    start all over from scratch, which I hoping not to do, both from the
    perspective of cost and time.

    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 8, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Theo Guest

    The 64-bit version boots up in the 64-bit mode only. There
    is no way to make it boot in the 32-bit mode. If you want
    to replace the 64-bit version, you must completely delete
    the current installation and do a new installation of the
    32-bit version, or do a dual boot with each version on
    different partitions or drives. There is neither an upgrade
    path nor a downgrade path between the 2 versions.

    Theo, Oct 8, 2007

  3. Thanks, Theo, that is what I was afraid of. I am not enarmoured at all with
    Vista, I was running XP on my old computer, but it was too slow, so I rebuilt
    a new computer with a Quad 4, 4 GB DDR2, 750 GB SATA, etc., and just figured
    it would be wise to use the 64 bit, as eventually it would be needed. Vista,
    however, is not letting me do anything from my old drive, which I slaved,
    multiple issues with the program thus far. I might just delete it and try XP
    on the new SATA drive.

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 8, 2007
  4. Rick:
    You might also try the freeware Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 in Vista x64,
    installing Windows XP 32-bit (as guest OS) and your problematic apps there.
    That might "patch" your incompatibilities for the time being.
    What apps are you giving problems?
    Have you tried running them in XP SP2 compatibility mode?
    There might be workarounds for your problems.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 8, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Most programs will not run from an old drive, whether XP or Vista. Most
    must be installed on the system they are going to run on. Most programs
    that will run on Vista 32 will also run on Vista 64, so make sure the
    programs are Vista compatible. Also, some of the newer motherboards do not
    have drivers for XP, so make sure they are available before you make the
    change.

    John Barnes, Oct 8, 2007
  6. Oops!
    Sorry for my poor English.
    I should have written:
    "What apps are you having problems with?"
    or
    "What apps are giving you problems"
    And John's comments are in the right direction.
    Apps need being reinstalled in the OS.
    I had skipped that detail also (not a good day for my lazy braincells!)
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 8, 2007
  7. Carlos:
    Unfortunately, when I build the new computer, I did it for the sole
    purpose of downloading videos from my new Sony HD digital camcorder I bought,
    and it worked on the old system, but was taking upto 8 hours to master a
    video. So, I did not check to see if it was Vista 64 bit compatible when I
    bought it. After discovering I could download pictures but not the videos, I
    then checked the Sony website and wrote to them, and unfortunately their
    software, which is the one I need, runs on Vista 32 bit but not 64. So, it
    looks like I will have to buy another version of Vista, the 32 bit, reformat
    the HD, and reinstall everyting all over again. Wish I had done just a
    little more research.

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 8, 2007
  8. Rick:
    Are you using Firewire (IEEE1394) for downloading videos from your camcorder
    to your PC?
    That is the connection I use to do it with my old JVC DV camera in Vista x64.
    I use neither USB nor audio/video.
    Just Firewire, no JVC software.
    When I plug the camera I have a pop-up menu with Windows Movie Maker
    offering me to make a movie and also NeroVision saying something similar.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 8, 2007
  9. Carlos:
    I am using the USB connection. I am not sure if the camera came with an
    adapter for Firewire. I was hoping that Vista would have a program that
    would download it, but did not try your suggestion. I will do that. It
    would be nice, but the only problem I still may encounter is Sonyuses a
    different format for their HD videos, ACHDV or something like that, that
    needs to be converted to be mastered in Adobe, and of course, that conversion
    program is in the software program that I cannot get to run while I have
    Vista 64 bit, it only runs in 32 bit. I will give it a shot when I get home,
    though, it's worth a try. Very discouraging knowing that I probably will
    have to reformat everything, but a new Vista program, and start over.

