    application". Microsoft support has NO info on this. I've tried expanding
    rundll32.exE from the recovery cd using this command: "expand \i386
    \rundll32.ex_ %Systemroot%\rundll32.exe". No successs...yipes...help

    Abe Bill, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Abe Bill

    °Mike° Guest

    You say that the machine was (maybe still is) infested
    with "vermin", yet you don't say what, or how you
    went about removing such "vermin" -- there may be
    damaged files all over the hard drive. Have you tried
    the system file checker?

    Start --> Run --> sfc /scannow

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 05:19:41 GMT, in
    <NvzXc.193805$>
    Abe Bill scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Abe Bill

    Abe Bill Guest

    Hello °Mike°, thanks for your interest. I disinfected occurances of 378
    worms, trojans, browser hijackers, dialers and viriii, etc., along with
    1250 infeected files. Where does one start the list? I used F-Prot in
    DOS before I was able to get XP to load. I then installed Avast and
    Spybot and both ran on a restart. I have not deleted Restore Points.
    Will do that next time I get in.

    I had not considered System File Check...thanks for mentioning it. If
    memory serves me...SFC is a find a file...prompt tp replace...find next
    file prompt tp replace...very tedious. Never ran it in XP, maybe I'm
    mistaken. If not, know of a way to batch it ?

    °Mike° <> wrote in

    Abe Bill, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Abe Bill

    °Mike° Guest

    No, SFC will replace system files automatically. You
    will probably be prompted to reboot, to allow SFC to
    replace files 'in use'.

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:58:56 GMT, in
    <kR2Yc.280728$>
    Abe Bill scrawled:

    >Hello °Mike°, thanks for your interest. I disinfected occurances of 378
    >worms, trojans, browser hijackers, dialers and viriii, etc., along with
    >1250 infeected files. Where does one start the list? I used F-Prot in
    >DOS before I was able to get XP to load. I then installed Avast and
    >Spybot and both ran on a restart. I have not deleted Restore Points.
    >Will do that next time I get in.
    >
    >I had not considered System File Check...thanks for mentioning it. If
    >memory serves me...SFC is a find a file...prompt tp replace...find next
    >file prompt tp replace...very tedious. Never ran it in XP, maybe I'm
    >mistaken. If not, know of a way to batch it ?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Abe Bill

    markyoung

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Another possiblity is that you have a 0-length rundll32.exe in your documents. This is what I found.

    C:\>dir "\Documents and Settings\mark\rundll32.exe"
    Volume in drive C is _XP
    Volume Serial Number is E0E3-17FF
    Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\mark
    05/18/2013 10:11 AM 0 rundll32.exe
    1 File(s) 0 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 6,979,198,976 bytes free

    Here is the fix:

    C:\>del "\Documents and Settings\mark\rundll32.exe"

    C:\>dir \rundll32.exe /s/b <-- find all rundll32.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\rundll32.exe <-- this one is not supposed to be there
    C:\i386\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

    markyoung, Aug 31, 2013