    run.

    Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    system?

    Glory, Dec 8, 2009

  2. Glory

    El.Plates Guest

    "Glory" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
    > am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
    > run.
    >
    > Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    > system?

    He you go take a look here
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Running old DOS program on 64 bit Windows 7

    El.Plates, Dec 8, 2009

  3. Glory

    Glory Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 09:26:24 -0500, Glory <> wrote:

    >I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
    >am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
    >run.
    >
    >Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    >system?

    Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
    would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
    similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
    results.

    And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

    Glory, Dec 8, 2009
  4. Evan Platt expressed the following thoughts on 12/8/2009 11:52 PM:
    > On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:17:11 -0500, Glory<> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
    >> would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
    >> similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
    >> results.

    > Who suggested google?
    >
    > Grinder suggested DosBox. I've used that before and it works great.
    > Try it.
    >
    >> And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

    > From Microsoft:
    >
    > 1. Use Windows Explorer to open the folder that contains the
    > program's executable (.exe) file.
    > 2. Right-click the .exe file, and then click Properties.
    > 3. A 16-bit program does not have a Version tab in this dialog box.

    DOS programs were 32 bit? Ever?

    --
    Diabolic Preacher
    As Is

    Diabolic Preacher, Dec 8, 2009
  5. Glory

    PeeCee Guest

    "Glory" <> wrote in message
    >I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
    > am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
    > run.
    >
    > Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    > system?

    Glory

    If you have Windows 7 "Pro" or "Ulitmate" you can download the free
    Microsoft 'XP Mode' virutal PC.
    Basically if it can be made to run on an XP PC then it should run in the XP
    Mode on a Windows 7/64bit PC.

    Though I haven't run any 16 bit DOS programs per see, I have installed and
    run an old accounting program that started life as a DOS program and was
    warmed over for Windows 98.
    AFAIK the accounting program stayed 16 bit all the way through so there is a
    good chance any 16 bit DOS program will run in XP Mode.

    Alternatively if you have Home Premium (which won't install the Microsoft XP
    Mode) you could look at the other virtual PC's that others have pointed to.
    Just create the virtual machine and install a copy of DOS as the OS and you
    should be good to go.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 8, 2009
  6. Glory

    Glory Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:22:36 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:17:11 -0500, Glory <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
    >>would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
    >>similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
    >>results.

    >Who suggested google?
    >
    >Grinder suggested DosBox. I've used that before and it works great.
    >Try it.
    >
    >>And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

    >From Microsoft:
    >
    > 1. Use Windows Explorer to open the folder that contains the
    >program's executable (.exe) file.
    > 2. Right-click the .exe file, and then click Properties.
    > 3. A 16-bit program does not have a Version tab in this dialog box.

    Thanks!

    Glory, Dec 14, 2009
  7. Glory

    Glory Guest

    On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:55:26 +1300, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Glory" <> wrote in message
    >>I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
    >> am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
    >> run.
    >>
    >> Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    >> system?

    >Glory
    >
    >If you have Windows 7 "Pro" or "Ulitmate" you can download the free
    >Microsoft 'XP Mode' virutal PC.
    >Basically if it can be made to run on an XP PC then it should run in the XP
    >Mode on a Windows 7/64bit PC.
    >
    >Though I haven't run any 16 bit DOS programs per see, I have installed and
    >run an old accounting program that started life as a DOS program and was
    >warmed over for Windows 98.
    >AFAIK the accounting program stayed 16 bit all the way through so there is a
    >good chance any 16 bit DOS program will run in XP Mode.
    >
    >Alternatively if you have Home Premium (which won't install the Microsoft XP
    >Mode) you could look at the other virtual PC's that others have pointed to.
    >Just create the virtual machine and install a copy of DOS as the OS and you
    >should be good to go.
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    Yup, I have Home Premium unfortunately, so looks like I'll have to go
    the DosBox route. Thanks for your advice.

    Glory, Dec 14, 2009
  8. Glory

    Glory Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:12:15 -0600, Grinder <>
    wrote:

    >Glory wrote:
    >> I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
    >> am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
    >> run.
    >>
    >> Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
    >> system?

    >This can probably help:
    >http://www.dosbox.com/

    DosBox worked like a charm! I wish it had the ability to use
    "paste", but I suppose I can live with typing in a long command line
    once in awhile. Perhaps it recognizes .BAT files and can run them?
    That could help.

    Glory, Dec 15, 2009
  9. Glory

    Dosman

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I have found 2 problems with Dosbox

    1) Dosbox does not support file and record locking commands
    .... ( needed if you want to have a multi user user operation )

    2) Dosbox will not allow you to shell out to notepad or wordpad
    .... as normal CMD Dos does

    Does anyone know of a work around for problem #1 above?
    I have a work around for problem #2 ...not elegant but it works

    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    Dosman, Feb 16, 2010
  10. Glory

    ranleyf