    to another guy and he tells me that it won't run at all. When the program
    runs it keeps freezing, sometimes it trys to load but then stops. Any ideas
    out there? Anybody else using this program successfully?
    bboyd23, May 20, 2008

  2. bboyd23

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, BBoyd.

    I can offer you sympathy and empathy, but not much else. :^{ (And I'm
    assuming a lot here because you never mentioned which version of Premiere
    Elements you have. Your post doesn't even mention either Vista or WinXP.)

    I've never run Premiere Elements, but I've run Photoshop Elements for years,
    ever since about PSE 2 and including PSE 3, 4 and 6 (skipped 5). The
    earlier ones were in WinXP Pro and generally gave me no problems. I don't
    recall if I ever tried it in WinXP x64. I was running PSE 4 when I joined
    the Vista beta in about August 2005 and tested both x86 and x64 through the
    end of the beta in November 2006. I've run nothing but Vista Ultimate x64
    since Vista RTM, except for occasional excursions into 32-bit and WinXP X64
    just to check out something.

    I complained bitterly about PSE 4 during the Vista beta, mostly about
    compatibility problems that prevented installation - or running after the
    install. But by RTM, it was installing and running properly in both x86 and
    x64. Then I upgraded to PSE 6 and have had only minor problems with that.

    Adobe has not been very helpful. Their Help files and websites offer a lot
    of generic help, but it's up to us to comb through and find which of the
    many suggestions MIGHT apply to our case. And their jargon makes
    Microsoftese look like a kindergarten primer. :>(

    Vista's "compatibility mode" is NOT for 32-bit compatibility. If you
    right-click on the executable and click Properties then the Compatibility
    tab, you'll see the options, which are for other Windows versions (Win95,
    Win2K, WinXP SP2, etc.), not for other hardware platforms. The PSE 6
    package lists "or Windows Vista" under System Requirements, with no
    distinction between x86 and x64. In fact, there are almost no 64-bit
    applications on the market today (at least for consumers) and all 32-bit
    applications that run on 32-bit Vista must also run on Vista x64. That's
    one of the rules. ;^}

    HOW have you tried to install Premiere Elements? Have you right-clicked the
    setup file and chosen to Run as Administrator? Are you the Administrator?
    "I've tried it" doesn't tell us enough to help you. Neither does "Didn't
    work". We need a step-by-step narrative of what you did and what results
    you saw, including any error messages.

    I can't find any newsgroups with either "premiere" or "adobe elements" in
    their titles. Have you tried Google?

    Sorry I can't offer more help than that. When you find the solution, please
    post back so that we'll be better able to help the next person with a
    similar problem.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, May 20, 2008

  3. bboyd23

    Jim Guest

    On May 19, 10:47 pm, bboyd23 <>
    wrote:

    > I'm trying to run Adobe Premiere Elements on my new 64 bit laptop but am
    > having nothing but problems.  Adobe can't seem to help me, I talk to one
    > person and get told that it will run in 32 bit compatibility mode and I talk
    > to another guy and he tells me that it won't run at all.  When the program
    > runs it keeps freezing, sometimes it trys to load but then stops.  Any ideas
    > out there?  Anybody else using this program successfully?

    I too am sympathetic, but no hopeful. I have Adobe Creative Suite 3
    Web Premiere on my Vista 64-bit system. Adobe update will not update
    Illustrator properly. Fortunately, the other programs, which are the
    ones I need, update properly. I called Adobe and they said that they
    do *not* guarantee 64-bit compatibility. Adobe told me to post my
    concerns to the Users Forums. I haven't bothered yet.

    I do not think Adobe is very concerned because there are not enough of
    us complaining out here.

    Jim
    Jim, May 21, 2008
  4. bboyd23

    LAXn''DRUMS Guest

    idk if this will help... but

    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=332888&sliceId=2

    LAXn''DRUMS, May 26, 2008
  5. bboyd23

    King Vista Guest

    I too am having the same problem while trying to run Adobe Premier
    Elements.
    This is the second time that I have tried to install APE 3.0 on x6
    W/Vista.
    Each time the same thing happens, my computer freezes up and the onl
    way that I am able to take control back is, by manual shut-down.

