Running Paradox 4.0 in Win ME

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob L, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Bob L

    Bob L Guest

    Unfortunately, my wife has to run the DOS based Paradox 4.0 to update and
    use an old DB that her company uses. They still haven't migrated this
    particular DB to a WIN based program. I have been able to install the
    program in both a Win 95 and a Win 98SE computer so she can work from home.
    The only changes I had to do were to create a batch file of the type--
    cd\pdox40
    set dpmimem=maxmem 16000
    paradox
    cd\windows
    exit

    Trying to do the same install and run the batch in a Win ME computer I get
    the error message in the DOS window
    Unexpected condition: GP 0000AT PARADOX:28:12d7 --Leaving Paradox

    Any thoughts about what I should try??

    I thought that Win ME was similar Win 98SE but I can't figure what to next
    other than hope that her employer's IT group will finally complete the
    change over from Paradox to Access

    Bob L, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Bob L

    °Mike° Guest

    Paradox Community - FAQPdoxDOSText Full FAQ 2001.02.05
    http://www.thedbcommunity.com/faq/22.htm

    Q: I can't run PDOXDOS! I get "Unexpected condition:
    GP 0000 AT PARADOX:28:1323 -- Leaving Paradox"

    A: Too much RAM. Add -extk 16000 to the command-line.
    See [3.1]

    3.1 I can't run PDOXDOS! I get Unexpected condition:
    GP 0000 AT PARADOX:28:1323 -- Leaving Paradox
    ------------------------

    Paradox, as a DOS program, uses a "286 extender" which
    allows to address up to 16 Megs of memory. If you have
    more than that, the program thinks there's a problem with
    your machine and quits. You can force Paradox to use ONLY
    16 Megs of RAM by adding

    -extk 16000

    to the command-line. That should allow it to run.

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:37:58 -0500, in
    <>
    Bob L scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Bob L

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Bob L wrote:

    > Unfortunately, my wife has to run the DOS based Paradox 4.0 to update and
    > use an old DB that her company uses. They still haven't migrated this
    > particular DB to a WIN based program. I have been able to install the
    > program in both a Win 95 and a Win 98SE computer so she can work from home.
    > The only changes I had to do were to create a batch file of the type--
    > cd\pdox40
    > set dpmimem=maxmem 16000
    > paradox
    > cd\windows
    > exit
    >
    > Trying to do the same install and run the batch in a Win ME computer I get
    > the error message in the DOS window
    > Unexpected condition: GP 0000AT PARADOX:28:12d7 --Leaving Paradox
    >
    > Any thoughts about what I should try??
    >
    > I thought that Win ME was similar Win 98SE but I can't figure what to next
    > other than hope that her employer's IT group will finally complete the
    > change over from Paradox to Access

    FWIW, about the best Windows systems to run a DOS-based program
    would be Windows NT and Windows 2000. The reason is the stability of
    NTVDM, or the virtual DOS machine. Next would be Win98SE over
    Win95.

    Mistoffolees, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Bob L

    Bob L Guest

    Thank you, Mike!! I went to the site and followed the instructions.
    PDOXDOS 4.0 works on the Win ME system.

    Now my wife will gaze admiringly at me for the next 2 minutes until I'm
    reminded of something else that I've screwed up.

    Bob L, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Bob L

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:25:51 -0500, in
    <>
    Bob L scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Bob L

    fkasner Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > Paradox Community - FAQPdoxDOSText Full FAQ 2001.02.05
    > http://www.thedbcommunity.com/faq/22.htm
    >
    > Q: I can't run PDOXDOS! I get "Unexpected condition:
    > GP 0000 AT PARADOX:28:1323 -- Leaving Paradox"
    >
    > A: Too much RAM. Add -extk 16000 to the command-line.
    > See [3.1]
    >

    > 3.1 I can't run PDOXDOS! I get Unexpected condition:
    > GP 0000 AT PARADOX:28:1323 -- Leaving Paradox
    > ------------------------
    >
    > Paradox, as a DOS program, uses a "286 extender" which
    > allows to address up to 16 Megs of memory. If you have
    > more than that, the program thinks there's a problem with
    > your machine and quits. You can force Paradox to use ONLY
    > 16 Megs of RAM by adding
    >
    > -extk 16000
    >
    > to the command-line. That should allow it to run.
    >

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:37:58 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Bob L scrawled:
    >

    >>Unfortunately, my wife has to run the DOS based Paradox 4.0 to update and
    >>use an old DB that her company uses. They still haven't migrated this
    >>particular DB to a WIN based program. I have been able to install the
    >>program in both a Win 95 and a Win 98SE computer so she can work from home.
    >>The only changes I had to do were to create a batch file of the type--
    >>cd\pdox40
    >>set dpmimem=maxmem 16000
    >>paradox
    >>cd\windows
    >>exit
    >>
    >>Trying to do the same install and run the batch in a Win ME computer Iget
    >>the error message in the DOS window
    >>Unexpected condition: GP 0000AT PARADOX:28:12d7 --Leaving Paradox
    >>
    >>Any thoughts about what I should try??
    >>
    >>I thought that Win ME was similar Win 98SE but I can't figure what to next
    >>other than hope that her employer's IT group will finally complete the
    >>change over from Paradox to Access

    I have to take exception to this claim about the memory constraints of
    Paradox 4 and the Windows ME OS. I run on rare occasion Paradox 4 as
    well as the runtime version Pdoxrun4 on a database I created in DOS back
    in 1990. I have a computer that is a windows 95 and a computer that is a
    windows ME and both of them run Paradox two versions without a hitch.
    And there is no attempt to limit memory access (the ME machine has 512
    MB of memory) when those programs run. I merely open a DOS box and run
    them. ME no longer (unless you do some considerable patching) runs a
    bootup DOS as did Windows 95.

