    --
    Thanks,
    Don

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9u?=, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Makes no sense at all. Why cripple your TS boxes by virtualizing them and
    forcing them to be 32-bit and limited to ~3GB of RAM each? FAR better to
    simply run one or two 64bit TS boxes with lots of RAM. Just make sure you've
    got good I/O to support it. (A nice _wide_ array with a good controller and
    plenty of cache, and good NICs.)

    Terminal Services is a core workload for x64. With good I/O, you can run 300
    on one 4-way box with sufficient RAM. I think I saw that an HP DL-585 (quad
    opteron) did ~700 before it maxed out. But trying to run them in Virtual
    Server is just wrong.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 4, 2007

  3. I agree with Charlie. My 7 year company hosting 32-bit W2K3 'physical' TS for
    the user front-end and 32-bit 'virtual' W2K3 on 32-bit W2K3 VS2005 R2 for LAN
    back-end services is just now moving to 64-bit blade servers.

    The front-end TSs will run on physical 64-bit servers while as many
    'virtual' back-end 64-bit AND 32-bit servers as possible will run on other
    64-bit W2K3 physical servers.

    Your idea to run a virtual 32-bit OS on a 64-bit physical serve does not
    increase the value of your situation that much. Once the W2K8 Virtual
    Services which allow 64-bit guest OS's with upto 20 GB RAM allocation, then
    you can decide via testing if virtual 64-bit TS services are worth it.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBNUw==?=, Sep 11, 2007