    found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
    real good go at it yet.

    http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

    Dogg, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Dogg

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <> wrote:

    >HI all,
    >
    >I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
    >a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
    >Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
    >has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
    >found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
    >real good go at it yet.
    >
    >http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

    Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
    DSE have these
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f9445ae1093a4b4273fc0a87f99078b/Product/View/XH7975

    which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

    Bret, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <> wrote:
    >
    >>HI all,
    >>
    >>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
    >>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
    >>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
    >>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
    >>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
    >>real good go at it yet.
    >>
    >>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

    >Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
    >DSE have these
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f9445ae1093a4b4273fc0a87f99078b/Product/View/XH7975
    >
    >which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

    This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
    done but something aint happening...

    Basically, at any given time, I've got a bunch of P4 machines sitting
    around here doing nothing that have built in Intel cards that I just
    wanna plug in, stick in the floppy and leave running for as long as
    possible :). If I had to stick another card in every time, it would be
    just as easy to copy the seti folder across and run it from the
    command prompt (which I've been doing).

    Dogg, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Dogg

    harry Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>HI all,
    > >>
    > >>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
    > >>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
    > >>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
    > >>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
    > >>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
    > >>real good go at it yet.
    > >>
    > >>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

    > >Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
    > >DSE have these

    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f9445ae1093a4b4273fc0a87f99078

    b/Product/View/XH7975

    > >which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

    > This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
    > done but something aint happening...
    >
    > Basically, at any given time, I've got a bunch of P4 machines sitting
    > around here doing nothing that have built in Intel cards that I just
    > wanna plug in, stick in the floppy and leave running for as long as
    > possible :). If I had to stick another card in every time, it would be
    > just as easy to copy the seti folder across and run it from the
    > command prompt (which I've been doing).

    Have you declared the new module in /etc/modules.conf ?

    harry, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:36:32 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Have you declared the new module in /etc/modules.conf ?

    Yeah..that's where I got confused. Where do I put it and what is the
    syntax? It's something like insmod [mount] [dir] /$e100.o $args...?
    I'm guessing [dir] is lib/modules but what's the mount? dev/fd0?

    Excuse my complete lack of Linux knowledge!

    Dogg, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Dogg

    harry Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:36:32 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > >
    > >Have you declared the new module in /etc/modules.conf ?
    > >

    > Yeah..that's where I got confused. Where do I put it and what is the
    > syntax? It's something like insmod [mount] [dir] /$e100.o $args...?
    > I'm guessing [dir] is lib/modules but what's the mount? dev/fd0?
    >
    > Excuse my complete lack of Linux knowledge!

    From the link you provided, it looks like the disk is the Dachstein LEAF
    distro normally used as a floppy router
    This link has the instructions for adding modules
    http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/diskimages/dachstein/readme.txt
    If you use the lrcfg menu, you can navigate to /etc/modules and just add the
    name of the module to the text string so that it gets loaded at boot time.
    You then need to save the configuration from the menu.
    You can also edit /etc/modules directly.
    This article also has a description
    http://www.trevormarshall.com/byte_articles/byte20.htm

    harry, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    Aaarrgghh! Where does it mention this on the Seti@Home page?

    Dogg, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:07:08 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    Okay,....I actually went and had a look. It's a pain they can't just
    transfer everyone's stats...

    Dogg, Oct 21, 2003
  9. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:57:02 +1300, Dogg <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:07:08 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
    >wrote:
    >

    ><snip>
    >
    >Okay,....I actually went and had a look. It's a pain they can't just
    >transfer everyone's stats...

    Okay.....I read the whole thing this time...disregard all previous
    posts.

    Dogg, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Dogg

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
    > the new client and we can keep the group running.

    When will the new client be available? any ideas...

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  11. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:08:31 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" wrote
    >> I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
    >> the new client and we can keep the group running.

    >When will the new client be available? any ideas...

    You can download it here.

    http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/download.php

    Dogg, Oct 21, 2003
  12. Dogg

    steve Guest

    Dogg allegedly said:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>HI all,
    >>>
    >>>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
    >>>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
    >>>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
    >>>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
    >>>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
    >>>real good go at it yet.
    >>>
    >>>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

    >>Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
    >>DSE have these
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f9445ae1093a4b4273fc0a87f99078b/Product/View/XH7975
    >>
    >>which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

    > This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
    > done but something aint happening...

    Have you loaded the module?

    See if it is loaded: (lsmod)

    If it isn't, load it:

    insmod e100.o

    If it IS loaded, the you may need to do an 'ifconfig eth0' to see what state
    it is in.

    Sometimes you need to tell the interface to come up - it won't start it by
    default (a good thing in a firewall that isn't yet configured.....)

    Usually something like:

    /sbin/ifconfig up (as root)

    ....will do the trick.

    --
    defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
    operating system.

    steve, Oct 21, 2003
  13. Dogg

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ allegedly said:

    > I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
    > the new client and we can keep the group running.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I will.

    I just hope they don't can the old count before I reach 25,000 WUs. That
    will be in about 4 weeks and 1 or 2 days from today.

