    I do to correct this error.?

    Thanks for any help

    keith

    Keith Boeheim, Dec 24, 2004

  2. Keith Boeheim

    Thor Guest

    Run Adaware and Spybot. They will clean out the rest of the wildtangent
    crap. Or, use MSconfig and see if the wild tangent engine is still being
    called at startup. Or, use regedit to search for and remove any instance of
    "cdaengine0400.dll".

    Thor, Dec 24, 2004

  3. Keith Boeheim

    Michael-NC Guest

    Weatherbug is not spyware and it doesn't install wildtangent.

    http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/NotSpyware.html

    You probably got WT loaded in a flash game site.

    Michael-NC, Dec 24, 2004
  4. Keith Boeheim

    Thor Guest

    Weatherbug isn't as innocent as they would like people to think. I've always
    considered it "adware", because it serves up ads, and those ads support the
    program, hence what the term "adware" has traditionally meant whether it is
    accompanied by a surf-monitoring component or not. Whether the ads appear
    within the program or not is irrelevant to me. It also wants to install the
    "my search bar" that hijacks your normal IE search engine page (and I run
    across that idiotic toolbar routinely on spyware infested systems. It's good
    that they actually give you a choice whether to install it during the
    weatherbug installation routine, but it's enabled by default and the people
    at Weatherbug can claim all they want that they don't associate with
    malware, but "My Search" and other sponsered-search toolbars of it's ilk are
    not good things to be distributing if you want to be known as a "white-hat"
    software company, especially when that search toolbar program very much IS
    considered a malware nuisance program. If it wasn't for the scumware like
    that which tags along with the weatherbug installer, and their rather
    squirmy definition of "adware", I wouldn't normally have a big problem with
    them, just like I dont have a problem with a large number of ad-supported
    programs out there, who are forthright about the ads, and offer good value
    in return. But as it is, I recommend people get rid of it. If anything to
    remove one more superfluous resident tray toy launching on startup.

    http://thundercloud.net/infoave/weatherbug-rant.htm
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/MySearch.html

    Thor, Dec 24, 2004
  5. Keith Boeheim

    Michael-NC Guest

    Check the TAC, (treat assessment chart at Adaware for weatherbug. There is
    no entry...

    Weatherbug is a benign app. Alluria Software, author of Spyware Eliminator
    says so.
    https://www.aluriasoftware.com/ssverify.php?resize=1&site=www.weatherbug.comMore to the point, it doesn't install Wild Tangent and it's support page_recommends_ that you download and use spyware and adware detectionprograms.http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/support/faq_spyware.htmIt doesn't get any more benign than that. There is also a paid subscriptionavailable if you don't want the free, ad-supported version. There are a lotof free programs that carry adware, spyware and malware that is installedwithout the user's consent or knowledge, weatherbug isn't one of them."Thor" <> wrote in messagenews:...> Weatherbug isn't as innocent as they would like people to think. I'vealways considered it "adware", because it serves up ads, and those adssupport the program, hence what the term "adware" has traditionally meantwhether it is accompanied by a surf-monitoring component or not. Whether theads appear within the program or not is irrelevant to me. It also wants toinstall the "my search bar" that hijacks your normal IE search engine page(and I run across that idiotic toolbar routinely on spyware infestedsystems. It's good that they actually give you a choice whether to installit during the weatherbug installation routine, but it's enabled by defaultand the people at Weatherbug can claim all they want that they don'tassociate with malware, but "My Search" and other sponsered-search toolbarsof it's ilk are not good things to be distributing if you want to be knownas a "white-hat" software company, especially when that search toolbarprogram very much IS considered a malware nuisance program. If it wasn't forthe scumware like that which tags along with the weatherbug installer, andtheir rather squirmy definition of "adware", I wouldn't normally have a bigproblem with them, just like I dont have a problem with a large number ofad-supported programs out there, who are forthright about the ads, and offergood value in return. But as it is, I recommend people get rid of it. Ifanything to remove one more superfluous resident tray toy launching onstartup.>> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/weatherbug-rant.htm> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/MySearch.html>>>>> "Michael-NC" <> wrote in messagenews:RJ_yd.1015$...>> Weatherbug is not spyware and it doesn't install wildtangent.>>>> http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/NotSpyware.html>>>>>> You probably got WT loaded in a flash game site.>>>>>> "Keith Boeheim" <> wrote in messagenews:2RWyd.43680$...>>> My son is home for the holidays and immediately downloaded aol instantmessenger. He also activated weatherbug which I understand is also spywareso I deleted that program using add/remove program in control panel. Now atstartup a rundll error message comes up saying that"programs\wildtangent]\apps\CDA\cdaengine0400.DLL" can't be found. What canI do to correct this error.?>>>>>> Thanks for any help>>>>>> keith>>>>>>>

    Michael-NC, Dec 25, 2004
  6. Keith Boeheim

    Michael-NC Guest

    Re: repost

    My post didn't format properly. Repost.

