    GB Ram available and someone told me that Win XP can only addr. max. 2GB per
    task.

    So what do you think, is the solution for my problem 64-bit Vista?
    =?Utf-8?B?V2luVmllbm5h?=, Feb 15, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2luVmllbm5h?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    To use the full 4 GB, you'll need to be running a 64-bit version of Windows
    and your board will need to support some kind of memory address remapping
    (since some addresses in the 3-4GB range are reserved for other uses, which
    is why you can't see the fulll 4 GB in a 32-bit version of Windows).

    If Photoshop is large address aware, then it will get a full 4 GB address
    space in a 64-bit version of Windows.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Feb 15, 2007

  3. I am running Photoshop with 4Gb of RAM on WinXP x64 and it runs fine.
    However I am told (by one of the Photoshop engineers) that PS really takes
    off on Vistax64 when running with 6 or 8Gb of RAM. Vistax64 runs a little
    slower than WinXP x64 (same system - dual boot), I estimate an average od
    around 5% slower.

    The problem with Vista x64 is that I cannot profile my monitor as the
    software does not run correctly or cannot be installed (I have a Monaco Optix
    running Spectraview software and an Eye One Display 2 running the
    Gretag-Macbeth software). Gretag-Macbeth are hoping to release their Vista
    x64 compatible software within a couple of months and without it, I cannot
    upgrade as it is an absolute necessity that my monitor is accurately
    profiled. A colour managed workflow is absolutely vital for me.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Feb 15, 2007
  4. mhm, so what can you guys recommend me? I'm using my pc for graphic stuff
    like photoshop (very big hdr-panorama pics), silverfast (scan software), a
    few film editing programms and from time to time some games. I also use
    proprietary colour management tools for my lcd (quato), scanner (nikon,
    mikrotek) and so on.

    would it be to complicated using a 64 bit system because there are too less
    drivers available?

    thanks for your awnsers, but please keep them simple ; )

    =?Utf-8?B?V2luVmllbm5h?=, Feb 15, 2007
  5. Visit the web sites of peripherals which are very important for your work
    (scanners, pucks, etc) and see if they have 64-bit drivers and software which
    will work for the 64-bit version of Vista. If they have them available, then
    fine, it will be possible for you to upgrade and get the most out of your 4Gb
    of RAM. If they don't have the drivers/compatible software then wait until
    they become available - email them and make it known to them that you are
    disappointed that they haven't supplied drivers/compatible software yet. If
    nobody notifies them of their desire for 64-bit drivers/software they won't
    make the necessary investment in getting them written.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Feb 16, 2007
  6. Okay, thank you very much. But in case I decide to use 64bit Vista, which
    version do you think would fit best for me?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2luVmllbm5h?=, Feb 16, 2007
  7. Only you can answer that one after studying what each version offers in
    relation to your specific needs.

    Once Gretag-Macbeth finally release their 64-bit Vista upgrade, I personally
    will have Ultimate on my main workstation, either Home Premium or Business
    edition on the studio computer, I will have Home Premium on the laptop (I
    qualify for a free upgrade) and I will still continue with Win XP on the 2nd
    office system so that I can still run legacy software such as my accounts etc.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Feb 17, 2007