run > ipconfig > net stop dhcp then > net start dhcp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fayza, May 11, 2004.

  1. Fayza

    Fayza Guest

    I'm having a networking problem. I connected to the network at school.
    No problems. Came back home, turned my computer back on (plugged into
    my home cable modem) and the Internet AGAIN wouldn't work. So I did run
    > ipconfig > net stop dhcp then > net start dhcp and this worked...but

    why am I having to do this? I had to do this earlier today, too.
    What's wrong with my computer so that it does not just automatically
    detect a network, authenticate, and connect? It used to do that just
    fine. Help!
    Fayza, May 11, 2004

  2. Fayza

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:04:59 GMT, Fayza <>
    wrote:

    >I'm having a networking problem. I connected to the network at school.
    > No problems. Came back home, turned my computer back on (plugged into
    >my home cable modem) and the Internet AGAIN wouldn't work. So I did run
    > > ipconfig > net stop dhcp then > net start dhcp and this worked...but

    >why am I having to do this?

    What OS? In 2000 and XP, you shouldn't have to stop and restart the
    DHCP client just to pick up IP settings. What happens if you just do
    ipconfig /release and /renew? (Technically, those should be redundant
    too, but you never know...)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 11, 2004

  3. Fayza

    Fayza Guest

    Dan Shea wrote:

    > What OS?

    XP.

    > In 2000 and XP, you shouldn't have to stop and restart the
    > DHCP client just to pick up IP settings.

    But I've had to lately.

    > What happens if you just do
    > ipconfig /release and /renew? (Technically, those should be redundant
    > too, but you never know...)

    Not sure...didn't try that. Just stopped and restarted the DHCP client.
    Fayza, May 12, 2004
  4. Fayza

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:39:29 GMT, Fayza <>
    wrote:

    >Dan Shea wrote:
    >
    >> What OS?

    >XP.
    >
    >> In 2000 and XP, you shouldn't have to stop and restart the
    >> DHCP client just to pick up IP settings.

    >But I've had to lately.

    Not necessarily. You might be able to get IP settings simply by using
    ipconfig /release and /renew. I strongly suspect your DHCP client
    service is still active (i.e. you don't need to stop/restart it), but
    it's not picking up your settings from DHCP for some reason.

    Windows XP should notice when it's connected to and disconnected from
    a network. When it connects, it should automatically pick up an IP
    address via DHCP. The order in which you do things (plug in modem,
    turn on computer, etc.) shouldn't matter, but it might in this case.
    If it doesn't, enabling/disabling the LAN connection might do the
    trick as well.

    Are you going into standby mode between connecting at school and
    connecting at home?

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 12, 2004