    Check the TAC, (treat assessment chart at Adaware for weatherbug. There is
    no entry...

    Weatherbug is a benign app. Alluria Software, author of Spyware Eliminator
    says so.
    https://www.aluriasoftware.com/ssverify.php?resize=1&site=www.weatherbug.com

    More to the point, it doesn't install Wild Tangent and it's support
    page_recommends_ that you download and use spyware and adware detection
    programs.

    http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/support/faq_spyware.htm

    It doesn't get any more benign than that. There is also a paid subscription
    available if you don't want the free, ad-supported version. There are a lot
    of free programs that carry adware, spyware and malware that is installed
    without the user's consent or knowledge, weatherbug isn't one of them.

    BTW Thor, it's been awhile since I've checked in so I'll wish you and all a
    very Merry Christmas.

    Michael-NC, Dec 25, 2004
  7. Keith Boeheim

    Thor Guest

    Re: repost

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > My post didn't format properly. Repost.
    >
    > Check the TAC, (treat assessment chart at Adaware for weatherbug. There is
    > no entry...
    >
    > Weatherbug is a benign app. Alluria Software, author of Spyware Eliminator
    > says so.
    > https://www.aluriasoftware.com/ssverify.php?resize=1&site=www.weatherbug.com
    >
    > More to the point, it doesn't install Wild Tangent and it's support
    > page_recommends_ that you download and use spyware and adware detection
    > programs.

    you missed my point I was making. The fact that Weatherbug itself is benign
    makes little difference to me. It's the fact that they bundle the "Mysearch"
    toolbar crap which arguably IS a pain in the ass, is set to install by
    default, (and it hijacks IE browser settings)

    http://www.aluriasoftware.com/spyware-removal/details/MySearch/

    and also the fact that their claim of not being "adware" based on their
    twisted definition of the term damages their overall credibility in my view.
    Furthermore, I never claimed that it installed Wild Tangent software. Taken
    as a whole, weatherbug isn't a program I would choose to use, or recommend
    to customers, purely on principal, because of how they choose to promote and
    distribute their product. If a company wants to make me confident that they
    are anti-spyware and anti-adware, they should first not attempt to twist the
    definition of "adware" so as to exclude their ad-supported software from
    falling under that heading, and second, they shouldn't bundle browser
    hijacking search toolbars with their "benign" programs, whether it is a
    choice in the setup routine or not.

    > http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/support/faq_spyware.htm
    >
    > It doesn't get any more benign than that. There is also a paid
    > subscription available if you don't want the free, ad-supported version.
    > There are a lot of free programs that carry adware, spyware and malware
    > that is installed without the user's consent or knowledge, weatherbug
    > isn't one of them.
    >
    > BTW Thor, it's been awhile since I've checked in so I'll wish you and all
    > a very Merry Christmas.

    and to you and yours. :)

    Thor, Dec 25, 2004
  8. Re: repost

    OK, My mistake if it isn't spyware. Could you tell me what Wild Tangent is
    associated with and what probably installed it so I can make sure it doesn't
    happen again?

    Thanks and Merry Christmas

    keith

    Keith Boeheim, Dec 25, 2004
  9. Keith Boeheim

    Michael-NC Guest

    Re: repost

    > OK, My mistake if it isn't spyware. Could you tell me what Wild Tangent is
    > associated with and what probably installed it so I can make sure it
    > doesn't happen again?
    >
    > Thanks and Merry Christmas
    >
    > keith

    Most Flash Multi-media games require Wild Tangent to be installed. Example:
    Web site; "Do you want to play "exciting shooting game." Then click "yes to
    install the Wild Tangent Web driver."

    Michael-NC, Dec 25, 2004