    regards

    Thing
    , Jun 7, 2009

  2. victor Guest

    wrote:
    > I have built myself a NAS box by bolting two mid-tower cases
    > together....but one motherboard...at the moment I am running off one
    > PSU but with two cases I have two PSUs one is simply left off....now
    > in the old days of the AT style PSU I seem to remember a "unit" that
    > yous could plug two PSUs motherboard plug into which in turn fed the
    > motherboard....the idea is of course if a PSU failed you would just
    > carry on....
    >
    > Can you get these?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    You could combine them with forward biased diodes.
    victor, Jun 7, 2009

  3. Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > I have built myself a NAS box by bolting two mid-tower cases
    > together....but one motherboard...at the moment I am running off one
    > PSU but with two cases I have two PSUs one is simply left off....now
    > in the old days of the AT style PSU I seem to remember a "unit" that
    > yous could plug two PSUs motherboard plug into which in turn fed the
    > motherboard....the idea is of course if a PSU failed you would just
    > carry on....

    Yes, there are redundant PSUs the size of a standard ATX one that will
    let you pull one half out when the other half is carrying the load. Used
    extensivly on servers in places with dual AC supplies as well for
    obvious reasons.

    Not seen something that will allow 2 off the shelf ones to do it, Why
    not just use the second one to power more drives or something?
    Richard, Jun 7, 2009
  4. On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 22:06:56 +1200, Collector€NZ <>
    wrote in <news:4a2b9505$>:

    > wrote:
    >> I have built myself a NAS box by bolting two mid-tower cases
    >> together....but one motherboard...at the moment I am running off one
    >> PSU but with two cases I have two PSUs one is simply left off....now
    >> in the old days of the AT style PSU I seem to remember a "unit" that
    >> yous could plug two PSUs motherboard plug into which in turn fed the
    >> motherboard....the idea is of course if a PSU failed you would just
    >> carry on....
    >>
    >> Can you get these?
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > I solved this issue by half inching an IBM rack server from the company
    > when I decommisioned it, it was two hard a solution to do in a DIY way
    > and achieve the right results. It is not as simple as foward biased
    > diodes etc.

    One ... TWO ... three ...

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 7, 2009
  5. Guest

    On Jun 8, 2:56 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have built myself a NAS box by bolting two mid-tower cases
    > > together....but one motherboard...at the moment I am running off one
    > > PSU but with two cases I have two PSUs one is simply left off....now
    > > in the old days of the AT style PSU I seem to remember a "unit" that
    > > yous could plug two PSUs motherboard plug into which in turn fed the
    > > motherboard....the idea is of course if a PSU failed you would just
    > > carry on....

    > Yes, there are redundant PSUs the size of a standard ATX one that will
    > let you pull one half out when the other half is carrying the load. Used
    > extensivly on servers in places with dual AC supplies as well for
    > obvious reasons.

    yes I know....have you seen the cost of these!......also from my
    experience these "cheap" units are pretty crap....and getting a
    replacement module a few years from now a no show.

    > Not seen something that will allow 2 off the shelf ones to do it,

    I have many years ago.

    > Why
    > not just use the second one to power more drives or something?

    I could do....I would have to jury rig one to run all the time, not
    very elegant...I was looking for a "better" solution...
    , Jun 8, 2009
  6. Guest

    On Jun 7, 9:41 pm, victor <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have built myself a NAS box by bolting two mid-tower cases
    > > together....but one motherboard...at the moment I am running off one
    > > PSU but with two cases I have two PSUs one is simply left off....now
    > > in the old days of the AT style PSU I seem to remember a "unit" that
    > > yous could plug two PSUs motherboard plug into which in turn fed the
    > > motherboard....the idea is of course if a PSU failed you would just
    > > carry on....

    > > Can you get these?

    > > regards

    > > Thing

    > You could combine them with forward biased diodes.

    not for the faint of heart I bet....not so sure it would work
    either....
    , Jun 8, 2009