    Can someone tell me how I can get Choice to work and again on my PC?

    Thanks in advance,

    BJ

    B. Jensen, Oct 8, 2005

  2. B. Jensen

    Robert Baer Guest

    B. Jensen wrote:
    > My address book program (First Choice) is very old and runs on a DOS
    > platform. I'm using Windows XP Home version on my PC and, until
    > recently, have not had any problems running it. However, now I can not
    > get the program to work and am getting a "Run-Time Error R6009" message
    > when I try to open it.
    >
    > For you old timers, the program is the old First Choice word processing
    > and database program.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how I can get Choice to work and again on my PC?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > BJ

    That run-time error is from the software itself, and having
    experience with a goodly variety of DOS programs, i can 99.9 percent
    guarantee that R6009 is not in any manual that came with the software -
    and if it just happens to be listed, the "explaination" is worthless.
    Furthermore even if you had encountered that problem within the
    warrantee period (usually 1 year from buying it), the vender would give
    no satisfaction or cure.
    **
    Your message seems to imply that the program did work in XP, and that
    is hard to believe based on what i have heard about XP (no MSDOS
    "window" available).
    Perhaps you can remember exactly what the program would do at the
    point of the error, and maybe relate that to the following operations:
    screen reads, direct screen writes (that is how DOS programs got fast
    visuals), write to the printer (ie: as if a file), read/write to a
    serial port, any game I/O, or any audio card I/O.
    Wyndoz will not allow such foolishness; it wants to be the KING and
    rule all.

    Robert Baer, Oct 8, 2005

  3. B. Jensen

    Fred Guest

    B. Jensen wrote:
    > My address book program (First Choice) is very old and runs on a DOS
    > platform. I'm using Windows XP Home version on my PC and, until
    > recently, have not had any problems running it. However, now I can
    > not get the program to work and am getting a "Run-Time Error R6009"
    > message when I try to open it.
    >
    > For you old timers, the program is the old First Choice word
    > processing and database program.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how I can get Choice to work and again on my PC?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > BJ

    Did you instal any other programs lately. Maybe there has been a conflict.
    Perhaps you could try a system restore to a time when it was working.
    Something similar here.
    http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?s=f331f3f775b6ca5585e2b4d878e6e4b4&p=2233098#post2233098

    Fred, Oct 9, 2005