    I do about 36-38 WUs / day || 265-270ish / week....and I'm on 23,873 as of
    this morning.

    I'm going to frame that Certificate and hang it on the wall....after 4.5
    years.

    :)

    steve, Oct 21, 2003
  14. Dogg

    steve Guest

    BOINC Transition Plan Re: Running SETI from a floppy

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > "~misfit~" wrote
    >> I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
    >> the new client and we can keep the group running.

    > When will the new client be available? any ideas...

    It's currently in beta. They said they don't need any more beta-testers, so
    it can't be far off.......

    People with existing accounts will have a BOINC account created for them.

    # Create an account using the SETI@home web site. This will give you an
    account ID, sent by email. Note: accounts will created automatically for
    all current SETI@home users (see below).

    Transition plan is here:

    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/boinc_transition_plan.html

    steve, Oct 21, 2003
  15. Dogg

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote
    > I just hope they don't can the old count before I reach 25,000 WUs. That
    > will be in about 4 weeks and 1 or 2 days from today.
    > I do about 36-38 WUs / day || 265-270ish / week....and I'm on 23,873 as of
    > this morning.

    heh, I was thinking the same about me... except my target is 1800, at ~15 a
    day, Im still off by 23 days...

    Another thing I want to get is above 97% in the "you have completed more
    workunits than" bit...

    Im currently at 96.926%
    I figure the top 3% must be fairly up there, so I want to join them.

    I would have also liked to have given a year of CPU time aswell... only
    400hrs(~17 days) to go on that one, so I could make it.
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=&cmd=user_stats_new

    How many machines are you using Steve?

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  16. Dogg

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > heh, I was thinking the same about me... except my target is 1800, at ~15
    > a day, Im still off by 23 days...

    A week less than me. :)

    > Another thing I want to get is above 97% in the "you have completed more
    > workunits than" bit...
    >
    > Im currently at 96.926%
    > I figure the top 3% must be fairly up there, so I want to join them.

    I'm *almost* in the top 0.075%... :)

    This is me as of right now (23:48 Tuesday night)
    Your rank out of 4720404 total users is: 3598th place.
    The number of users who have this rank: 1
    You have completed more work units than 99.924% of our users.
    > I would have also liked to have given a year of CPU time aswell... only
    > 400hrs(~17 days) to go on that one, so I could make it.

    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=&cmd=user_stats_new

    Uh-oh.....get ready for SPAM at your hotmail address. :)

    > How many machines are you using Steve?

    I've got about 12 PCs on the job at the mo' with a Duron 1000 CPU gathering
    dust on the shelf. That did about 4 WUs/day and I'll evenually replace the
    PII-350 with it when I get a new AMD mobo.

    PII-350 - Linux
    PIII-450 - Linux
    Celeron 600 - Linux
    PIII-500 - Linux
    PIII-600EB - Linux
    PIII-750 (laptop) - Win98SE
    PIII-866 - Linux (Fedora Core - beta 3)
    AMD 1200+ (800MHz) - Win98SE
    AMD 1.4GHz - WinME
    AMD 2000+ (1.67GHz) - Linux
    2 x AMD 2200+ (1.866GHz) - Linux on both.

    steve, Oct 21, 2003
  17. Dogg

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > How many machines are you using Steve?

    From the list in my other post, you see why I can't afford Windows.

    12 copies of WinXP at $300 each is $3,600...which in theory I'm not legally
    entitled to do because I don't have 12 copies of an earlier Windows.

    So at 12 times $600 each (full price?), Windows would cost me over
    $7,000....to run legally....while Linux is free or close to it (I tend to
    buy CDs saves time).

    Home users with several PCs can't afford to run Windows legally unless they
    only buy built-up systems.....

    Linux lets me be legal....and less poor. :)

    steve, Oct 21, 2003
  18. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
    > operating system.

    And here was me labouring under the impression that to 'defenestrate' was to
    throw someone out of a window.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 21, 2003
  19. Dogg

    T.N.O. Guest

    "steve" wrote >
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=&cmd=user_stats_new

    > Uh-oh.....get ready for SPAM at your hotmail address. :)

    I dont use it any more, Seti is the last thing I have "attached" to that
    email addy.

    > > How many machines are you using Steve?

    > I've got about 12 PCs on the job at the mo' with a Duron 1000 CPU

    gathering
    > dust on the shelf. That did about 4 WUs/day and I'll evenually replace the
    > PII-350 with it when I get a new AMD mobo.

    > PII-350 - Linux
    > PIII-450 - Linux
    > Celeron 600 - Linux
    > PIII-500 - Linux
    > PIII-600EB - Linux
    > PIII-750 (laptop) - Win98SE
    > PIII-866 - Linux (Fedora Core - beta 3)
    > AMD 1200+ (800MHz) - Win98SE
    > AMD 1.4GHz - WinME
    > AMD 2000+ (1.67GHz) - Linux
    > 2 x AMD 2200+ (1.866GHz) - Linux on both.

    Tell me that some of these are work related...

    T.N.O., Oct 21, 2003
  20. Dogg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Oct 21, 2003