Running 64-bit Program on W2K3 Server R2 x64 with 12 GB RAM ... how much can I use?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by DragonWoman, May 30, 2006.

  1. DragonWoman

    DragonWoman Guest

    Hi all,

    So, I got intimately familiar with the whole 4 GB addressable memory
    limit in W2K3 Server. I've now got a server running x64 with a native
    64-bit program installed. I have 12 GB of physical RAM on this
    machine. I understand the 8 TB VM for processes and for kernel limits,
    but my question is this:

    With 12 GB physical RAM, how much can I allocate to my process and how
    much do I have to leave for the kernel? Can I allocate 10 GB to my
    process and leave 2 GB for the OS? Is there a rule of thumb for
    systems over 4 GB but less than 8 TB?

    Any info would be appreciated. I'm tired of searching and not finding.
    :)

    Thanks so much!

    DragonWoman, May 30, 2006

  2. DragonWoman

    DragonWoman Guest

    I should add that I'm talking about an Oracle database, so I want to
    specify the amounts of memory it's allowed to use and for what.
    Otherwise, I'd just let it run and figure it out on its own. :)

    DragonWoman, May 31, 2006

  3. Well, since the OS is running happily on regular, <4GB systems, I'd say
    going with a 10/2 mix would make sense. You will still have an 8TB of OS
    head room in virtual memory address space, so if you find yourself going too
    far into it, you can tweak things down the road.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 31, 2006
  4. DragonWoman

    DragonWoman Guest

    Thanks for the reply, Charlie.

    We're hoping to take advantage of the additional memory to allow for
    more database connections. The 3 GB limit really put a damper on how
    far our system could expand.

    I read in a Microsoft document that although you could squeeze the
    server OS down to 1 GB in the 32-bit scenario, it wasn't ideal for it.
    I think we can feel comfortable giving the kernel 2 GB with which to
    play for now, and leveraging the rest for more connections.

    Cheers!
    -D.

    DragonWoman, May 31, 2006
  5. Careful comparing apples and oranges. Yes, you can squeeze the 32-bit kernel
    down to 1GB of _virtual memory address space_. Doing so will constrain the
    I/O and other areas of the OS has definite drawbacks. But that is NOT what
    you'll be dealing with in x64. There, no matter how much RAM you have,
    you'll still have 8 TB of virtual memory address space available for the OS.
    RAM is not virtual memory address space.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 31, 2006