    I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
    correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?

    JW
    Jeepwolf, Dec 13, 2007

  2. Jeepwolf

    Guest

    Jeepwolf wrote:

    > Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
    > instead of my tv? I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
    > Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
    > I do that? I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
    > my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
    > going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
    > to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
    > the usual antenna/cable inputs.
    >
    > I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
    > correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?
    >
    > JW

    Are you sure your stereo does not have any video inputs? If it does,
    then run the video/audio from your DVD and VHS players to the stereo,
    and then hook the video/audio outputs of your stereo to your TV.
    Normally, you would leave the audio on the TV turned down, and listen
    to the audio from the stereo.

    If your stereo does not have any video inputs, and only has one set
    of audio inputs, then you could buy a video distrubition amp. (Radio
    Shack has them). Plug your DVD and VHS into it, and run the amps
    video to the TV and the audio to your Stereo.

    And, of course, it your stereo has DD5.1 input, then you would want
    to use it for your DVD player.
    -Bill
    , Dec 13, 2007

  3. Jeepwolf

    PapaBear Guest

    Yes, of course, your audio can go to any audio device, to your stereo or a
    home theater system, or whatever. It depends on what kinds of connectors
    they each have available, input and output. For example you might run the
    audio from your VCR to the TV, but the audio from your DVD player to your
    stereo. Or if your DVD player has audio input jacks, you could run the VCR
    into your DVD player, and the DVD player either into your TV or your stereo.
    The best way to find out is to experiment. Try it, and see if it works.

    Another possibility... If you don't have a home theater system, Walmart has
    some cheap ones, such as Durabrand which I'm using. Mine is just the
    speakers and amplifier, not a DVD player, so you can use whatever DVD player
    your already have. It has two sets of input connectors so you can hook up
    two different audio inputs, then switch between them with a remote control.
    Whenever buying, look at the back of the units to see what kinds of
    connectors they actually have available. Don't trust the box or online
    specs, which are often wrong in my experience!

    PapaBear, Dec 13, 2007
  4. On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:29:56 -0600, Jeepwolf <>
    wrote:

    >Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
    >instead of my tv?

    Yes. What model receiver do you have and what inputs does it provide?

    >I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
    >Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
    >I do that?

    The only advantage to running the video through the typical lower cost
    A/V receiver is convenience switching of the same type of video
    sources. For example, if you run the composite video and analog audio
    from the DVD player and the VCR through the receiver, and the monitor
    out to the TV, then you can switch the audio and video at the same
    time with the receiver remote.

    If the receiver doesn't have video switching or you only want to run
    one source through it, don't bother.

    >I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
    >my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
    >going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
    >to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
    >the usual antenna/cable inputs.
    >
    >I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
    >correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?

    Yes, if you want to hook up the analog audio from a source to both the
    TV and the receiver you can with y-jacks or a switch box. Radio
    Shack, for one, sells both.

    If the receiver has a digital audio input, then use that for the DVD
    player. Given you said it was only a 'stereo', it likely isn't an A/V
    receiver with a digital audio input and only has analog L/R (white and
    red RCA (AKA phono) plugs) inputs. The analog audio out from the DVD
    player is a line level out and can be plugged into any line level
    input, such as AUX, Tape, VCR, or CD, but not a phono (turntable)
    input.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
    Gary A. Edelstein, Dec 13, 2007
  5. Jeepwolf

    Jeepwolf Guest

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:19:34 -0600, Gary A. Edelstein
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:29:56 -0600, Jeepwolf <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Can I take the audio output from my DVD player and run it to my stereo
    >>instead of my tv?
    >>

    >Yes. What model receiver do you have and what inputs does it provide?
    >
    >>I know the video cable still needs to go to the tv.
    >>Or, is there a way to use both? I'd like both if possible. How could
    >>I do that?
    >>

    >The only advantage to running the video through the typical lower cost
    >A/V receiver is convenience switching of the same type of video
    >sources. For example, if you run the composite video and analog audio
    >from the DVD player and the VCR through the receiver, and the monitor
    >out to the TV, then you can switch the audio and video at the same
    >time with the receiver remote.
    >
    >If the receiver doesn't have video switching or you only want to run
    >one source through it, don't bother.
    >
    >>I'm using the standard RCA type cables, since that is all
    >>my tv takes. Currently I have the yellow video and red & white audio
    >>going to AUX 2 on the tv, and the same colored wires from my VCR going
    >>to AUX 1 on the tv. There are no other connectors on the tv except
    >>the usual antenna/cable inputs.
    >>
    >>I imagine to use both, I need some sort of "Y" adaptor, is that
    >>correct? Is that something I can buy? Where?
    >>

    >Yes, if you want to hook up the analog audio from a source to both the
    >TV and the receiver you can with y-jacks or a switch box. Radio
    >Shack, for one, sells both.
    >
    >If the receiver has a digital audio input, then use that for the DVD
    >player. Given you said it was only a 'stereo', it likely isn't an A/V
    >receiver with a digital audio input and only has analog L/R (white and
    >red RCA (AKA phono) plugs) inputs. The analog audio out from the DVD
    >player is a line level out and can be plugged into any line level
    >input, such as AUX, Tape, VCR, or CD, but not a phono (turntable)
    >input.
    >
    >Gary E

    The stereo is from the 60's. One of those old and well made systems
    that has lots of power. But it dont have any video inputs.

    Thanks for all the help.
    Jeepwolf, Dec 13, 2007
  6. Jeepwolf

    Wally Guest

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:49:07 -0600, Jeepwolf <> wrote:

    >The stereo is from the 60's. One of those old and well made systems
    >that has lots of power. But it dont have any video inputs.
    >
    >Thanks for all the help.

    I have a Sansui 5000A that I bought in 1969.

    I put two "Y" cords out of the DVD player. One set to the TV and one
    set to the stereo.

    I can use the TV, the stereo, or both and set the volume independently
    on each.

    Works great.

    You need an audio input on your stereo, of course and a switch to switch
    to that input.
    Wally, Dec 14, 2007