    mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...

    http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz

    Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    Benji Thorn, Feb 21, 2005

  2. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:07:21 +1300, Benji Thorn wrote:

    > Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
    > quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
    > my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
    > mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
    >
    > http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >
    > Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    heh if the admins are nasty they could have a software restriction policy
    enabled to prevent you running executables off your USB drive..

    wogers nemesis, Feb 21, 2005

  3. wogers nemesis said the following on 22/02/2005 1:01 a.m.:
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:07:21 +1300, Benji Thorn wrote:
    >

    >>Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
    >>quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
    >>my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
    >>mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
    >>
    >>http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >>
    >>Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    > heh if the admins are nasty they could have a software restriction policy
    > enabled to prevent you running executables off your USB drive..

    Quite you fool, I dont want them getting ideas
    They might find my workstation pluged into a hub directly after the
    server and before the main router then decide to check my USB key for
    ETHEREAL and/or machine/laptop.
    Dam some peoples passwords are a) easy b) funny

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Benji Thorn said the following on 22/02/2005 12:07 a.m.:
    > Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
    > quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
    > my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
    > mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
    >
    > http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >
    > Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    Good use of subdomains, I like what you have done here. When my
    associate gets back from Thailand he has for me a 512mb flash so I will
    be into this then. It makes a bit too much of a hole in my current drives.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Benji Thorn wrote:
    > Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
    > quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
    > my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
    > mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
    >
    > http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >
    > Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    Hmm, how come I can't see it ? My Firefox via Ihug keeps coming up
    connection refused. :-(

    Suggestions please ?

    Sounds like a great project.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Benji Thorn

    GJ Guest

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
    > Benji Thorn wrote:
    >
    >> Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
    >> quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email
    >> from my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other
    >> computers, mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and
    >> inbox etc...
    >>
    >> http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >>
    >> Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    > Hmm, how come I can't see it ? My Firefox via Ihug keeps coming up
    > connection refused. :-(
    >
    > Suggestions please ?
    >
    > Sounds like a great project.

    I had the same. Just kept on loading in both Firefox and IE. First time
    opening IE for over 3 weeks.

    On Paradise cable.

    GJ

    GJ, Feb 21, 2005
  7. Benji Thorn

    Benji Thorn Guest

    What about off of cdrom aswell? It will work from a udf packet formatted
    cdrw aswell :) hehehehehe

    Benji Thorn, Feb 21, 2005
  8. Benji Thorn

    Benji Thorn Guest

    I'm running Thunderbird from my 3 year old 128mb USB stick and I have
    about 400 emails from my gmail account in it plus about 3000 non binary
    newsgroups and my thunderbird folder is sitting at about 38mb. I compact
    the folders almost daily and non of my emails have big file attactments.
    A 512mb flash would be huge. I think my Firefox folder is only about 11mb.

    A word about Firefox and Macromedia though. You can not include their
    crappy software though, there licence does not allow it, has to be a
    seperate install.

    Although in reality it is a single file you can download and put in your
    extensions folder.

    ;-)

    Benji Thorn, Feb 21, 2005
  9. Benji Thorn

    Benji Thorn Guest

    Now I can't even ping myself, damn flatmates prob kncked over the router
    or something

    *grrrrrh noises*

    Sorry guys

    Will be back up this evening when I get home, I'll post a message on
    here when I get it going. I'll set a few mirrors up aswell.

    Oh and for those who are concered about limited write cycles on USB
    devices, most modern USB sticks are rated for up to a million writes per
    byte these days. There has been a few minor modifications of the
    Thunderbird and Firefox executables and profiles and everything else is
    set read only. Almost no writes other than those that are necessery
    (such as actually saving an email to your inbox or saving a bookmark
    etc) are performed.

    One word though, in Thunderbird you can't turn on the adaptive spam
    filter. Well ok you can, but it writes like mad and im paranoid about
    too many write cycles so I have it hard coded in the *.js file to be
    turned off.

    If you ever want to know just how much a program writes to the HD (or
    USB or whatever) bring up task manager and go to the process tab, then
    go to view | select columns and choose I/O writes and I/O writes bytes
    and you can see just how much is being written. Infact if you compare
    this one to a HD installed Thunderbird you will be presently surprised.

