    disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?
    Goodwill,
    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Mar 9, 2009

  2. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 00:02:06 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    >I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro SP2
    >operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I run
    >programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running out of
    >disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?

    So what is saying that you are running out of disk space? XP? Some
    other program? What is the exact wording of the message?

    It's also unclear - is 15 GB free or 15 GB the total size of the C
    partition?

    Evan Platt, Mar 9, 2009

  3. The Stone Crusher wrote:

    > I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro
    > SP2
    > operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I
    > run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running
    > out of
    > disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    That question, according to Dan C, should be answered with
    "immeadiately _partition_ and reformat your harddisk".

    Who is sending the message (window title) if you can't link the message to
    that top secret program you run at that time?
    What is the output of "env >env.txt" and pasting the content of "env.txt"
    into a message here?
    What are the mentioned 15 GB - remaining free space on C: or total?
    (Obviously the former would be of bigger interest to us)
    What do you see in event viewer?
    Any other consequences of the message?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 9, 2009
  4. The Stone Crusher

    John Holmes Guest

    The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
    > Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and
    > data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
    > I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
    > bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
    > Luke

    If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
    c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
    2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 9, 2009
  5. The Stone Crusher

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
    >> Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and
    >> data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
    >> I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
    >> bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
    >> Luke
    >>

    > If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
    > c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
    > 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

    Unless of course you are using a laptop and want to take files with you
    and have all the changes synced automatically.

    Oh look, the OP is using a laptop!

    And offline files is not enabled by default either.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 9, 2009
  6. "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote in message
    >I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro
    >SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I
    >run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running
    >out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could
    >it be?

    What could it be? You're kidding right? It could be almost anything! Just
    for openers, do a search of your entire C: drive for "*.log" and you'll
    begin to get an inkling. When was the last time you cleared events from your
    event viewer? How about your MRU and MUI caches? etc, etc, etc

    J¡m ßéâñ, Mar 9, 2009
  7. The Stone Crusher

    John Holmes Guest

    Desk Rabbit "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
    >>> Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs

    and
    >>> data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
    >>> I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
    >>> bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
    >>> Luke
    >>>

    >> If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
    >> c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
    >> 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

    > Unless of course you are using a laptop and want to take files with you
    > and have all the changes synced automatically.
    >
    > Oh look, the OP is using a laptop!
    >
    > And offline files is not enabled by default either.

    By default, "offline files" is enabled on Windows 2000 Professional and
    Windows XP Professional. I wasn't talking about your XP home or Vista
    Basic OS's. If the OP has W2KPRO or XPPRO, offline files are enabled, and
    if the poor sod is on a network his HD will be filled with useless
    offline files. Those useless files are stored in the c:\windows\csc
    folder.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 9, 2009
  8. The Stone Crusher

    Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote:

    >I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro SP2
    >operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I run
    >programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running out of
    >disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?

    Crash a lot it could be .DMP files.

    I use treesize to view my disk consumption.
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

    --

    www.coffeeandcigarettes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/thefuture1.jpg

    , Mar 9, 2009
  9. The Stone Crusher

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > Desk Rabbit "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes wrote:
    >>> The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > and
    >>>>

    >>> If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
    >>> c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
    >>> 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

    >> Unless of course you are using a laptop and want to take files with you
    >> and have all the changes synced automatically.
    >>
    >> Oh look, the OP is using a laptop!
    >>
    >> And offline files is not enabled by default either.
    >>

    > By default, "offline files" is enabled on Windows 2000 Professional and
    > Windows XP Professional. I wasn't talking about your XP home or Vista
    > Basic OS's.

    FX: Looks at fresh install of XP Pro.

    Nope, offline files is not enabled

    > If the OP has W2KPRO or XPPRO, offline files are enabled, and
    > if the poor sod is on a network his HD will be filled with useless
    > offline files. Those useless files are stored in the c:\windows\csc
    > folder.

    Spoken by a person who has obviously never used offline files in a
    business environment for their intended purpose

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 10, 2009
  10. Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > John Holmes wrote:

    >> By default, "offline files" is enabled on Windows 2000 Professional and
    >> Windows XP Professional. I wasn't talking about your XP home or Vista
    >> Basic OS's.

    > FX: Looks at fresh install of XP Pro.
    >
    > Nope, offline files is not enabled
    >
    >> If the OP has W2KPRO or XPPRO, offline files are enabled, and
    >> if the poor sod is on a network his HD will be filled with useless
    >> offline files. Those useless files are stored in the c:\windows\csc
    >> folder.

    > Spoken by a person who has obviously never used offline files in a
    > business environment for their intended purpose

    Every other day we have sh*%tload of problems with offline files at
    w0rkplace, using a samba pdc and mostly xp clients.
    We don't want them, have all the settings disabled and populated by policy,
    but often when we deploy a new pc, due to some mysterios network flaw or
    whatever, there is this offline symbol and user sees only half (if at all)
    of his folders in the redirected home share. Logon script doesn't run, as
    well, and, probably because of disabled offline user settings, even sync
    doesn't work.
    On the samba server, "csc policy" is turned to manual or off, but that
    doesn't do anything either.
    The only remedy is to start as local admin in safe mode with cmd, and then
    delete the offline (csc) folder which already holds a truckload of sh§$%t.
    Replacing the csc folder with a file with the same name (and setting
    system/hidden/readonly attributes like for the folder) as well as
    deregistering/renaming mobsync.dll and mobsync.exe may help prevent that
    occuring again.
    Our pc's are not imaged, just setup unattended, and we certainly do not want
    to deliberately enable offline files.
    There *may* be some network or samba server flaw causing this problem, but
    we were not able to find out till now. It does not happen every time
    but ... well, just again yesterday :)

    For laptops, we would like to be able to use offline files - but it doesn't
    work with our multi location setup. Accessing the homeshare on another
    branch office, with another (local) domain server - though the files are
    replicated across locations or mounted - will not work because of the
    different ip address/dns name of the server, keeping the client "offline".

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 11, 2009