    Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
    banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.

    Thanks
    Why, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Why

    Crunch Guest

    Why wrote:

    > What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
    > Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
    > banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
    >
    > Thanks

    You need a router.
    If the laptop has wireless you might want to get a wireless router.
    The router should come with easy to follow "quick start" instructions.

    If the laptop has wireless built in you might want a wireless router,
    otherwise just get a regular router.
    --

    Crunch
    -----------------
    Crunch, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Why

    W8LifterJ Guest

    If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you could try
    connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that receives the DSL
    connection via the network cards on each computer.

    --
    I hope......

    You have a G....R....E....A....T Day!!!

    Most people look up and admire the stars;
    a champion climbs the mountain and grabs one."
    W8LifterJ, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Why

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:41:44 +0000, Why wrote:

    > What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
    > Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
    > banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
    >
    > Thanks

    Buy a cheap-assed router.

    Meat Plow, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Why

    Peter Guest

    BT Yahoo gave a cheap jack router when I signed up to Broadband and that
    enables two connections at the same time and works fine. So I'm sure for a
    few quid you could get hold of one to do the job.

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Why

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Crunch wrote:
    > Why wrote:
    >

    >>What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
    >>Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
    >>banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > You need a router.
    > If the laptop has wireless you might want to get a wireless router.
    > The router should come with easy to follow "quick start" instructions.
    >
    > If the laptop has wireless built in you might want a wireless router,
    > otherwise just get a regular router.

    Hmmm. Online banking and using a wireless router? Sounds like asking for
    trouble. A wired router would be OK. But I would want 256 bit encryption
    to do wireless routing with bank info. Either that or you would have to
    get a router whose firmware included really good protection of wireless
    data.
    FK
    Fred Kasner, Mar 13, 2006
  7. > If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you could try
    > connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that receives the DSL
    > connection via the network cards on each computer.

    NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two IP
    addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:

    1, it just won't work

    or

    2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.

    A router is best here.
    David Matthew Wood, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Why

    Why Guest

    >Crunch wrote:
    >> Why wrote:
    >>

    >>>What do I need to run 2 computers off 1 dsl line?
    >>>Can they both be used at the same time? Wife wants to do on-line
    >>>banking on her laptop while I'm using my desktop on dsl.

    >> If the laptop has wireless built in you might want a wireless router,
    >> otherwise just get a regular router.

    Her laptop has built in wireless.

    >Hmmm. Online banking and using a wireless router? Sounds like asking for
    >trouble. A wired router would be OK. But I would want 256 bit encryption
    >to do wireless routing with bank info. Either that or you would have to
    >get a router whose firmware included really good protection of wireless
    >data.
    >FK

    I was worried about that, bought a Linksys BeFW11S4. I can just run a
    25 foot cable like what goes to my computer from the dsl on that
    router. & have that cable run to where she has her desk. So what cable
    do I need to get that's 25 foot & where would I order one?
    Thanks for all the help
    Why, Mar 13, 2006
  9. Why

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    David Matthew Wood wrote:
    >> If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you could try
    >> connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that receives the DSL
    >> connection via the network cards on each computer.

    > NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two IP
    > addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:

    No it won't.

    > 1, it just won't work
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.

    Bullshit. In most cases it will work fine.

    > A router is best here.

    Agreed.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Mar 13, 2006
  10. Why

    asrizan Guest

    It is good to plan your home network with DSL. I will tell you how i did to
    make it more confortable.

    I used wireless products to build my home network. I will tell you about
    wireless basic set up here.

    To get started on building a wireless network, you need :

    Broadband connection such as DSL/Cable with a modem or existing Local Area
    Network connection
    A wireless router or access point depending upon your connection
    Wireless network adapters for all computers that you wish to add to your
    wireless network

    Its very easy and portable. Have fun!
    asrizan, Mar 14, 2006
  11. It will only work if the modem has a router built in. Some do not, and
    without knowing for sure, it is best not to try this as yes, it can
    attempt to pull two IP addresses from the ISP - that is, if it even
    works at all.

    David Matthew Wood, Mar 18, 2006
  12. I agree that your best bet is a router. this will also act as a firewall,
    and therefore will get you a 2 in 1 solution, a shared connection, as well
    as protection.

    That being said, if you have 2 Network cards in your primary computer that
    is receiving your DSL signal, you should be able to enable Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS) in windows, and that should create a NAT, and will
    not request another IP from your ISP.

    Nowadays though, routers are so cheap, and so much simpler to setup that I
    don't see a reason why you shouldn't go with that solution instead...

    Georges Khairallah, Mar 18, 2006
  13. Why

    Top Guest

    Oldus Fartus <> was smiling when s/he wrote

    > David Matthew Wood wrote:
    >>> If your DSL modem is connected to your computer via USB port, you
    >>> could try connecting your 2nd computer to the host computer that
    >>> receives the DSL connection via the network cards on each computer.

    >> NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two
    >> IP addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:
    >>

    > No it won't.
    >
    >> 1, it just won't work
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> 2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.
    >>

    > Bullshit. In most cases it will work fine.
    >
    >> A router is best here.

    > Agreed.

    One other thought is a small switch. I have a 2 line and a 4 line switch
    that I've used for that specific purpose in the past. Worked fine and
    only used one (1) IP.

    Top

    --
    If it walks like a duck ... you know the rest.
    I keep hitting escape but I'm still here !@#$@#$% !
    Top, Mar 18, 2006
  14. Why

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Top wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus <> was smiling when s/he wrote

    >>>NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two
    >>>IP addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:
    >>>

    >>No it won't.

    My ISP InsightBB at the time can and does detect if a computer's NIC is
    setting there behind an ICS NIC and force additional IP's to be assigned
    to the user's account. The ISP will detect each NIC's MAC behind the
    ICS\machine so if one has a standalone hub or switch connected to the
    ICS machine, the ISP is going to see every last one of the machines as
    they try to access the Internet and make one pay $5.00 extra a month for
    each machine that must be registered in addition to your normal monthly
    bill.

    InsightBB cannot detect any machine's NIC MAC sitting behind a NAT router.

    >>>1, it just won't work
    >>>
    >>>or
    >>>
    >>>2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.
    >>>

    >>Bullshit. In most cases it will work fine.

    Without that router sitting there, some IP(s) are going to make you pay
    extra for each NIC MAC it detects trying to access its network.

    >>>A router is best here.

    >>Agreed.

    Agreed.

    > One other thought is a small switch. I have a 2 line and a 4 line switch
    > that I've used for that specific purpose in the past. Worked fine and
    > only used one (1) IP.

    Yeah, with some ISP's that may work.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Mar 18, 2006
  15. Why

    Badger Guest

    > It will only work if the modem has a router built in. Some do not, and
    > without knowing for sure, it is best not to try this as yes, it can
    > attempt to pull two IP addresses from the ISP - that is, if it even
    > works at all.

    >> > NOOOOOOOO don't do that. In most cases, this will try to force two IP
    >> > addresses from the ISP. One of two things will happen here:
    >> >

    >> No it won't.
    >>
    >> > 1, it just won't work
    >> >
    >> > or
    >> >
    >> > 2, your ISP might make you pay for a second IP address.
    >> >

    >> Bullshit. In most cases it will work fine.
    >>
    >> > A router is best here.

    >> Agreed.

    I used a crossover cable to connect my wife's computer with mine and set up
    a home network. Easy to do and it works perfectly. We can both be online at
    the same time.
    Badger
    Badger, Mar 18, 2006