Running a computer as "user" vs "administrator" prevent adware from being installed

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by parabh_sleth, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. parabh_sleth

    parabh_sleth Guest

    parabh_sleth, Jun 21, 2005

  2. parabh_sleth

    Dazz Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 04:01:30 +0530, parabh_sleth
    <> wrote:

    >Will running a computer as a "user" vs "administrator" prevent adware
    >from
    >being installed?

    No, but it's a good start. :)

    Practising safe computing and using a bit of common sense will help
    though.

    Dazz

    Dazz, Jun 22, 2005

  3. parabh_sleth

    Wolf Halton Guest

    Re: Running a computer as "user" vs "administrator" prevent adwarefrom being installed

    Of course running a pc as administrator is a poor security choice, as
    administrator has access to everything in your operating system and a
    piece of malware running on administrator has all admin rights, too.

    You are much safer if you run a software firewall and learn to use it.
    Then, if a piece of software that you don't recognise attempts to access
    the network, you are warned and can say "deny".

    This protects you from laptops that are only occasionally plugged into
    your network, as even a perimeter firewall will not do.

    Wolf

    Wolf Halton, Jun 25, 2005