Running two versions of TB on the same machine

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Hendrik Maryns, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    After some hassle I managed to install multiple versions of FF on one
    computer, one for normal use, one for testing, one for testing in other
    language etc.

    Now I want to do the same with TB, but it doesn't seem to work. I
    installed the 1.0+ version into its own folder (it wanted to install
    itself on top of my 1.0.6 version!), and ran it. Worked fine, although
    I forgot to make an extra profile for it. When I tried to run TB1.0.6
    aterwards, all I got was the Choose profile window, and when I chose the
    default profile, nothing happened, it just silently shut down. After
    reinstall I got 1.0.6 running again, but as soon as I started 1.0+ the
    same thing happened again. Does 1.0+ do something with the profile
    folders which makes them unusable for 1.0.6? Of course it was a
    nightly, which might be part of the problem.

    Anyway, does anybody have experience with running multiple TB versions,
    and if yes, how do I proceed?

    Cheers, H.
    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Hendrik Maryns

    Roland Guest

    On 7-9-2005 10:20, Hendrik Maryns wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > After some hassle I managed to install multiple versions of FF on one
    > computer, one for normal use, one for testing, one for testing in other
    > language etc.
    >
    > Now I want to do the same with TB, but it doesn't seem to work. I
    > installed the 1.0+ version into its own folder (it wanted to install
    > itself on top of my 1.0.6 version!), and ran it. Worked fine, although
    > I forgot to make an extra profile for it. When I tried to run TB1.0.6
    > aterwards, all I got was the Choose profile window, and when I chose the
    > default profile, nothing happened, it just silently shut down. After
    > reinstall I got 1.0.6 running again, but as soon as I started 1.0+ the
    > same thing happened again. Does 1.0+ do something with the profile
    > folders which makes them unusable for 1.0.6? Of course it was a
    > nightly, which might be part of the problem.
    >
    > Anyway, does anybody have experience with running multiple TB versions,
    > and if yes, how do I proceed?
    >
    > Cheers, H.

    Set the environment variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE before you start TB. Probably
    the most convenient is to create a shell script (or shell function) that
    launches the required version.
    For bash:
    #!/bin/bash
    export MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    /path/to/desired/version/of/thunderbird -profilemanager &
    For csh:
    #!/bin/csh
    setenv MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    /path/to/desired/version/of/thunderbird -profilemanager &

    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ` ___ ___
    `/__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Roland uitte de volgende tekst op 7/09/2005 22:31:
    > On 7-9-2005 10:20, Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> After some hassle I managed to install multiple versions of FF on one
    >> computer, one for normal use, one for testing, one for testing in
    >> other language etc.
    >>
    >> Now I want to do the same with TB, but it doesn't seem to work. I
    >> installed the 1.0+ version into its own folder (it wanted to install
    >> itself on top of my 1.0.6 version!), and ran it. Worked fine,
    >> although I forgot to make an extra profile for it. When I tried to
    >> run TB1.0.6 aterwards, all I got was the Choose profile window, and
    >> when I chose the default profile, nothing happened, it just silently
    >> shut down. After reinstall I got 1.0.6 running again, but as soon as
    >> I started 1.0+ the same thing happened again. Does 1.0+ do something
    >> with the profile folders which makes them unusable for 1.0.6? Of
    >> course it was a nightly, which might be part of the problem.
    >>
    >> Anyway, does anybody have experience with running multiple TB
    >> versions, and if yes, how do I proceed?
    >>
    >> Cheers, H.

    > Set the environment variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE before you start TB. Probably
    > the most convenient is to create a shell script (or shell function) that
    > launches the required version.
    > For bash:
    > #!/bin/bash
    > export MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    > /path/to/desired/version/of/thunderbird -profilemanager &
    > For csh:
    > #!/bin/csh
    > setenv MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    > /path/to/desired/version/of/thunderbird -profilemanager &

    For win32 (in a command line):
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    C:\path\to\desired\version\of\thunderbird -p

    Thanks.
    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Roland uitte de volgende tekst op 7/09/2005 22:31:
    > On 7-9-2005 10:20, Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> After some hassle I managed to install multiple versions of FF on one
    >> computer, one for normal use, one for testing, one for testing in
    >> other language etc.
    >>
    >> Now I want to do the same with TB, but it doesn't seem to work. I
    >> installed the 1.0+ version into its own folder (it wanted to install
    >> itself on top of my 1.0.6 version!), and ran it. Worked fine,
    >> although I forgot to make an extra profile for it. When I tried to
    >> run TB1.0.6 aterwards, all I got was the Choose profile window, and
    >> when I chose the default profile, nothing happened, it just silently
    >> shut down. After reinstall I got 1.0.6 running again, but as soon as
    >> I started 1.0+ the same thing happened again. Does 1.0+ do something
    >> with the profile folders which makes them unusable for 1.0.6? Of
    >> course it was a nightly, which might be part of the problem.
    >>
    >> Anyway, does anybody have experience with running multiple TB
    >> versions, and if yes, how do I proceed?
    >>
    >> Cheers, H.

    > Set the environment variable MOZ_NO_REMOTE before you start TB. Probably
    > the most convenient is to create a shell script (or shell function) that
    > launches the required version.
    > For bash:
    > #!/bin/bash
    > export MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    > /path/to/desired/version/of/thunderbird -profilemanager &
    > For csh:
    > #!/bin/csh
    > setenv MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    > /path/to/desired/version/of/thunderbird -profilemanager &

    The key is set, but when I try to run the old version of TB when the
    other one is open, it just switches to that window (on WinXP). If they
    are both shut down, just like above, I get to choose a profile, then
    nothing happens.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    www.lieverleven.be