    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 8, 2007
  10. Rick:
    The key point here would be to know the exact name (or acronym) the Sony
    propietary HD encoding format.
    If we find a suitable decoder then you would not need Sony's proggie for the
    intermediate conversion (my best guess) and might use another one, compatible
    with Vista x64.
    Please take a look at the camera manual and see if it says something about
    the video format.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 8, 2007
  11. Rick:
    Good news.
    I've been doing some research on the web.
    I learnt here
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/HDR-UX1-and-HDR-SR1---Sony-Unveils-AVCHD-Camcorders.htm
    the necessary data for understanding this new AVCHD (that's the right
    acronym) format launched early 2006.
    The good news is that Nero Vision 4, a part of Nero Burning ROM 7 package,
    has the possibility of capturing video in that format (and I presume convert
    it to something else).
    Here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Video_Codec_High_Definition
    you will find more info about this format and decoder programs.
    I don't have any video in that format so I cannot be sure about what I am
    going to say now but maybe the freeware ffdshow decoder might decode this
    format.
    You will find a 32-bit version here:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
    and a 64-bit version here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=173941&package_id=214245&release_id=523000
    Both versions can be installed and coexist peacefully in Vista x64 (I have
    them that way).
    64-bit programs (like Windows Movie Maker or Windows DVD Maker) will use the
    64-bit decoder.
    32-bit programs (like the default Windows Media Player) will use the 32-bit
    decoder.
    Best of luck!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 8, 2007
  12. Before making drastic decisions, Rick, you might tell us what version of
    Vista you have installed? If it's 'Ultimate' you can legally remove the
    64bit installation and exchange it for a 32bit with the same product key, if
    I'm not mistaken. You should have both right there on the installation
    media.

    Otherwise, you can forget this and put confidence in what these good people
    have been telling you. I too think there are many good reasons to hang on to
    the 64bit one, as long as everything is behaving.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 8, 2007
  13. Tony:
    I have Vista Ultimate. That would be great if I could remove the 64 bit,
    and install the 32 bit. Now where to go from here?

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 9, 2007
  14. Carlos:
    You really are a great help, thank you. I have the HDR-SR5 Sony, and
    after reading your notes and exploring the web sites you enclosed, I wonder
    if Adobe has a patch for the AVCHD format, right now they do not support it.
    That would be by far the easier thing to do, as I just download the clips
    with the Sony software. After I clicked on the hyperlink for the 64 bit
    version from the two web sites you sent me, it looks like the 64 bit version
    supports AMD64 architechture, and I am running an Intel Quad Core, so I am
    wondering if it possibly might not work with my chip. Time to do a little
    research. Thank you again, more ideas are always great.

    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=, Oct 9, 2007
  15. Rick:
    I know close to nothing about those Quad Core Intels but I guess they run
    the same extended 64-bit instruction set as the AMD's, otherwise you would
    not be able to be running Vista x64 on it!
    Install both ffdshow decoders (32-bit and 64-bit).
    That might help your Adobe software to recognize the Sony format.
    Just a hunch.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 9, 2007
  16. I am not on Vista myself so better hang on and get the salient parts from
    the other's. I cannot remember the If's, And's or But's of the Licences
    involved. Ordinarily, I would say back up your data - re-boot the DVD,
    repartition and install the HD with the 32bit version using the same
    product key.

    If you do it this way, and considering the amount of data you'll be having -
    I would suggest installing to a fairly limited System Partition and create a
    more substantial separate PRIMARY partition for your data - it will ease
    backing up and you'll have more freedom to experiment with salvage
    operations (including re-creating the system partition) if the OS ever goes
    down south - all without risking your data.

    It will not save you from ordinary fits of 'idiocy', normal care is in
    order. But I think you will probably sleep sounder after a while.

    Having said that, I still think you should investigate keeping it all as it
    is, if you can get those codecs to work as Carlos have been investigating.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 9, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Theo Guest

    This option is only available if you purchase the full
    Retail version. If you purchase an OEM version this option
    does not exist.

    Theo, Oct 9, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Duke Guest

    I am trying to run DV camera on Vista 64, but even with drivers, 64 tells me
    "cannot find software." The manufacturer says camera is not compatible with
    Vista 64. Run the same camera on different computer with Vista 32, it runs
    fine. What to do?

    Duke, Jun 22, 2008
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Duke" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to run DV camera on Vista 64, but even with drivers, 64 tells
    > me
    > "cannot find software." The manufacturer says camera is not compatible
    > with
    > Vista 64. Run the same camera on different computer with Vista 32, it
    > runs
    > fine. What to do?

    I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's true.
    You only have two choices:

    1. Get a different camera.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Jun 23, 2008
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You are replying to a very old thread. You should start a new
    thread.

    You really have not given enough info - brand and model of camera
    are missing.

    some DV cameras have both USB and firewire connections. in some
    cases there is no USB support but firewire night work.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 23, 2008