    :)

    Benji Thorn, Feb 21, 2005
  10. Benji Thorn wrote:
    > Now I can't even ping myself, damn flatmates prob kncked over the router
    > or something
    >
    > *grrrrrh noises*
    >
    > Sorry guys
    >
    > Will be back up this evening when I get home, I'll post a message on
    > here when I get it going. I'll set a few mirrors up aswell.

    Thanks mate, it DOES sound like an interesting project.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Feb 21, 2005
  11. Benji Thorn wrote:
    > I'm running Thunderbird from my 3 year old 128mb USB stick and I have
    > about 400 emails from my gmail account in it plus about 3000 non binary
    > newsgroups and my thunderbird folder is sitting at about 38mb. I compact
    > the folders almost daily and non of my emails have big file attactments.
    > A 512mb flash would be huge. I think my Firefox folder is only about 11mb.

    Personally I dont like the idea form a security perspective... sure it's
    convenient, but what say you drop it, then whoever picks it up has your
    emails for the last x amount of time, and given enough willingness,
    could probably grab your usernames and passwords from it.

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2005
  12. Benji Thorn wrote:
    > Now I can't even ping myself, damn flatmates prob kncked over the router
    > or something
    > *grrrrrh noises*
    > Sorry guys
    > Will be back up this evening when I get home, I'll post a message on
    > here when I get it going. I'll set a few mirrors up aswell.

    I could chuck it up on dave.net.nz if someone wants to email me the zip
    or something?

    Dave - dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2005
  13. Benji Thorn

    Benji Thorn Guest

    There are 3 zips, 32, 12 and 11mb but my mchine is offline at the mo
    :-( I'll send you a message when I get home :)

    I'm trying to make Linux and Windows Thunderbird & Firefox share the
    same folder at the moment and play nicely with each other aswell. It's
    not hard at all but the Linux version puts all these bizzare randomly
    named folders in your inbox, makes no sense.

    Benji Thorn, Feb 21, 2005
  14. Benji Thorn wrote:
    > There are 3 zips, 32, 12 and 11mb but my mchine is offline at the mo
    > :-( I'll send you a message when I get home :)

    heh, I was meaning someone who may have downloaded it could email it to
    me... I really should put a file repository online somewhere... meaning
    somewhere that others I know(with username/password), can dump stuff for
    others.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 21, 2005
  15. Benji Thorn said the following on 22/02/2005 10:54 a.m.:
    > I'm running Thunderbird from my 3 year old 128mb USB stick and I have
    > about 400 emails from my gmail account in it plus about 3000 non binary
    > newsgroups and my thunderbird folder is sitting at about 38mb. I compact
    > the folders almost daily and non of my emails have big file attactments.
    > A 512mb flash would be huge. I think my Firefox folder is only about 11mb.

    It's not the email that fills it up, its the MP3's :cool:

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 21, 2005
  16. Benji Thorn

    Benji Thorn Guest

    It is back up, sorry guys hehehe.

    If at least 1 person finds it useful then I will get that nice happy
    warm fuzzy useful glow feeling, aint the internet fun hehehe

    :)

    Benji Thorn, Feb 22, 2005
  17. Benji Thorn

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:35:21 +1300, Benji Thorn
    <> wrote:

    >It is back up, sorry guys hehehe.
    >
    >If at least 1 person finds it useful then I will get that nice happy
    >warm fuzzy useful glow feeling, aint the internet fun hehehe
    >
    >:)
    >
    >Benji Thorn wrote:
    >> Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
    >> quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
    >> my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
    >> mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
    >>
    >> http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >>
    >> Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    Mozilla is cranking. What's your ETA on VNC and Winamp?

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 23, 2005
  18. Benji Thorn

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Feb 23, 2005
  19. DoggNZ wrote:
    >>>http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
    >>>Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

    > Mozilla is cranking. What's your ETA on VNC and Winamp?

    VNC all you need is the exe file anyway

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 23, 2005
  20. Benji Thorn

    DoggNZ Guest