    Sorry that I cannot offer any support or advice, but I too am lookin
    for a solution to this problem and look forward to any post on thi
    subject

    --
    King Vist
    King Vista's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/king-vista.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i
    King Vista, Feb 24, 2009
  6. See http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565 .
    Premiere Elements 3 is supported on 32-bit Vista only and needs the
    3.0.2 update to work correctly.

    If you want a supported version under x64 Vista you will need to upgrade
    to PE 4 or 7.

    Dominic Payer, Feb 24, 2009
  7. This is my first visit to this forum and this post just happened t
    catch my eye. I'm taking delivery of a new Dell PC tomorrow which run
    64 bit Vista. My prior experience has been with Windows XP (32 bit). I'
    researching whether my Adobe Photoshop Elements ver. 6 will run under 6
    bit Vista. According to Microsoft, it won't. Surprisingly, since m
    Microsoft Office 2003, which I owned prior to Photoshop Elements, wil
    run, according to the Microsoft website on Vista compatibility. At thi
    point, my remedy may apply to your issue as well. It is possible (an
    not difficult, I understand) to use the tools Vista provides t
    partition the hard drive and create a "dual-boot" configuration wit
    Windows XP 32 bit being the bootable operating system in the othe
    partition. That partition would house all of that older software whic
    will not run under 64 bit Vista. Partitions can be set up and manage
    using software such as Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director, an
    there are others. This arrangement will allow us to run old and ne
    software to our hearts' content. The other option would be to downgrad
    the whole system to 32 bit Win XP. Which may not be compatible with th
    rest of the hardware on the system, since, being a new system, "rol
    back drivers" will probably not be an option.

    I'll bookmark this forum since I'm curious as to what suggestion
    others might have.

    Caro

    --
    kittyfiftyfiv
    kittyfiftyfive's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kittyfiftyfive.ht

    kittyfiftyfive, Mar 10, 2009
  8. See
    http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/adobe_products_and_windows_vista.pdf

    Elements 5 (with the 5.0.2 update) and later will run on Vista.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 10, 2009
  9. bboyd23

    Bogey Man Guest

    "kittyfiftyfive" <> wrote in message

    > This is my first visit to this forum and this post just happened to
    > catch my eye. I'm taking delivery of a new Dell PC tomorrow which runs
    > 64 bit Vista. My prior experience has been with Windows XP (32 bit). I'm
    > researching whether my Adobe Photoshop Elements ver. 6 will run under 64
    > bit Vista. According to Microsoft, it won't. Surprisingly, since my
    > Microsoft Office 2003, which I owned prior to Photoshop Elements, will
    > run, according to the Microsoft website on Vista compatibility. At this
    > point, my remedy may apply to your issue as well. It is possible (and
    > not difficult, I understand) to use the tools Vista provides to
    > partition the hard drive and create a "dual-boot" configuration with
    > Windows XP 32 bit being the bootable operating system in the other
    > partition. That partition would house all of that older software which
    > will not run under 64 bit Vista. Partitions can be set up and managed
    > using software such as Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director, and
    > there are others. This arrangement will allow us to run old and new
    > software to our hearts' content. The other option would be to downgrade
    > the whole system to 32 bit Win XP. Which may not be compatible with the
    > rest of the hardware on the system, since, being a new system, "roll
    > back drivers" will probably not be an option.
    >
    > I'll bookmark this forum since I'm curious as to what suggestions
    > others might have.
    >
    > Carol

    I have Vista Home Premium x64 and have Adobe Photoshop Elements ver. 6
    running without any problem on my machine.
    --
    Ron
    Bogey Man, Mar 11, 2009
  10. bboyd23

    rick53 Guest

    I recently purchased an HP Pavilion dv4-1431us laptop running Vista x64
    Home Premium. I own and wanted to install Adobe PSE6.

    The first attempt at an install, by simply inserting the disk and
    following the normal procedure, resulted in the computer locking up
    before the install was complete. Recovery involved manually turning the
    computer off, booting in safe mode, and doing a restore point. I would
    not recommend trying this.

