Running bad power supply with minimal load?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Does anyone know if it would be OK to run a power supply (AT, 300W) with
    minimal load? I'm meaning run it with something like just case fans on it?
    No motherboard...I plan to jumper (using a piece of wiring) the 2 wires
    (that green one & the one next to it?) as the on/off switch. I plan to use
    this as a temporary way to run just a few case fans off of (for room & also
    have thought of for animal caging).

    BTW: Has anyone ever thought of using an old AC to DC power adapter (from
    scanner/printer/phone charger, what ever) & as long as the voltage is right,
    run a case fan off of that (yeah you'd have to do some splicing of a plug &
    the power adapter's plug) for this as well (a much less bulky version)?

    There are 10 types of people in this world...
    ....those who understand binary & those who don't.

    Daniel, Sep 12, 2004