    another WOW shell to run 16 bit so I guess I am asking if the old WOW shell
    can be run on a 64 bit machine or if there is any other workaround that does
    not involve rewriting the software.
    Lorne, Jul 26, 2010

  2. Lorne

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 26/07/2010 in message <> Lorne wrote:

    >Is it possible to run 16 bit software on a 64 bit system?
    >
    >I know it has WOW64 to run 32 bit software and I think 32 bit Windows had
    >another WOW shell to run 16 bit so I guess I am asking if the old WOW
    >shell can be run on a 64 bit machine or if there is any other workaround
    >that does not involve rewriting the software.

    No. Even 32 bit s/w with a 16 bit installer.
    It could be run in a 32 bit virtual machine.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it
    Jeff Gaines, Jul 26, 2010

  3. Lorne

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    > Is it possible to run 16 bit software on a 64 bit system?

    Yes. Use DosBox ( http://www.dosbox.com/ ).

    I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
    own for Win64.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 26, 2010
  4. What software are you wanting to run? You can use a Virtual Machine to
    build older systems in such as MS-DOS, Win 3, 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT,
    2000, and XP.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 26, 2010
  5. Lorne

    Carlos Guest

    And/Or using the free of charge XP mode in Win 7 Ultimate.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 26, 2010
  6. Lorne

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <i2knm7$93t$-september.org> Lynn McGuire
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
    >own for Win64.

    1) Lack of demand.

    2) They did. Or rather, it's part of XP Mode which is included free on
    the business-targeted releases of Windows 7.
    Dave Warren, Jul 26, 2010
  7. Carlos wrote:
    > And/Or using the free of charge XP mode in Win 7 Ultimate.
    > :)
    > Carlos

    Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

    However - that is just a virtual machine - so still falls in the original
    answer scope.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    Shenan Stanley, Jul 26, 2010
  8. Lorne

    Lorne Guest

    "Lynn McGuire" <> wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to run 16 bit software on a 64 bit system?

    > Yes. Use DosBox ( http://www.dosbox.com/ ).
    >
    > I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
    > own for Win64.
    >
    > Lynn

    Thanks - that looks promising so I will try it.
    Lorne, Jul 27, 2010
  9. Lorne

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    >> I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
    >> own for Win64.

    > I think NTVDM uses virtual 86 mode which isn't available under long mode.

    MS should have built their own DosBox then ...

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 27, 2010
  10. Lorne

    poutnik Guest

    In article <i2mvie$u5o$-september.org>,
    says...

    > >> I don't know why MS could not build a WOW16 emulator of their
    > >> own for Win64.

    > > I think NTVDM uses virtual 86 mode which isn't available under long mode.

    > MS should have built their own DosBox then ...
    >
    > Lynn

    AFAIK DosBox is an emulator, i.e. interprets machine languages .

    Guest and host machine language can be different,
    but it slows down execution many times.

    WOWxx and Virtualization SW 9 VirtualPC, VMWare, VirtualBox
    are on the other side a kind of SandBoxes.

    Guest and Host machine language have to be same
    ( e.g. both for x86 CPU ),
    but code fragments are run natively,
    with overhead of supervising .

    --
    Do you know what is difference
    between Windows versions and guided missiles ?
    poutnik, Jul 27, 2010
  11. Lorne

    Carlos Guest

    Shenan,
    I'm quite aware of that.
    My answer meant to be a complement rather than a replacement.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 28, 2010