    Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
    makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.

    Cammie

    Cammie, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Cammie

    Plato Guest

    Cammie wrote:

    > I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every other
    > month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.
    >
    > Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
    > makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.

    Actually it's a nice strategy.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Cammie

    colin Guest

    Cammie <> wrote in message
    > I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every other
    > month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.
    >
    > Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
    > makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.
    >
    > Cammie

    That`s a very good routine to have; but additionally clear out any unwanted
    files such as internet cache and temp files that accumulate, prior to
    scandisk and defragging; and also keep a regular backup image of your entire
    system drive.

    colin, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Cammie

    Cammie Guest

    "colin" <> wrote in message

    > Cammie <> wrote in message
    > > I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every

    other
    > > month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.
    > >
    > > Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
    > > makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.
    > >
    > > Cammie
    > >

    > That`s a very good routine to have; but additionally clear out any

    unwanted
    > files such as internet cache and temp files that accumulate, prior to
    > scandisk and defragging; and also keep a regular backup image of your

    entire
    > system drive.

    Every day I clean the cache and temp files. I have a program that came with
    my Dell canned Snapshot, takes a picture of your hard drive, if you have any
    problems or lose a file, you can restore your computer to the last snapshot
    you took or even restore it to factory.

    Cammie, Feb 10, 2004