    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    Gary
    Gary, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Gary

    bopper2 Guest

    Sounds like a bios or controller problem. Go to MS site an searc
    using the error message. You'll surely get some insight. Try googlin
    the error
    Can setup see the hard disk? Be the first thing I'd try
    bopper2, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Did the MS knownledge base thing and Goggled for it as I'm not a
    greenhorn.......Yes the bios does seen recognize the drive.

    Gary, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Gary

    pgluth1 Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in

    > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >> Did the MS knownledge base thing and Goggled for it as I'm not a
    >> greenhorn.......Yes the bios does seen recognize the drive.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 03:50:34 GMT, lid (bopper2) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sounds like a bios or controller problem. Go to MS site an search
    >>>using the error message. You'll surely get some insight. Try googling
    >>>the error.
    >>>Can setup see the hard disk? Be the first thing I'd try.

    > if the bios didn't recignize the drive, he wouldn't even be able to
    > get to the login screen.

    (Disclaimer - I am not A+ certified - I only tinker with computers as a
    hobby. However, it is a hobby I have pursued for 20 years.)

    I did some googling - me being a greenhorn notwithstanding - and thought
    I saw a consensus that the error 71 pointed to the fact that a drive
    OTHER than the C drive could not be found - i.e., a Zip or particularly a
    floppy drive. That this happens on boot-up is peculiar unless there is a
    program in the startup routine that should load.

    I agree that trashing around and looking for programs that are trying to
    load upon boot-up would be my first place to look. If you can't get it up
    in safe mode, you might try a boot disk or if you feel comfortable with
    it, I always reach for my Knoppix disk.

    There were a few other postings that indicated the same symptoms
    happening because of a worm - W32.Aimdes.A@mm, or adware. Same problem,
    different cause.

    good luck, these things usually aren't serious, just pesky time-wasters.
    pgluth1, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Gary

    smackedass Guest

    > There were a few other postings that indicated the same symptoms
    > happening because of a worm - W32.Aimdes.A@mm, or adware. Same problem,
    > different cause.

    I was thinking adware, myself. I'd run Hijack This, in safe mode, if
    necessary, and see if there's anything obvious.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Cleaned out 348 instances of Spyware with Adaware while Microsoft
    found nothing. still have the same problem. Disabled eveything in the
    Startup folder using MSconfig in a Safeboot mode with no results.
    Looks like its time to recover the data and rebuild the drive just
    waiting for the owner to furnish me with the XP Pro Cd and a Valid
    Key.

    Thanks for all your assistance,

    Gary

    Gary, Dec 5, 2005