP but since you don't want
    > the upgrade....
    >
    > Yes, you could use 98 as your OS, setting it up should be fine but when you
    > start using it remember that it tends to crash quite ofte

    I'd agree w/ the others that XP is a superior OS, and pretty much
    everything else that has been mentioned. But if you're doing a clean
    install w. 98; make sure the disc is the full version and not the
    upgrade (as I think someone mentioned).

    Keep us posted.

    Chas, May 12, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > DeMoN LaG <> wrote in
    >
    > > eBay would be much cheaper than $100. Here is a link to XP Home
    > > edition (full version, not the upgrade) for $91 on newegg.com:
    > > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-141&de
    > > pa=0
    > >

    > I just checked and Newegg does not ship to anywhere but the US, Puerto
    > Rico, and overseas military, so you can't order from there. However, do
    > check Pricewatch.com out and just look for a copy of Windows XP Home OEM,
    > it shouldn't run you much more than $100.

    Ok, thanks for checking this for me.

    Daniel

    Daniel, May 14, 2004
  15. Daniel

    Hoffman Guest

    TigerDirect.ca sells the OEM version of XP Home for $139.99. They include an
    internal hardware component with it, so it is legal.
    You would have to add a shipping charge unless you add something to your
    order so it is over $200.00. Then shipping is probably free; for most areas
    anyway.
    Larry

    Hoffman, May 15, 2004
  16. Daniel

    Pepperoni Guest

    Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Full version oem * Must purchase with
    any Hardware $139.00
    http://tinyurl.com/34z5v
    Microsoft Windows XP Home - Full version oem * Must purchase with any
    Hardware $89.00

    Pepperoni, May 15, 2004