    The second attempt worked perfectly and here is how I did it:

    Photoshop Elements 6.0 On Windows Vista x64
    • Copy the files from the original CD to the hard disk
    • Right Click on “Autoplay.exe” wherever the files
    are stored on hard disk
    • Click the “Compatibility” tab
    • Under Compatibility Mode, check “Run this program in
    compatibility mode for:”
    • In the box below this selection, select “Windows XP
    (Service Pack 2)”
    • Click “Apply”
    • Click the Start button and type “msconfig” in the
    search box and press enter
    • Select “Selective Startup”
    • Click on the “Startup” tab
    • Click on “Disable All”
    • Click on the “Services” tab
    • Check “Hide all microsoft services”
    • Click on “Disable All”
    • Click on “OK”
    • Reboot
    • Goto wherever the CD files are stored on hard disk and right
    click on “Autoplay.exe”
    • Select “Run as Administrator” (make sure you have
    administrator privileges)

    Hopefully the program will install as normal from here on

    • After install, don’t forget to change boot back to normal
    using msconfig

    Hope this helps someone out there.

    Rick

    PS: Sorry, I realize now that I posted this in the wrong place as this
    column is "Premiere Elements" and the above procedure applies to
    "Elements". I do own Premiere Elements 4.0 and plan to attempt
    installation using the same procedure as above, but I haven't done so
    yet. If anyone tries before I do, please let us know if it works.

    Thanks,
    Rick

    --
    rick53
    rick53's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138180.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in
    rick53, Sep 24, 2009
  11. bboyd23

    saicam Guest

    Has enough time past since these posts?

    I recently purchased Premere Elements 8 and noticed that the more
    memory my PC has the smoother the problem runs. Since 32 bit system can
    only see 3 GB of ram no matter how much you have installed, I have been
    looking at a 6GB ram unit with the new 64 bit (windows 7) OS

    Maybe all the bugs have been worked out by now? I noticed must post
    are using older versions of Adobe Premere Elements and some post are
    actually photoshop.

    --
    saicam
    saicam's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157568.htm

    saicam, Nov 24, 2009
  12. bboyd23

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, saicam.

    Slight correction:

    > Since 32 bit system can
    > only see 3 GB of ram no matter how much you have installed,

    A 32-bit system can see and use 4 GB of RAM. But most systems use the top
    part of the 4 GB address space for hardware drivers and other overhead. The
    amount of this overhead varies, but the typical system has about 3.2 GB
    available for the computer user. In 64-bit systems, this overhead is moved
    far out of the way, so the full 4 or 6 or 8 - or 128? GB can be used by the
    operating system.

    It's basically just binary arithmetic.
    2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296 = 4 GB
    2 ^ 64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 = 18 exabytes - or over 18 billion GB -
    or some other number bigger than I can imagine!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 24, 2009
  13. bboyd23

    saicam Guest

    saicam, Nov 25, 2009
  14. bboyd23

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, saicam.

    > Do you know this Software? ( Adobe Premere Elements 8)

    No. I've run Adobe Photoshop Elements (3, 4, 6 and now 8), but have never
    run Premiere Elements.

    While we were beta testing Vista Ultimate x64 in 2006, PSE 4.0 was one of
    the LAST applications to become compatible with 64-bit Vista. It finally
    began to run properly just as Vista "went gold". PSE 4, then 6 and now 8
    run well in Win7 x64. I don't know if it runs better in x64 than in x86
    because I haven't run 32-bit Vista or Win7 since late 2006.

    Adobe is slow to recognize that 64-bit is here. Their Flash Player will
    work in 32-bit IE8 on 64-bit Windows, but not in 64-bit IE8. See:
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html By starting there, you might
    find your answer about Premiere Elements. The closest I've been able to
    come is this discouraging paragraph about Vista x64, with no mention of
    Windows 7:
    Note: For those versions of Premiere Elements that are compatible with
    Windows Vista, the 64 bit versions of Vista are not supported. Premiere
    Elements is compatible with 64 bit versions of Windows Vista. It has been
    tested on 64 bit Vista, and there are no known issues that are specific to
    the 64 bit version of the OS, However, Premiere Elements is not a 64 bit
    application. It runs on 64 bit Vista in 32-bit compatibility mode.
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403402.html

    I hope this helps.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    P.S.: My previous post should have said that 2 ^ 64 is 16 exabytes, not 18.
    Not that it matters.

    R. C. White, Nov 25, 2009