Running a 32 bit XP Pro on a 64 bit box.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. The driver issue usually comes up in connection with using XP Pro x64, not
    with using XP SP2 on a 64bit enabled system. There are no special
    considerations for running 32bit XP on a 64bit processor that I know of.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Colin Barnhorst

    Theo Guest

    With Win XP 32-bit you will use the exact same drivers you
    did with a 32-bit CPU. The 64-bit CPU will be running in
    the 32-bit mode and there should be absolutely no difference
    from what you're used to. You only need 64-bit driver when
    you install Win XP x64.

    Drivers are for the OS, not the CPU.

    Theo, Dec 20, 2006

  3. Colin Barnhorst

    Theo Guest

    If you adept at making boot CDs, you can download the SP2
    update file and slipstream it into you current edition. You
    have to copy the data file from the CD and extract the boot
    files with a utility.

    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    is only one of several that have information on slipstreaming.

    Theo, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Colin Barnhorst

    ChrisR Guest

    I'm probably going to buy a 64 bit box, but my copy of XP Pro is 32 bit.
    From what Ive read, I will need to download the motheboard/ chipset drivers.

    ChrisR, Dec 20, 2006
  5. Try AutoStreamer from:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=40bd2db5bd946fec6d29e120d250b247&showtopic=223562
    The download link is a little ways down the page.

    Use the network version of SP2 from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
    Use this version and NOT the version on Windows Update.

    Use the instructions from:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337
    and use your desktop for the work area.

    I find Autostreamer the easiest and surest method by far.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2006
  6. Colin Barnhorst

    ChrisR Guest

    Awesome! You guys just removed my last apprehension with buying this box,
    thanks!

    ChrisR, Dec 20, 2006
  7. Colin Barnhorst

    ChrisR Guest

    ChrisR, Dec 20, 2006
  8. Colin Barnhorst

    ChrisR Guest

    ChrisR, Dec 20, 2006
  9. Colin Barnhorst

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Note that you shouldn't *have* to do this, a plain XP install will work
    fine. It's just nice to have a SP2 disc.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 20, 2006
  10. It's more than just installing and then updating to SP2. Anytime you want
    to run the system file checker the service pack level has be the same on the
    cd as well as the hard drive. A slipstreamed cd is a pretty good idea.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2006
  11. Colin Barnhorst

    ChrisR Guest

    I'll care another crack at the slipstream, but it's nice to know JIC.

    Thanks!

    ChrisR, Dec 21, 2006