    Interesting enough what I can't get running on this ME machine in a DOS
    box is Foxbase. It keeps claiming there isn't enough environment space.
    Booting up with instructions to increase environment space in the
    config.sys avails nothing. However the less convenient, although
    otherwise improved, Foxpro 2.5 runs properly with no problems.

    This is no figment of my imagination. I just this day ran both versions
    of my database that runs on Paradox. They definitely run on this ME machine.
    FK

    fkasner, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Bob L

    Mellowed Guest

    I can't help but be impressed with this knowledge of Paradox. I gave up a
    couple years ago and imported my files to ACCESS. Although they are now
    obsolete, I'll probably try to clear the cobwebs and try the 16M limitation
    as an exercise.

    :
    : Q: I can't run PDOXDOS! I get "Unexpected condition:
    : GP 0000 AT PARADOX:28:1323 -- Leaving Paradox"
    :
    : A: Too much RAM. Add -extk 16000 to the command-line.
    : See [3.1]
    :
    :
    : ------------------------
    :
    : Paradox, as a DOS program, uses a "286 extender" which
    : allows to address up to 16 Megs of memory. If you have
    : more than that, the program thinks there's a problem with
    : your machine and quits. You can force Paradox to use ONLY
    : 16 Megs of RAM by adding
    :
    : -extk 16000
    :
    : to the command-line. That should allow it to run.
    :
    :
    : On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:37:58 -0500, in
    : <>
    : Bob L scrawled:
    :
    : >Unfortunately, my wife has to run the DOS based Paradox 4.0 to update and
    : >use an old DB that her company uses. They still haven't migrated this
    : >particular DB to a WIN based program. I have been able to install the
    : >program in both a Win 95 and a Win 98SE computer so she can work from
    home.
    : >The only changes I had to do were to create a batch file of the type--
    : >cd\pdox40
    : >set dpmimem=maxmem 16000
    : >paradox
    : >cd\windows
    : >exit
    : >
    : >Trying to do the same install and run the batch in a Win ME computer I
    get
    : >the error message in the DOS window
    : >Unexpected condition: GP 0000AT PARADOX:28:12d7 --Leaving Paradox
    : >
    : >Any thoughts about what I should try??
    : >
    : >I thought that Win ME was similar Win 98SE but I can't figure what to
    next
    : >other than hope that her employer's IT group will finally complete the
    : >change over from Paradox to Access
    : >
    : >
    :
    : --
    : Basic computer maintenance
    : http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    Mellowed, Sep 1, 2003
  8. Bob L

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 03:56:57 GMT, in
    <dsz4b.17556$>
    fkasner scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> Paradox Community - FAQPdoxDOSText Full FAQ 2001.02.05
    >> http://www.thedbcommunity.com/faq/22.htm

    <snip>

    >I have to take exception to this claim about the memory constraints of
    >Paradox 4 and the Windows ME OS. I run on rare occasion Paradox 4 as
    >well as the runtime version Pdoxrun4 on a database I created in DOS back
    >in 1990. I have a computer that is a windows 95 and a computer that is a
    >windows ME and both of them run Paradox two versions without a hitch.
    >And there is no attempt to limit memory access (the ME machine has 512
    >MB of memory) when those programs run. I merely open a DOS box and run
    >them. ME no longer (unless you do some considerable patching) runs a
    >bootup DOS as did Windows 95.
    >
    >Interesting enough what I can't get running on this ME machine in a DOS
    >box is Foxbase. It keeps claiming there isn't enough environment space.
    >Booting up with instructions to increase environment space in the
    >config.sys avails nothing. However the less convenient, although
    >otherwise improved, Foxpro 2.5 runs properly with no problems.
    >
    >This is no figment of my imagination. I just this day ran both versions
    >of my database that runs on Paradox. They definitely run on this ME machine.
    >FK

    That's as may be, but you should take it up with the DB community
    web page, not me.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 1, 2003
  9. Bob L

    karim

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Paradox and arabic problem

    Hi All ,
    i have aproblem with Paradox and arabic ,
    i have a paradox file from the client that contain arabic data ,
    and when i open it on my PC (Win XP Sp2) the arabic appear like garbage (like that %^#*##@) , and i dont know what can i do how i read the data correctly

    , is it something related by the code page or what i dont know.

    i hope someone help me soon

    Best wishes
    Maylo

    karim, Aug 12, 2007