    home?
    It was hard enough to run on 98, but seemingly impossible on XP
    TIA

    ÆnÎGmÃ, Jul 19, 2003

  2. ÆnÎGmÃ

    Ron Martell Guest

    "ÆnÎGmÃ" <> wrote:

    >Is there any way to get an old Dos game that requires EMS to run on Win XP
    >home?
    >It was hard enough to run on 98, but seemingly impossible on XP
    >TIA

    If it required a "restart in MS-DOS mode" in order to run under
    Windows 98 then it almost certainly will not be usable under XP.

    What is the name of the game in question? Someone may have developed
    a solution for that specific game in XP.

    The major problem is that in XP all applications are totally isolated
    from the hardware, and the applications *must* use operating system
    function calls.

    With DOS apps, especially games, programmers would sometimes have the
    app work directly with the hardware, bypassing the operating system
    functions. This could provide some modest performance benefits. With
    games this was most often done for video.

    A DOS app that uses these type of programming shortcuts cannot be made
    to work under Windows XP.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP